Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Sort of thrifty but tasty casserole?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sort of thrifty but tasty casserole? Next Topic  

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  3:07:06 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,

Our Girl Scout troop has been the beneficiary of the generosity of a local church that has allowed us to use for their facility for several large events. They are reluctant to accept a financial donation, and have actually turned down manual labor offers of doing some spring cleaning with landscaping, etc.

We finally hit pay dirt with the suggestion of making some casseroles and leaving them for whatever church member might need some dinners, be it single working moms or whomever.

What would you suggest that is widely appealing, freezes well and doesn't cost a mint? I don't want to cheap out on them completely, but I would rather leave several tasty, filling and less expensive casseroles than one big lasagna full of expensive meat and cheese.

An important question in this is what kind of luck have you had freezing something topped with mashed potatoes? I've seen a few shepherd's pie recipes that look pretty darn good, but I"m having flashbacks to my 7th grade Home Ec class where mashed potatoes was on the "never freeze" list.

Any suggestions and assistance would be greatly appreciated!

To close the proverbial loop on this, my co-leader and I are having the teenage scouts - several of whom have little to no cooking experience - do the menu, shopping, cooking, packaging and freezing. A great opportunity to learn, right?

Thanks,
Cindy

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  3:07:53 PM  Show Profile
Oops! Wrong category for posting!
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  3:09:42 PM  Show Profile
Moved to Farm Kitchen
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sort of thrifty but tasty casserole? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page