Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  07:18:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls!

My daughter is wanting to get some bunnies to show for 4-H and to snuggle and play with. We are new to this world and don't know much about raising rabbits etc. Is anyone able to give some advice or words of wisdom? We are looking at the mini to dwarf sized bunnies.

Thanks! :)

Farmgirl Hugs!

~April
River Valley Farmgirls
Chapter Leader

~Playing in the Sonshine~

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9394 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9394 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  09:42:15 AM  Show Profile
Bunnies are definitely a commitment. They have to have clean water at all times and they do lots of fertilizing. LOL! Actually, their droppings make fantastic fertilizer if you have a garden. I'm sure she will give them lots of love and care. Of course if you are getting more than one you will definitely end up with lots more.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

36paws20hooves
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Danielle
Weirsdale Florida
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  2:54:59 PM  Show Profile
I have lots of bunnies! Several different breeds. Are you wanting a inside bunny or is it going to be an outside bunny?

I'm so busy I don't know if I just found a rope or lost my horse!
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  06:54:16 AM  Show Profile
It's going to be an outside bunny, but either in our barn or garage. Not sure where yet. Still trying to figure this stuff out.

Farmgirl Hugs!

~April
River Valley Farmgirls
Chapter Leader

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  10:00:35 AM  Show Profile
all rabbits (unless spayed or neutered) must have their own cage/hutch, with plenty of room to stretch out and get some excersise, bunnys do not do well in the heat, must have shade and cool air, useing fans and frozen 1 or 2 liter soda bottles for them to lay aginst, or even straddle do the job...make sure not to over feed, over weight bunnys have much shorter life spans. If planning on showing, make sure to get your bunnies from reptable breeders, and get their pedigree/papers. most inportent is to have fun...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2015 :  8:19:11 PM  Show Profile
If your daughter is already a member of a 4H club, have her ask the leader about local breeders. For meat rabbits, if you're planning on showing in an upcoming county fair, there are specific dates for breeding to meet the age requirement for the show.

Some fairs have students choose rabbits from a selection of rabbits that the fair provides. Other fairs leave it up to the students to purchase their own rabbits. If you have to purchase your own, try not to get caught up in spending a lot of money on bloodlines. Yes, it can make a win/lose difference to have a better bred rabbit. But, when you're just starting out, the learning process is more important than just winning. If she ends up liking to show, then you can make that financial commitment later.

If these are meat rabbits she'll be showing, she will need to be prepared for the possibility that she will win and the rabbit will go to a buyer and perhaps slaughtered.

4H is an excellent educational group. I think you'll enjoy the experience.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2015 :  05:46:28 AM  Show Profile
We have a pet rabbit. Everyone's advice is right on. They are more work, though, than one would think, so make sure your daughter understands the commitment. Also, everyone thinks bunnies are sweet little balls of fluff, but they can be moody and do show when they are displeased over something. Ours growls, thumps, and has bitten when not happy, but on the flip side she can also be cuddly. A friend of mine had a bunny who would not be held but would sit next to you. Also, I'm not sure how old your daughter is but bunnies are more fragile than you would think. They can break their own spines if frightened and wiggling or dropped.

Our bun is three years old now and we love her. Fresh food and water and Timothy hay everyday,fresh Aspen wood bedding (no pine, it's not good for bunnies as it can be toxic to them if they chew it), and she is a happy bun. Our local 4H has a bunny club. You might be able to find out from yours a good breeder for a pet. Also, there is "find a pet" online and I have seen many adoptable buns that are adorable.

Good luck and enjoy!
"Patches" says, "Go for it!"

She is a holland lop.
We have both an indoor cage and an outdoor cage. We can't keep her outdoors at night because of foxes, ect. here. In the summer if it isn't too hot, we leave her with a frozen water bottle. She comes in at night. During the rest of the time, she is in the house.

Keep us posted!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - May 07 2015 :  10:20:21 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for your advice. We are meeting up with our 4-H Rabbit project leader this weekend who is going to lease us a rabbit for the summer to see if rabbits are a good fit for us. I'll post pics when we pick up the bunny!

Farmgirl Hugs!

~April
River Valley Farmgirls
Chapter Leader

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - May 08 2015 :  08:56:21 AM  Show Profile
April, that is a fantastic set up you have for the summer....leasing a rabbit from your 4H leader. I think you and your daughter will learn a lot.

Question.... After the summer, if y'all decide y'all like having bunnies, will the 4H leader let you purchase/have that one? Y'all sure are going to get attached to her/him and it would be great if you could keep that one.

My daughter showed meat rabbits. She got into breeding and selling them to other students. We also got into butchering for ourselves and others. Probably the easiest way my daughter made money was to breed other peoples' does/females to our good bloodline bucks/males. She charged $25 for a 24 hour period. She would take the doe to the buck every 2 hours for their 'special time'.

I hope this is a great experience for y'all.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Bunny 101 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page