CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2015 :  1:42:11 PM  Show Profile
Ok, ladies! What has been your biggest, bestest "aha" moment in terms of something that makies camping/glamping easier, better, etc?

My Girl Scout troop is looking to compose a collection of tips for new troop leaders, so here I am yet again asking for input from all you experts.

I have had several "aha" moments,mostly that came from camping with kids rather than just DH and myself. Some of them include:

-a slightly crumpled piece of aluminum foil is a great camp scrubber when dinner has been burnt on the bottom of crappy camp cookware

-a very well rinsed out plastic peanut butter jar (red lid preferred) makes a perfect waterproof and easy to find holder for a large box of matches at the campfire

-glow sticks make great night lights for slightly wary campers - no matter what age :)

-have kids pack their sleeping clothes I a separate huge Ziploc bag so they can easily find them even in the dark

-Starbucks powdered Via coffee is a LIFESAVER since it dissolves even in cold water. It instantly transforms zombies into real people!

What does anyone else have to add to help first-time campers have a more comfortable, less stressful experience?

Thanks in advance-
Cindy

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  06:58:40 AM  Show Profile
A rug for outside your tent.....keep the pine needles at bay!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2015 :  1:08:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for that one, Sherone - great idea!
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  11:32:31 AM  Show Profile
First....make a list. Its different camping in a tent then it is for campers.....so make the list accordingly.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  12:42:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Daizy....making a list is essential and check each item as you address it!

My best to all,
Mel
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KirksmomsKottage
http://www.pinterest.com/kirksmom71/
Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2015 :  3:12:06 PM  Show Profile
Brilliant, ladies! My private pilot training got me hooked on checklists, and I am delighted to know others rely on them, too. My scouts think I am a bit obsessive about them, but through the years they have learned the importance of them. Forget the whipped cream for hot chocolate around the campfire just once and then a checklist is not so nerdy #128512;
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2015 :  05:45:36 AM  Show Profile
Agreed, checklists are essential.

For tent camping, bring a small broom and dustpan to sweep the tent before breaking it down at the end of the trip. It is so not fun to open up and erect a dusty, dirty tent on the next trip.

To help keep the tent floor clean, do like Sherone said....put a rug out at the entry. I also make everyone take their shoes off before entering.

Catherine
Sister #76 (2005)
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2015 :  2:26:10 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I agree with lists. I have a little journal book with lists for glamping. It is divided into categories with a separate page for each, such as "EQUIPMENT", "PERSONAL ITEMS", "FOOD", etc. I make photocopies of the lists to use to check off for each trip. That way I don't have to write the lists every time, if there is something I don't need or want for a particular trip I immediately cross it off the list.

I pack a small broom and rubber mallet (for driving tent stakes) in the tent carry bag . . . they are always there!

I also agree with rugs! My daughter and I have been tent glampers and we have rugs for inside the tent, between the mattresses, etc. . . cozier and warmer. Our tent also has a screened porch with a floor and we put rugs out there as well.

Most of all, have fun!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Your #1 camping/glamping tip? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page