katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  11:02:54 AM  Show Profile
Who remembers sitting under one of these?

this so cracks me up! "Walk Around".. which means you can stand at the sink, washing dishes while your hair is drying... lol!
Can you imagaine wearing this while vacuuming?
I remember my mom, sitting and reading her magazines while waiting for her hair to dry...
Quite honestly, it was faster to go out side in the sunshine then wait for the 500watt dryer to get the job done,,, although, it was nice to wear in the dead of Winter.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  12:07:35 PM  Show Profile
I remember! I remember! Oh my GOSH does this bring back memories... I always used to fall asleep to the sound of the air rushing around my head! I loved it! LOL! And I always felt like such a big girl when Mom would put it on my head and let me read her magazines... SO funny to think of it now. I can't imagine sitting there waiting for my hair to dry and my curls to curl like that today - can you?! I have a picture somewhere of my sister-in-law enveloped in her bubble head cover from when she was a little girl... I will have to find it for you - too cute! Thanks for the giggle, Grace! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  8:02:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh golly, my late mother had that hairdryer! I had very long, thick hair and it never dried my hair. My mom would sit for an hour with rollers in her short, thin hair and it still didm't work. Thank goodness for the hand held ones!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2015 :  8:37:36 PM  Show Profile
Nini, yes, if you find it, do post it! What a great Blast to the Past...

Dawn, I hear ya, they took for ever... I actually have a couple that I found in Thrifts, but not like the one I posted here. I bought them just for nostalgia.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16373 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16373 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2015 :  05:59:50 AM  Show Profile
My job as a young girl and then as a teenager was to put curlers in my grandmother's hair every weekend. Afterward, she'd sit under a dryer like the one you posted Katmom and read Reader's Digest magazines. Great memories.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2015 :  8:36:17 PM  Show Profile
Our family had one and I sat under it when my Mom did my hair. I loved the warm, relaxing air flowing over my head. I usually read when I had it on because you couldn't hear anything while it was going. We mostly used it in the winter.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  9:29:20 PM  Show Profile
My mom had one of these when I was young. My hair was so long and thick that it never got completely dry sitting under it. I couldn't sit still for that long! I was glad when blow dryers came along. But it did feel good to sit under it--just not for hours!
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  05:09:55 AM  Show Profile
I remember sitting under one of those hairdryers while studying on my bed during high school and college. Oh, the things we did to be beautiful!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2015 :  12:59:29 PM  Show Profile
yep, these little bonnet type dryers and a jar of "Dippity Do"... lol!

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  12:56:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh my!!! I remember those dryers. LOL. I remember when, at the time, my young son saw me with that contraption on my head. He started crying because he thought I was getting ready to be beamed out of space with the space aliens. I never used it again.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2015 :  1:12:53 PM  Show Profile
I used one of these also but I remember that after a certain length of time it made your head very hot!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Speaking of Fashion,,,, Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page