Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Starting Seeds Indoors has Begun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Starting Seeds Indoors has Begun Next Topic  

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6950 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6950 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  11:58:13 AM  Show Profile
Today & tomorrow I will start the following seeds indoors. Last frost date in my zone is Mar 18.

3 pk. Summer Solstice Zinnia (dwarf)

Tulsi Holy Basil
Greek Oregano
Common Chives
Fennel
Lavender Hyssop
Summer Savory
Winter Savory

Do you sow any of your seeds indoors?

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014

Edited by - YellowRose on Feb 06 2015 2:49:21 PM

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  12:04:10 PM  Show Profile
I started some seeds indoors last weekend, but think I am going to order a light and heating pad set up.... I want to start tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants. Every year we order plants and spend a couple hundred dollars... yet I can order the set up for around a hundred and already have the seeds, so I think I'm going to give it a try... now just to convince my hubby!!!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6950 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6950 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  12:41:16 PM  Show Profile
Shannon if you get the heat pad you will have to let us know how you like it. I have often thought about it but the cost always kept me from doing it.

I have a large fluorescent light in my kitchen. When the seeds start to spout I will drag my table under the light, and for the next 4-6 weeks there will be little green houses all over the table. By the time it is ready to plant them outside I am more than ready to reclaim my kitchen.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  1:01:07 PM  Show Profile
There is a heating pad with germination station on Amazon right now for less than $35. I figure if it works, it would be worth it!!! Especially since I would be able to use it each year. Our house is extremely small for the amount of people (8 of us in less than 1500 sq feet), so adding anything to big just seems impossible.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  3:30:38 PM  Show Profile
I have horrible results with my seedlings, One master gardener suggested a fan to simulate the wind and keeps the moisture in check and it strengthens the stems. I will try anything.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4195 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4195 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  4:53:31 PM  Show Profile
The one thing that does help, is have a light over your plants. Moving that light as the little plants grow. Keeping it just above their little heads. And then adding the fan helps alot. I use a fluorescent light fixture over my seedlings, nothing fancy, but it works. Happy Growing

Farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2015 :  5:36:45 PM  Show Profile
THis is how I do it, (and I am by no means an expert). I plant the seeds in small cell packs that I save. The medium I use is a tobacco starter that I buy in a gigantic bag for about $10. I live in an A Frame, with a large south facing picture window, so I place them on a giant table in front of the window. They usually do OK there. When they start to get even the slightest bit leggy, I replant in a slightly larger pot, making sure to cover most of the stem. By the time they outgrow those pots, it is likely time to go in the ground.
I tried the lights and pads, but I found that re-potting works the best. And the tobacco starter is awesome.

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.

Edited by - nubidane on Feb 06 2015 5:37:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

marthajane
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Anna
Orlando FL
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2015 :  07:19:01 AM  Show Profile
I thought I would chime in here too with good news! Miracle grow now selling seed starting mix! It has the fertilizer the seeds need. My failures in seed starting are a thing of the past. The bag is 4$. If anyone needs a little (i find it really a little too much fertilizer) let me know!

HAPPINESS IS BEING A MOM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6950 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6950 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2015 :  07:56:51 AM  Show Profile
Diana, thanks for the tip about using a fan. Where my seedlings will be is close to an overhead air vent - I wonder if it moves enough air to count.

Michele, you are so right about having a light over the seedlings. I have them on kitchen table now covered with kitchen towels, except for the hyssop that needs light to germinate. When they start to spout I will move table directly under light. If needed I will put the little green houses on something to get them closer to the light. Oh, what we go through to have the plants we want.

Lisa, your south window sounds wonderful - I can picture the big table with all the seedlings growing in all that sunlight. Your tip about re-potting is really a good one. I must do a better job this year of doing just that.

Thanks for the offer Marthajean, I have a whole bag I am saving for the fall or if I decide on one more plant.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

LBP
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Linda
Goodview VA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2015 :  09:18:32 AM  Show Profile
I haven't been on this site in ages, hope you don't mind if I jump in. I start my seeds on top of my freezer that is in my laundry room. It's warm up there and then on weekend when I use the dryer I set them on top of their because it gets warm there too! I always have success with germination! From there they move to the shelves my DH made. Just plastic stack-able shelves with fluorescent bulbs that hang from chain that I can move as they grow. I think the whole set up cost about $50.

Come visit me at:

http://lbpsews.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2015 :  9:06:45 PM  Show Profile
I bought a heat mat last year and it makes a big difference. I use a shop light over my seedlings that I can adjust for height. I have a set up I made myself that is very similar to the set ups costing $60.00 or more. I just used some plastic pipe I had, the light, and a chain to raise and lower the light. I had to buy a few things at the hardware store but it was under $12.00. I ordered all my seeds this weekend so they should arrive this week. I'm going to attend a seed swap this coming weekend at the new food co-op that will be opening soon.
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6950 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6950 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2015 :  1:25:36 PM  Show Profile
Linda & Cindy you both have nice set-ups to start seeds. Hope all your hard work brings healthy plants.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2015 :  9:38:46 PM  Show Profile
Ditto on adjusting the lights higher as the plants grow. But I have never heard of the fan before. We will be trying it this year! Thanks all for the tips.

Penny
Soaper and Not So Crazy Goat Lady

Celebrating Wholesome Living in a Colorful World
www.facebook.com/444Farm
www.444Farm.com
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  08:53:55 AM  Show Profile
I started some pepper seeds a couple of weeks ago and now I have some little bits of green starting to sprout! I have one heat may and it does seem to help with the peppers. I bought it on clearance one year at Menards. My hubby set up the shop lights for me this year on a shelf we had already. I need to start some more things. I'll start my tomatoes today.

Farmgirl Hugs!

~April
River Valley Farmgirls
Chapter Leader

~Playing in the Sonshine~
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6950 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6950 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  09:09:03 AM  Show Profile
Nice set up! Love to see things growing.

Sara

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  09:15:07 AM  Show Profile
Got my Tomato seed going and they are just starting to pop out of the soil.
MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Starting Seeds Indoors has Begun Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page