Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Baby Goat Help Next Topic  

ILoveBaskets14
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Stefanie
Cross Lanes WV
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2015 :  5:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ILoveBaskets14's MSN Messenger address
Just got a 2 week old Saanen baby goat , he has been bottle fed and we are bottle feeding still. We have had him two days. He is fed three bottles of the milk replacer. Today he has developed a looser stool almost like diarrhea but not totally and noticed he sneezes a lot and sounds a little congested. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated. Do most people use the milk replacer or something else? Any natural remedies (I have oils) ?

Baskets of Blessings.

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2015 :  6:18:48 PM  Show Profile
When I see diarrhea in a kid, I quickly assume and treat for coccidiosis. Other symptoms are a hunched back as if in pain, and the diarrhea has a bad odor.
If he doesn't seem in pain, listless or foul smelling poop, he could simply be showing signs of stress due to moving to a new house.

The sneezing and coughing could be due to pollen if your area is experiencing early signs of spring. But, it could be other respiratory problems including pneumonia.

You don't want to wait too long to treat. Kids can die very quickly. If he were an older goat, you could risk waiting and watching for a couple of days.

If it were me, I would treat aggressively with antibiotics and drench heavily with Pro-Bios and a mixture of molasses, vegetable oil, and nutritional brewers yeast. As far as antibiotics, a good penicillin based or broad spectrum for respiratory illnesses is warranted. Tetracycline based antibiotics are not for respiratory illnesses.

My absolute FAVORITE website for info is www.fiascofarm.com. The gal that runs the site is chock full of information. I find it even more helpful than my Merck vet book.
Here is what she says to do for coccidiosis...regular chemical treatment. Go to her site for natural/herbal treatment.
Sulfadimethoxine
Brand Names:
Albon Concentrated Solution 12.5%
Albon Soluble Powder 107 gm pkg
Di-Methoox Concentrated Solution 12.5%
Di-Methoox Soluble Powder 107 gm pkg
Concentrated Solution 12.5% - Straight from the bottle; do not mix with water. Administer/Drench directly into mouth
Soluble Powder mixed as follows: dissolve one package (107 gms) in three cups of water. Keep refrigerated. Administer/Drench directly into mouth
Dose:

Give Orally - Administer straight into the mouth using a syringe (remove the needle). Do not just add it to the kid's water because you will not know if he receives the correct dose. Do not add it to his milk because the milk effects the potency of the drug.

Five day treatment- you must treat the full five days. (we have begun experimenting with only treating three days for the prevention treatment.)
Day one: 1 ml per 5 pounds- given orally.
Days 2-5: 1 ml per 10 pounds- given orally.

Note: We sweeten the drench with a little Stevia; our kids no longer stand around gagging after their treatment and some even seem to like it. (a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down...)

I hope he gets better.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

ILoveBaskets14
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Stefanie
Cross Lanes WV
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2015 :  7:37:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ILoveBaskets14's MSN Messenger address
Thank you Catherine ! I will get some first thing in the morning !! He seems fine other than that hopefully that will fix him up .

Baskets of Blessings.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Baby Goat Help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page