Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  7:13:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls!

I usually have tons of birds at my bird feeders. Bought a new bag of feed, filled them up...not a one bird at either feeder for days! Could the seed be bad? How would I know? Or could it be hawks or other predators around? What do you all think? I am perplexed at this. Never had it happen.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - May 27 2015 :  7:48:24 PM  Show Profile
how odd!!! we do not get too many birds at the feeders this time of the year because there are other things for them to eat, but here are my thoughts... a) is anyone else having the same issue? b) you can check for a recall of the bird feed online c) you can buy a different brand of feed, put the other stuff in a container and refill with the new stuff... if they eat it, you know it was probably the food, d) keep an eye out during the day for hawks, predators, etc... if they are there, they don't usually care whether they are seen or not! e) are you having weird weather or is some headed your way?

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 28 2015 :  8:08:14 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I have what seems to be good seed, everything is the same...I think it is the new mulch that is under the bird feeders! That is the only thing different, but why would that make the birds not go near the feeder? Today I watched one sit on the back of the bench and just look at the feeder. He never actually landed on it! Even the squirrels won't go near it! The mulch is natural, undyed mulch. Any ideas on this one?

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - May 30 2015 :  12:17:33 PM  Show Profile
Hey girlie! Okay - first of all... Is it a metal feeder, or does it have little metal bars for them to perch on? The metal bars get very hot and can actually burn their little claws. Also, if there is even an inkling of mold in the seeds, the birds won't eat it. Finally, is there anything on the ground or hanging near it like a hose? A hose or rope or even the rounded top of black garden edging can look like a snake to a bird and spook them from getting close to the feeder - they want to eat, after all, not be eaten! LOL! And it could be the mulch, too. I wonder if maybe the mulch itself is moldy and the smell is the problem??? I'll ask around. I have a good friend who is totally into her bird friends - she may have some other thoughts for you...but I hope some of these things help a little! Good luck! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 30 2015 :  2:44:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nini!

Good questions. I did observe a few little birds finally go to the feeder, but it's taken over a week. One feeder is a metal one, but it is in the shade. The other is a homemade feeder...a pottery plate on a pole (a wonderful MJF project). They aren't going to either. Nothing else is new except for the mulch, which I have to admit, I found a bit "stinky". Not since the day we put it down, has a bird gone to it. But why? It isn't overly stinky and the bird feeders are really pretty far off the ground. One hangs, the other is on a long pole. I thought maybe redtail hawks, since we have those, but my rooster usually screams and I haven't noticed them. The birds will go away but return as soon as the hawk is gone. It is really perplexing...I would love to hear your friend's take on it. Farmgirl Hugs, Nicole

PS We MUST speak/write again soon. I do miss you. My fault, this spring has been crazy!

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2318 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2318 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2015 :  7:50:36 PM  Show Profile
I had the same problem last week, but mine was self inflicted. You girls will love this story. I had a super busy day and the last thing on my to do list for the day was fill the bird feeders since both were almost empty. It was just getting dusk when I got the ladder out of the garage took down both feeder, turned the light on in my potting room which isn't very bright, filled the feeders from the closest bag on the shelf and hung them back up in the dark. I didn't notice for a couple of days that I didn't have any birds at the feeders, nor was the bird seed the right color. So upon further investigation of the bag I filled the feeders from, it turns out birds don't really care for grass seed. LOL. Yep, I put Kentucky Blue Grass in both of them. Now my birds are back and happy again and next time I will double check what I am putting in thier feeders.

Hugs
Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Birds not going to feeders? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page