Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chickens and Goats Next Topic  

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  07:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
My husband and I are getting very close to moving from Florida to our new destination. We have yet decided where that will be. One of the biggest factors that I have undertaken is whether we will have chickens and goats in our lives.
So I have a couple of questions to help me decided which states to look into at the moment.

1. In the winter time when the weather drops below freezing or is around 40 tops how do you keep the animals safe from the elements?

2. Is there any other considerations I need to take into account about raising chickens for eggs and meat?

3. What is the best factors to consider when raising goats (milk, meat, fiber), etc.?

4. Finally what books or websites would you consider I read or find to help with this venture?

Thank you for any information you might share so I can make a wise choice in the next chapter of our lives.

Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  07:43:00 AM  Show Profile
Becky - so happy to hear you and hubby are so close to having your dream! There are different breeds of chickens that are better for colder/harsher winters. A couple of my favorite websites for this type of information is from the Chicken Chick - http://www.the-chicken-chick.com and Backyard Chickens - http://www.backyardchickens.com I think as far as considering factors for raising goats, depends on you! Do you enjoy goat milk? goat meat? want to experience spinning fiber? While I think the critters need to "pay for themselves," I think there is also the element of enjoyment.... if you do not enjoy goat milk, are you really going to want to milk the goats and go through the process? Would you be content to only use it personally for goat milk soap, or does that gross you out? Just my two cents :) Love that you are back on here and things are going so much better!!!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  10:42:06 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Shannon for the information. I don't know if I like goat's milk, however, I had thought about making cheese, soap and other items from it. I don't drink milk that much, because I've read somewhere where it is not good for you. For me personally, I have been around goats lately and think they are an adorable creature. I see that I have a lot to consider and research before making my choice about where we will be going.
Becky

May the stars carry your sadness away. May the flowers fill your heart with beauty, and may hope forever wipe away your tears.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2015 :  10:53:53 AM  Show Profile
When hubby and I were working on where to decide to move, we made a list of all 50 states. We then made a list of what was important to us, and then numbered them as far as what was most important to us... for example, we looked at homeschooling laws, gun laws, conservative vs liberal, climate (we really want all 4 seasons!), etc. On the top of the list was whether hubby's license would be recognized. There were five or six states that would not recognize it, so we automatically crossed those states off. We continued doing that until we had gone through our list... we were left with two states... literally! We decided where we wanted to move and ten started looking at the practicality of various animals... We have still not decided what all animals we are going to own, but we know where we are headed, and our dream... we will decide on the critters over time... we'll first get our chickens (both laying and meat)... then we'll add from there. I too have though about goats, though I have also looked at sheep. Icelandic sheep are pretty popular where we are headed. All that to say, maybe if you figure out your priority list, you can narrow down the states, and then determine what is best for you and your hubby. Many (((hugs))).

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  4:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Shannon,
I started with a smaller list. As my husband will be retiring this year, my first on the list was those states that did not tax social security. Next went off the list the states that were an absolutely no from the on-start. I think we are down to 13 states remaining now. I have my doubts about a few of them, but I have yet to say no. They are in the north, mid-west, mid-east, and a couple on the coastal waters. That is why I was asking about weather and chickens. That will decided on those questionable states for me. May I ask which two states won out for you? I have about 2 years left before I need to really get serious. I will graduate from college next May and then it will be time to really put the research into high gear. Thanks for all your information. I am glad to know that I am not the only list maker and pros-cons to finding answers to things.
Hugs
Becky

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  6:10:00 PM  Show Profile
Our two states were Texas and Wyoming. Both even have balanced state budgets :) We are heading to Wyoming, as my brother is in SD.

~ Shannon

Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2015 :  8:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Wyoming is one of the 13 states on the list. South Dakota is also. They say for retirees that SD is the best. I was born there but other than that don't know anything about the state. I'll keep in touch via snail mail to let you know the progress and see which state won for us.
Take care.
Hugs
Becky

Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2015 :  07:10:39 AM  Show Profile
Hi Becky! How exciting to be at this point in your life. As for chickens, I would add that its important to know what critters are in your area that might be an issue as predators - our first place that we had chickens...we had hawks stealing our little birds all the time. At this farm, hawks aren't an issue...but the farmdog from down the way sure was. :( Are you planning for eggs or meat? Free range or not? We live in MN where it gets plenty cold. When we first started out we would run a heat lamp for our birds in the winter. We have since stopped doing that and haven't had any issues with them getting too cold. Just make sure you get a bird that works for the climate of whatever state you end up in. :) As far as goats, we had goats for a few years and actually just sold all our adults last week. They are quite a commitment if you're planning to milk - so you have to make sure you're on board with that and REALLY want the milk (for whatever reason). If you're planning to milk you need to figure out if you are going to keep a buck or if you're going to borrow a buck. You also have to deal with babies - are you going to keep them or sell them - and is there a decent market where you live? We always ended up selling our babies at a loss. There just wasn't the market for them where we are at the time we were selling. Goats are cute but they seriously waste a lot of hay. Also, if you get goats, make sure you have a decent fence!! :) Good luck, and have fun!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.com

Edited by - farmmilkmama on Apr 15 2015 07:11:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ladybek9756
True Blue Farmgirl

882 Posts

Rebecca
Linneus Maine
USA
882 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2015 :  3:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Ladybek9756's MSN Messenger address  Send Ladybek9756 a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the information, especially about the goats. I just might want to reconsider them. As for the chickens, I believe that it would be both eggs and meat. I will keep your thoughts in mind when we move. I am not going to let the decision be based on livestock of any kind, I was wondering encase we chose to go that route.
Becky

Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - May 05 2015 :  06:37:53 AM  Show Profile
Have some fun! We have 1 rooster and 34 hens and Nigerian Dwarf goat ... which is due in July. It is like any other animal a commitment BUT not a hard one to keep. Fresh water and food plus a few moments of hello and they are happy. We want the milk which is why we want the babies... but that is not necessary if you just want a goat. Bucks are more work. Watch out and learn your predators and have a good fence.

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chickens and Goats Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page