Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I feel terrible! Next Topic  

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2015 :  3:19:21 PM  Show Profile
For the last two years I have endured 10 free-range (hen)chickens! They are insistant about finding the outside cat food, although hidden carefully, and mess up the front yard and porch terribly. Forget the pond area and gardens!This is a problem because I love them dearly and don't want to confine them. I am very "animal sensitive and am a vegetarian". I live in the chicken capital of the world (processing also) so I see all the chickens hauled off each day with much inhumanity. We have an enclosed chicken yard (20X30) with a hen house. Could they transition to this after being free ranged for years now in a much larger yard?? You all must think me crazy. The other problem is that there are two roosters who lived together up to a week ago when they nearly killed each other. We feel we need to put them down as they are very aggressive to us and the hens. Even with them, I get so sad cutting their lives short. Please advise but don't be too hard on me, please. At least this has been therapeutic. Thanks in advance.

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  08:35:34 AM  Show Profile
I saw a picture on facebook that showed chicken-wire domed tunnels around a garden. They could get bugs, plants etc. and still be confined.
Maybe one of the roosters could be saved? Might not be so aggressive if he doesn't have competition? But some of them just turn nasty.

Just a side note. We used to have a dog who would not allow the roosters to fight. She would rush them every time they got to squaring off, not to hurt them, just to break it up.

Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  08:41:53 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I have had success with penning free-range chickens. You may need to put a net or something over the top of the fenced area to keep them in. Make sure the entrance you are going to use opens to the inside of the pen/hen house, otherwise, they will scurry right out before you can close it. Throw out a treat away from the entrance right before you step in, distraction works well. Aggression cannot be tolerated toward you or your hens, there are the only two ways I know to deal with it, culling or rehoming.Pick your favorite of the two roos and put the other down or rehome him. The aggression may be just between the two of them and removing one, solves the problem. Otherwise, if the remaining roo is still aggressive, remove him. Remember chickens are creatures of habit, you just need to establish a new habit. Hopes this helps.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  10:56:45 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by newfarmgirl

For the last two years I have endured 10 free-range (hen)chickens! They are insistant about finding the outside cat food, although hidden carefully, and mess up the front yard and porch terribly. Forget the pond area and gardens!This is a problem because I love them dearly and don't want to confine them. I am very "animal sensitive and am a vegetarian". I live in the chicken capital of the world (processing also) so I see all the chickens hauled off each day with much inhumanity. We have an enclosed chicken yard (20X30) with a hen house. Could they transition to this after being free ranged for years now in a much larger yard?? You all must think me crazy. The other problem is that there are two roosters who lived together up to a week ago when they nearly killed each other. We feel we need to put them down as they are very aggressive to us and the hens. Even with them, I get so sad cutting their lives short. Please advise but don't be too hard on me, please. At least this has been therapeutic. Thanks in advance.

Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  11:02:36 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for the info, Cindy. That is a great idea about the chicken wire-domed tunnels. We could let them out near the garden that way if it is feasible. I hadn't heard of such a thing. And Kathy, thanks for the heads-up on how to get the hens accommodated to their new home. Actually, it was where they were kept for the first few months of their lives, so maybe adjustment will be easier. It is much easier having someone to share with who cares. Thanks you two for being there
Go to Top of Page

Goat Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Katherine
Lunenburg Vermont
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2015 :  06:46:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi just want to chime in a bit. My chickens are in a fenced in yard, with netting over the top (keeping them in and everything else out). In the evenings, about a couple hours before sundown I let them out for some exploring and bug catching. They instinctively go to the house at dark and I just go out and count heads and close them in for the night. It didn't take long to train them for this. I also will not give out any feed or treats while they are out, they only get fed in the coop. That way they know where their food is. Happy day to you and the girls.

Vermont Goat Girl
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I feel terrible! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page