katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  7:10:12 PM  Show Profile
So, most of you FarmGirls know that my health is kind of in the toilet right now, and I am truely having hard time dealing with tough subjects....real life and fiction....
SOO...I wondered if you could all chime in and let me know of some good "gentle reads" A nice story: nothing scary, or violent happening to women and children. I have read alot of good books lately, but they all have been kind of heavy, and right now, I need a sweet story. Or something funny. A laugh would do me good.
Thanks girls
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  8:03:21 PM  Show Profile
Okay, Kate - "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris had me laughing out loud on an airplane and about crying with laughter during a convention break a few years ago. It's a little raucous and irreverent, but it's darn funny. Also, "West With the Night" by Beryl Markham is an amazing story of a woman in Africa in the early '20's that is absolutely wonderful. Let me think... I know there are more.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  8:05:45 PM  Show Profile
"Ruffles on my Longjohns" by Isabel Edwards - great read by a remarkable and inspiring woman who made a homestead from nothing in the north.
Dick Turner's books - his experiences living in the north...they are like listening to stories around a campfire. Nahanni was particularly good.
There's a couple of suggestions!
Take care Kate,
Di
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  8:08:48 PM  Show Profile
The Phillip Gulley books I have been reading (home to harmony series) are sweet stories of small town life and there are plenty of laughs too..I know you would like them. Also..Redbird christmas by Fannie Flagg is very sweet.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  8:35:31 PM  Show Profile
Kate- Let's hope you are on the mend! Have you ever read Jeanne Marie Laskas 50 Acres and a Poodle? There is a sequel, Exact Same Moon and both are fun reads that will have you laughing out loud.

Check out faithandrewsbedford.com. She used to write a column Kids In the Country for Country Living magazine and I always loved her stories. The site also says she has a new book, Barefoot Summers.

Jo Northrop also wrote a column before Faith and she was a wonderful essayist. I think she has some books also, those I will have to look for she had such a way of seeing things even though she was legally blind. It was always the very first thing I read in Country Living.
Don't forget Gladys Tabor too! I also like any book by Eric Sloane for country life and living. Big hugs, feel better SOON!!!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2006 :  10:03:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls..
I knew I could count on you!
Libbie..One of my all time favorite is Out of Africa...oh I love that book. And the movie! I love the music, cinematography, and the scene when he washes her hair! I love Meryl Streep...I will definately check out those books.

Thanks Di, Jenny and Bramble, I am going to go to out library's on line page and see what they have.
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  10:15:29 AM  Show Profile
I have to agree with Libbie - David Sedaris is such a hoot and the book she mentioned is very good.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  10:26:27 AM  Show Profile
At Home In Mitford by Jan karon......here is the link to bulletin board at her website....It will tell you the kind of folks that read her books http://bb.mitfordbooks.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=1

Go to Top of Page

smallcoffee
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Susan

18 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  5:20:18 PM  Show Profile
Another suggestion is the books by Miss Read. The Fairacre series is about a schoolteacher in a small English village. Very gentle.
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  05:36:12 AM  Show Profile
The Heavenly Daze series by Lori Wick is a hoot. The first book starts a little slow, but after that they are a wonderful light and funny read.
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BusyBee
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Florence
Richmond Texas
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  6:50:09 PM  Show Profile
I love the Miss Read books about the quiet comings and goings in an
English country village. Hope you are feeling better soon.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Gently reads.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page