Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Have to share my accident on rising bread
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Have to share my accident on rising bread Next Topic  

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  05:01:36 AM  Show Profile
I have to share with you an accident that turned out to be a good thing.

I was baking bread and when I was going to set out the bread to raise, I put it on my kitchen table. Well yesterday I noticed the heating pad was on the table but since I had my hands full, I just set the pans on the pad. Well the next thing I knew, the bread had risen in half the time! I couldn't figure it out, but when I checked the heating pad was turned on low. Booooingg. The light bulb went off in my head. So from now on, that little heating pad is going to serve double duty as a bread raiser pad.

Just had to share my "lucky" accident.

Edited by - Patsy on Nov 16 2006 05:02:42 AM

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  2:17:02 PM  Show Profile
This is great, but just be aware that the longer the bread ferments (rises) the better tasting it will be. I give my bread a heat "kick" when I want bread in a hury, but it's not nearly as yummy as the bread I leave out to rise for hours at 68 degrees. When I'm in a really decadent mood I'll let my bread rise overnight in the refrigerator -- that's truly the best taste.

Best,

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  5:06:45 PM  Show Profile
I find that using my oven as a proofing box with just the oven light on does the trick for me. The rise times in the winter are then almost always exactly what they say in the recipe. No drafts, either.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  5:17:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I forgot to tell you, Patsy! I had a bread rising accident, too! I was making a French sourdough. I left the sponge on the counter for a couple of days, and then thought perhaps I misunderstood the instructions on how long it could sit. I worked it up anyway, and then when it had been in to rise for an hour and a half and didn't budge, I thought I'd killed the yeast in the sponge. I set the bowl on the counter to meditate on how to dispose of such a large wad of uncooked dough. Boy, did I feel stupid; I'm no novice cook, and I hadn't totally screwed a batch of bread for decades. I got distracted and it stayed there several hours.

When I returned, it had risen perfectly. Before the day was out, I had a beautiful and delicious artisan loaf of sourdough bread.

Not that I want to do it that way again though.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  03:33:38 AM  Show Profile
quote:
When I returned, it had risen perfectly. Before the day was out, I had a beautiful and delicious artisan loaf of sourdough bread.

I bet it was fabulous! I love artisan bread. The flavors and textures are well worth the wait.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  04:16:27 AM  Show Profile
You bet it was, Robin! The inside was soft as a cloud, and the outside was crusty and chewy. We dunked it in herb flavored olive oil that night, and we were in heaven. Part of it (it was a monster loaf) will go in our Thanksgiving turkey, too. Mmmmm, sourdough stuffing!
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  05:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I usually put my dough in a slightly warm oven with the light on to rise. One day I totally forgot that I had dough in there. When I finally remembered (hours later) it had risen and fallen over the side of the bowl all over the bottom of the oven. What a mess!!! Lessoned learned....set my timer! lol
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Have to share my accident on rising bread Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page