Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 That's it -- NO MORE UNDERWIRES!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic That's it -- NO MORE UNDERWIRES! Next Topic
Page: of 2

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2015 :  08:07:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi All,
I just made an executive decision. After wearing underwire bras for all my adult life, I am giving them up for good. I bought some non underwires for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I am NOT going back. I may look lower, but I am going to be okay with that.

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2015 :  3:03:56 PM  Show Profile
I can't bear "going without" totally, needy. But these underwireless ones are SOOO much more comfortable!
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6914 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6914 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2015 :  3:34:08 PM  Show Profile
They say confession is good for the soul. So I'm fessing up girls. I've been braless since the summer of 1980. It has nothing to do with women's lib or any other political protest. It's plain and simple ~~~ it was Texas heat.

Summer of 1980 was the second summer I worked at LOF ~~~ we made auto glass for GM & Ford. To keep this story short I was an inspector, but when the line went down because the robots were breaking glass along with everyone else I shoved broken glass with a big shovel into big dumpsters. Piles of broken glass ~~~ 2' - 3' hi. It was July 106-110 most days. No A/C in the plant with 3 glass furnaces ~~~ 3000 degrees ~~~ humidity of 80 because of all the washers. I went home one afternoon and the only dry things on me were the pockets on my western shirt and jeans.

Took that bra off and never put one back on. Course it helps that I never had much to put in a bra anyway. As long as a blouse has pockets I'm decent. If there are no pockets then I wear a camisole.

Have a blessed day, Sara
FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2015 :  4:39:54 PM  Show Profile
Hey Mary. I can remember when I couldn't wait till I could wear a bra. Now I wonder, "What was I thinking?!"

It's been just me since July 2008, at the end of a dead-end country road, trying to manage 25 acres and a very needy house. I wear jeans and over-sized T-shirts with the sleeved rolled up and held with those big hair pins we used to use with rollers (my son calls them my 'red-neck sleeve holders') and only put a bra on if someone is coming and it's too hot for a jacket. I volunteer in town one day a week and am so used to going braless that one day I was at the auto shop when I suddenly realized...'something' was missing. Thank goodness I had a light jacket on. :) And it was the most comfortable 'town' day I can remember.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2015 :  10:33:44 PM  Show Profile
I recently discovered yoga bras that are super comfy and made to whisk away moisture. I have to wear a bra, my job requires it and I'm a size C so going braless is not an option. These bras offer support and stay dry and well, comfy. What more can I say? I'll be well-supported when I do my downward-facing dogs. (Yoga talk).
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  05:47:18 AM  Show Profile
Before I had kids I'd go braless all the time. After breastfeeding 3 for a year each... not so much, lol. I try not to wear one at home much, but I guess I'm pretty standard. One thing about bras though, I really do feel you get what you pay for. I'm very frugal, and I hate shopping for clothes, but I will spend money on a good bra, or a good pair of jeans. I can just wing it with the rest! :)

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"It is... through the world of the imagination which takes us beyond the restrictions of provable fact, that we touch the hem of truth." - Madeleine L'Engle

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  12:12:02 PM  Show Profile
No more underwires!?! Hooray! I've been wanting to do that myself and now I'm inspired to go for it. How can those wires even be healthy for us anyway? I can't wait, even though it means I have to go shopping, which I'm also not nuts about. But I bet it'll be worth it!

Amy

In every life there is a story, in every story there is a song.

www.danaherandcloud.com
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  12:46:21 PM  Show Profile
Amy- I ordered my new bras off the unternet. Pretty basic sizing and am happy with them. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  1:50:38 PM  Show Profile
Cindy,

At the risk of sounding dumb, I have to ask...what is a "yoga bra" and where can I find them?

Wanda
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  2:38:24 PM  Show Profile
Wanda--I don't usually shop at Macy's but that's where I found them. They're just sports-style bras that are good for yoga. One cost $19.95 and the other I got for $12.00 cause I had a coupon. I've seen similar ones at Target but i don't know how good they are. I found them in the section where they had athletic-style clothing. Try Kohl's or Target and look in the athletic wear section. Be selective cause there's a lot of variance in quality.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasWildflower
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Wanda
Hallettsville Texas
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  5:33:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Cindy. Lord willing, I'll be going to the 'big city' with my daughter-in-law on Friday. I'll see what I can find.
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2015 :  5:55:45 PM  Show Profile
Mary, good for you! I gave up underwire bras gosh over 12 years ago. I now wear sport bras that zipper in the front. They are so comfy and easy to take off especially after a sweaty day of gardening.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2015 :  06:21:03 AM  Show Profile
It's been a year since I've used my underwires...I have the jockey brand (no-wires), they are like sports bras, but not as restricting and super comfortable.

Farmgirl Hugs!

~April
River Valley Farmgirls
Chapter Leader

~Playing in the Sonshine~
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2015 :  07:13:55 AM  Show Profile
So glad to know I'm not the only one! Yay for sports bras (if I must!) :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.com
Go to Top of Page

modernpioneermama76
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Rebecca
Cavour South Dakota
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2015 :  5:18:45 PM  Show Profile
I have a couple of underside bras for "dress-up" events, a few regular bras for "going to town" (unless it's cold enough for an undershirt and a sweater at least.) At home, I hate wearing one unless I'm doing and activity with a lot of bouncing like horseback riding or bicycling. When I am not at home, I can't wait to get home... so I can remove the torture device.

Farm Families Forevermore
Go to Top of Page

DeniseMGM
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Denise
WI
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  07:20:13 AM  Show Profile
Just letting you know ---- Victoria's Secret has an incredibly comfortable sports bra that's EASY TO PUT ON AND TAKE OFF!!!! Darn it, if a lot of mine running sports bras aren't like squeezing into a vice. Anyway, my daughter and I LOVE the low impact (yoga) bras from VS, and they come into S-M-L so you don't have to worry about one of those pretty young sale associates putting her measuring tape around your torso!!

Denise - Farmgirl #1976

www.lionsdaughter.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  09:12:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Denise! Great info!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  11:04:51 AM  Show Profile
NO underwire bra for me. Painful!
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  12:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Mary! I read the title of your post and all I could say was, "AMEN, SISTER!" If there were ANY way I could comfortably free myself completely from the bondage, I would; but I'm a bit blessed in that area, shall we say, and just need some sort of something to uplift and support. But trust me, I'm with ALL of you! COMPLETELY. Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  1:53:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the rah rah Nini! I think we are really on to something here. A revolution perhaps??
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  2:23:15 PM  Show Profile
Well, sister, I'm no Isadora (a nod to the "Maude" theme, if you're old enough to remember - LOL!), but a less binding revolution sounds heavenly to me! ;)

Funny story: One time I was making a basket out at the Longaberger factory during some big celebration. While weaving my magic, suddenly a wire popped out of my bra, up through my cleavage, straight out of my neckline, and poked me square in the chin. The weaver who was overseeing my work laughed so hard, she almost choked on her own spittle. Yeah... Turning point for Nini. LOL! ;)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Apr 23 2015 2:24:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

michgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

148 Posts

Mary
Glendale WI
USA
148 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2015 :  3:30:12 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a sign from above Nini- and I am old enough to remember Maude ;)
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  1:12:56 PM  Show Profile
I wear a G-cup, so bras are a major torture for me -- wearing, finding, shopping -- the whole bit. It can be so hard to find them in that size without going to a specialty shop and paying horrible amounts. Most department stores don't stock the biggest sizes, so it's usually no use making the trip. "Full Figure" usually goes to about a D-cup, which makes us G's go nuts!!! I have found that Roaman's online has a good selection of larger sizes for really reasonable prices -- they have underwire, non-underwire and front fastening. So glad I found them, but I would love to go without!!!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  8:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
I can't stand underwires! I have been wireless for years! I just ordered some Playtex 18 hr bras. They are quite comfy for when "you have to wear one". ;)
http://www.hanes.com/justmysize/plus-size-intimates/bra-styles/wirefree-plus-size/playtex-18-hour-seamless-bra-21710
http://www.hanes.com/justmysize/plus-size-intimates/bra-styles/wirefree-plus-size/playtex-18-hour-wirefree-bra-21251

As often as I can, I go without (I am a D-DD), b/c there is a lot of information out there about the dangers of bras to your health. Of course, underwires are the worst!
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/05/19/Can-Wearing-Your-Bra-Cause-Cancer.aspx

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

DandeeRose
True Blue Farmgirl

1509 Posts

Alicia
Charlestown, IN
1509 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  8:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Send DandeeRose a Yahoo! Message
HAHA!!! Nini that had to have been priceless!

Many Blessings- Alicia #5232
http://themostlycrunchyfarmgirl.wordpress.com

www.simplyaroma.com/aliciawinkler 100% certified therapeutic grade essential oils
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DandeeRose Farmgirl Accessories and more!
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1496 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1496 Posts

Posted - May 15 2015 :  9:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Mary! I've never worn underwires either...because the materials they use against the skin to secure the wires in place make me itch. But I sure as heck would never, ever switch now. If I didn't have big D's, an active job and work with a bunch of guys I would go bra free all the way but that just isn't an option for me during the week. I buy from Soma Intimates because I found some I am not allergic to but they are very pricy so I stock up when I have a coupon and they are on sale.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic That's it -- NO MORE UNDERWIRES! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page