Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  8:20:39 PM  Show Profile
When you're looking for some farm inspiration - ideas for new land use, crops, animals, buildings, plans, etc. - where do you go? What has inspired you to do what you do how you do it? Sometimes some fresh ideas can make a world of difference on a farm and to a farmgirl. What sets your dreams in motion?

For me, some of my major inspiration comes from MaryJanesFarm. I love that a woman is running a farm and a business and being successful while also being kind, fair and sensible.

I am also inspired by my neighbor, Gail's, herb garden and garden paths - they are lovely gravel paths through her yard. She's taken out almost all of the lawn in her yard and replaced it with waterwise landscaping.

I love books, too. When I feel lost as to what to do next, or I can't really get a grip on a "vision" for the farm, I just love looking through farming and gardening books, as well as some catalogues, for bits and pieces that spur my imagination. I also like to look at marketing books for ideas of how to market things, even though I don't have any particular products in mind sometimes. At times, even the marketing ideas can lead to good things!

During the winter is such a good time for working on a farm plan and for dreaming of possibilities. What gets you going?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  8:48:00 PM  Show Profile
Libbie,

I love gardening magazines and books. Lately the Herb Companion and Country Gardener magazines have given me jolts of inspiration. A book that is sitting by my computer right now is Maine Farm - A Year of Country Life. I've had it for years and love to flip thru that too.

It seems as though lately, I've been doing so much "doing" and less "dreaming" - A healthy balance of both makes for a happy farm chick! Sometimes though I dream the most while working in the garden - looking over the kids and land - thinking about all that we have done while living here and seeing all that remains to be done. (Sometimes I wonder if a small city lot is better - but I get over that quickly).

A couple other things that inspire - neighbor's who love to plant swap, garden club meetings, the informal organic MJF Chapter club that I'm in, talking to fellow gardeners, and mostly, children running thru the yard and garden, and seeing little mini horses in our yard.

Can't wait to read what inspires others.
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2006 :  09:06:25 AM  Show Profile
I have a beautiful garden center right down the road about 1/8 mile from my office. She's tucked in at the end of the road and she does the most gorgeous layouts all over the center. I get a lot of inspiration for my yard from her. If we ever get to buy the extra land behind our house, I'm going to put in raised beds veggies like I've seen at some smaller farms in our area.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farm Inspiration Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page