Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Frustration . . . Any "techy" farmgirls out there?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Frustration . . . Any "techy" farmgirls out there? Next Topic  

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  08:16:26 AM  Show Profile
So I recently started an online store . . . while I still love doing my monthly sales in the barn and my antique show in August, I wanted a venue to sell my signs and small things such as jewelry, purses, etc. So while I would like to still fine tune it a bit, I did finally figure out how to get the site up and running. And I have some cute things listed. But getting traffic there is completely throwing me for a loop. I remember in the movie "Field of Dreams" they said, "If you build it, they will come" . . . well it is built but so far they aren't coming. Right now my hosting fees are higher than what I am earning. There are so many scammers out there and I keep getting people from India and China wanting to help me . . . now don't get me wrong . . . they could be perfectly fine, but I need to be able to understand them . . . some of their written language is so hard to decipher, I can't imagine actually having to deal with them direct. Do any of you have online shops (besides ETSY) and if so, how do you promote. Should I use Google Ad words? I am so confused and out of my element . . . I just want to create things . . . this business end of it is just throwing me for a loop. Your help and encouragement is so appreciated. Here is the link for my website if this helps you to see what I am doing (and what I am doing wrong!)

http://blessified.com/

With love and blessings,

Brenda

Come visit my blog at http.//www.pastblessings.blogspot.com

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  10:00:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Brenda!

I do not have an online store, however I had been in sales for many years on and off. Don't get discouraged. There is a lot you can do, and it isn't all about advertising, per se! Bear with me here a minute...

First of all, tell me - What types of promotions have you done since opening your website? Did you do a "grand opening" announcement? Did you have a special discount promotion for first time buyers? Do you have any type of referral program? Did you email all your family, friends, and contacts? Did you put information on Facebook? What did it say that would "grab" you if you were a potential customer?

Second - How does your website draw people in? Is it easy to access your products? When you go to one page, do customers have a "smorgasbord" upon which to feast their eyes, or are you featuring just one type of item, or just one item by itself (aka - Do people feel overwhelmed, or is it too much work to get to the products they are interested in)? Do your pages have enough variety? Make your site as enticing and easily accessible as possible. Think if your antique shows... you always create enticing displays, people love what they see, then they want to buy it all (I'd go broke if I was at one of your shows! LOL!)... You need to create that same environment on your website. Keep it exciting and enticing. And you want to do something on your site that makes people want to come back regularly to see what's happening there... More on that later.. But keep in mind, the more exciting your site is, the more people will want to come back and tell their friends about your cool site. The more they come back, and the more friends who visit, the more likely you'll have sales...

Third - I see you have some sale items (LOVE the purses!)... Maybe instead of offering them on sale, it would be better to offer them at full price and give an "exclusive discount" for first-time buyers during a limited time period. Sale items should always show a time limit - "sale good thru" dates make people think twice about waiting to make that purchase! Limiting the sale time usually limits the "decision to buy" time!

Fourth - FEATURED ITEMS are a big deal... This could be a one-time offer of a certain item, OR a featured item that you are offering on sale for a limited time (a one time only offering, a one day only flash sale, a limited three day offering, a "one week only" special, or an "item of the month"). Again, if people feel the urge to purchase something because they can only get the "deal" for a limited time, that can really increase your sales!

Fifth - What is different and unique about your product, your site, your business practices? Why should people buy from you vs. some other site online? What makes you special? Why would they want to visit your site regularly - why would they want to remain loyal to you? The thing is, people like to know that you're thinking of them, not just the sale. You need to figure out how to connect with your customer in a personal way, so they know you are taking care of them, and making sure they get the best deal when it comes up. One way to do this, of course, is to create a customer mailing list. When they fill in the information, ask what item(s) interest them most, and ask if they would like to be alerted when the item goes on sale... This gives them the control to get the information that it important to them, and helps ensure that you make the sale. Remember: When we girls go shopping, we like to go with a friend. That friend gives us ideas, shares thoughts, helps us make decisions. (Sometimes she'll just tell us to throw caution to the wind and go for it, because we "deserve" it! LOL! She never lies, but she always manages to tell us exactly what we want - NEED - to hear!) Online YOU are the customer's friend, and it's your job to do all those things for them. You do this just like you would as a seller at the antique show, only you have to carry the conversation pretty much all by yourself, anticipating what your customer needs from you and needs you to say. :)

Sixth - The other thing you can do with the mail list is create a monthly newsletter. It would feature sale items, discount promotions, seasonal and every day DECORATING ideas (which we all know - you are QUEEN at decorating! I love your blog!), maybe even a recipe of the month. The best thing to do would be have the "teaser" sent to the customers in an email, but include a link that when clicked draws them back to your website for the complete newsletter. Then in your newsletter, make sure you include pictures of the products you discuss with links to them so your customer can easily access the item for purchase. The key here is, whatever you send out should lead your customers to your website by the hand. They see it, they click on it, they read about it, their interest is piqued, they click on it, they buy it. It's a process, and it does take time, but it works.

Seventh - In these economic times, people are not nearly as free with their money when it comes to fun purchases. Show them all the different ways your product can be used. For example, your necklaces (beautiful by the way!): Give different ways of accessorizing with them, but also, when not worn, how else can they be used? I like taking jewelry and hanging them on my lamps to accent my lampshades, for example. I have a friend who likes to use her pins on accent pillows. Maybe your pretty cross jewelry can also be incorporated as a Christmas tree decoration... You see? The key is, show your customer the functionality of your pieces; that they aren't something that will be purchased then sit hidden in a box somewhere... And your signs are great! But what are some different ways they can be incorporated into a vignette on the wall? Maybe feature a picture of one accented with flowers and a small shelf with a votive... Now the ultimate incentive to buy would be having all these little accent pieces offered on your site as well - the more items you can incorporate together, the more people will want to buy them, and you want them to buy them from YOU! But, if you can't offer everything all at once, that's fine. The main thing is, you want to show your customers and site visitiors how to get the most bang for their buck when they purchase from you! One thing that is always fun is to feature one item and have people comment and suggest ways THEY would use it in their home (or in their personal wardrobe, etc.). People are super creative. If you feature their ideas, they feel they are part of the experience, and that, my friend, creates a sense of customer loyalty. Maybe at some point you could even hold a contest and have a prize giveaway for the most popular idea (use a "like" or "this was helpful" button).

Eighth - Do you have a feedback option so people can put their thoughts about your item itself, the quality of your products, your shipping standards, etc. Word of mouth and the power of the keystroke make all the difference!

So, I think you get the idea...

What I would do is take a look at some of the other sites out there and see what they are doing to promote themselves and their products. Yes, you are trying to get attention on your website, but the ultimate goal is to get people to buy your product. Include them in the experience; educate them about the quality of your product and as to how to get the most bang out of that product for their buck; give them special deals, but keep them offer them for a limited time only soas to encourage a speedy sale; promote your business through customer service and ensure your customers get what they want out of your shop; help them to see the benefit of buying from you vs. someone else. There is so much you can do, really, that will most likely cost you little more than an investment of time. It just takes dedicated time.

I took the liberty of looking up "promoting your online business," since I haven't had too much experience with website sales. There is a lot of information out there, but these two really stood out to me. I hope they help!

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/60916

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-the-Internet-to-Promote-Your-Business

Please know I'm more than happy to help you bounce around ideas, Brenda, or to answer any questions, if I'm able. I KNOW you can do this! And I KNOW your site can become something great! Hang in there, let your creative juices flow and believe in yourself. Just remember: you yourself are a customer out there in the big market. What draws your attention and pulls you in? How can you incorporate that into your online store? If you can do it directly and face-to-face, you can definitely do it virtually. And I know - I KNOW - you can do this!!! I, for one, am excited as all get to see where your online store takes you! I believe in you, sister!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 21 2015 10:42:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  10:22:39 AM  Show Profile
Nini,

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this. This is very helpful!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://musingaboutthisandthat.blogspot.com/
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  10:27:02 AM  Show Profile
I'm so happy you find it helpful, Carole. :) I have learned a lot over the years, and I really had some great people to guide me. Without their help, I would have been at a total loss. Good things need to be shared! We're all in this together, after all! :) Please know I'm here for you, too. I'm not an expert, but I'm happy to share whatever I know and help in any way I can! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  1:41:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Nini! I have done several of the things you suggest . . . I have a facebook page for it and have invited everyone and also have a contest running now where if they share the site and like my facebook page, they are entered in a drawing to win the necklace. I have also posted many of the items on pinterest and on google . . . So hopefully I will start to see the rewards of it. I don't want to raise the price on the Montana West purses simply because there are many other sites selling these and if I raised it, I know it would eliminate buyers. But I will definitely check into some of the other ideas as well. I have posted it on as many sites as I can think of but I also don't want to be the "obnoxious spammer girl." ;) Thanks again for all your help!

With hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Come visit my blog at http.//www.pastblessings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Frustration . . . Any "techy" farmgirls out there? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page