Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  3:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any suggestions for making turkey dinner this Thanksgiving that doesn't involve an oven??? A roasted turkey is my hubby's favorite food and he is planning on getting at least one turkey this month, even though he KNOWS we don't have an oven for cooking it.

*sigh* I can't seem to dissuade him from this either...And because he loves turkey, it won't be a tiny one either.

He's suggested grilling it on the grill, which would taste okay but if the weather is bad, we are sunk.

I'd like to be prepared with a back up idea or two, just in case it's too windy or rainy to grill outside. Or in case it's so cold that the turkey won't cook...

I do have a crock pot but it's not big enough for a turkey. I do have a roaster pan, which is designed for the oven, but can it be used on top of the stove???

And to make matters more complicated, I've only one burner on the stove at the moment, and usually cook part of the meal in the microwave... I also have one of those electric skillets.

Not ideal, but I'm trying to make due with what's working until we have the new house built. If I don't complain too much now, I can work this in my favor when it comes time to pick out the NEW stove...LOL

Any ideas? He won't let us get one precooked from the store - they are really too expensive for us this year...

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

peapodjane
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

127 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  3:19:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
At this time of the year there are turkey hotlines that people can call,I think if you google for it you would find one. I don't know what type of turkey you are talking about, wild,fresh, frozen with popup, but it might be worth a try. Also, I know that some cities, towns have commercial kitchens that can be rented for a reasonable rate,or maybe you have a friend or relatives that would let you use their oven, maybe the day before, and then you could reheat portions? Just some thoughts.
Good Luck!

Edited by - peapodjane on Nov 15 2006 3:20:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  4:08:13 PM  Show Profile
Erin,
is you grill a gas grill?
I do ours on the gas grill every year as our little house gets too hot with all the family members too.
I have grilled at 10 below zero,to 50 degrees and raining.
I do tent the turkey with foil to start and then take it off to brown.
Just my 2 cents
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  5:31:32 PM  Show Profile
My dad did the best turkey I ever ate in one of those turkey fryer things one year about 5 years ago. It sure didn't taste fried!! It was wonderful. They sell for about $50. Seems like alot to spend for something to use very seldom,but there are probably other uses for it. I bet if you ask around there is a friend or relative that may have one you could borrow....I agree that the grill would work too..we barbque in the rain and snow all the time..ours is a gas grill too. If using a small charcoal one I guess that it wouldn;t work as well. Good luck! I love turkey too..it would be a shame to not get to have it.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  6:04:34 PM  Show Profile
One year my brother-in-law smoked a turkey. I didn't like it, as smoked meats give me a migraine headache, and it was right after I had surgery and the smell bothered me...

But everyone else said it was wonderful! If you ask around you might be able to find someone with a smoker that wouldn't be using it on Thanksgiving.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  8:11:25 PM  Show Profile
How bad can the weather be in Texas lol
Your hubby is right grilling does make for a good bird.... but if it was me I'd smoke it and ya live in Texas right?
so have him chip up some mesquite ooooooooooooo mesquite!boy howdy my mouth is already watering....
ya know what's the juiciest? TRY frying. only takes 3 MINUTES a LB!
everybody's weather can let up for a 30 minutes...
pop pop sizzle sizzle yes we fry everything in the south yeeehaw

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  8:43:14 PM  Show Profile
Erin,
I usually cook mine in an electric roaster. It doesn't heat up the house and it browns it just like an oven. I have had as big as a 28 lb. bird in it. They usually sell for around $60-$100 but many times you can find them used as most people only use them a couple of times a year. Or you can ask around and see if you can borrow one from someone who is eating elsewhere this year and not cooking. If you are having family over who lives close, why not prepare the bird and cook it in their oven and have them bring it when they come. I have heard that the turkey fryers do very well. Did you know that you can bake in an electric skillet? I've done it in my single days - made a two layer cake that turned out really good ; )

Tina
PS How about borrowing an electric roaster from a church

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com

Edited by - doglady on Nov 15 2006 8:45:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  04:55:06 AM  Show Profile
Yep, I agree with the grilling method. Works out great!

As far as your side dishes, can you prepare some ahead of time and then reheat in the microwave?? Or can you prepare grilled veggies the day before and then construct a salad with them the day of? I'm thinking a room-temp salad with brown rice, pecans, grilled veggies, dried cranberries, vinegarette. . . .

I think with your creative thinking-cap on and lots of planning, you'd be able to pull this off without spending any extra. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  06:29:42 AM  Show Profile
this may sound different, but when it has been just our family and no extra guests for Thanksgiving..
I would sometimes buy the best deli sliced turkey from the deli that I could and ask them to slice a pound and a half to two pounds of it ...thick..
then I'd prepare my stuffing mix and create turkey and stuffing rolls(just put a spoonfull or two of stuffing mix and roll up like a jelly roll) in a large casserole dish and pour a jar of turkey gravy over top and bake in oven for a few minutes..
this was /is a time saver and where I didn't wind up with tons of left overs that everyone would get bored with after a while...you can do this and microwave it for a little bit.

my family never seemed to mind that it wasn't a huge turkey..they still got turkey..just turkey that was made by Sarah Lee or someone else..ha.

yep..it's a bit of a cop out, but at least I wouldn't have to slave over the stove all day either and was able to enjoy family time too..instead of being exhausted making a huge meal that after a few days everyone would be saying"oh gosh..I am sooo sick of turkey"
...ha.

(this year though..since my husband was able to get a 14 lb. turkey for $6 ..I will be baking a turkey..either for Thanksgiving..or may save it for when I have family coming in the week before Christmas.)

anyhow..just a thought there for you.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Nov 16 2006 06:37:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  07:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I cooked one on the stove once. I have saladmaster cookwear and it seals once it reaches desired temperature so it is like an oven on the stove. It was a big pot I think it was about a 20 to 25 pound turky. I don't know if this would work in other cookware. I have also seen small ones cooked in a crock pot. Makes them real tender.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  07:47:04 AM  Show Profile
Or buy a ready made bird from the grocery. It's not about what you eat........

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2006 :  10:23:15 PM  Show Profile
Here's what we ended up doing - We ended up with two turkeys, one (a huge one!) which we cut up and started cooking on the Sunday before Thanksgiving...

We had grilled turkey & veggie kebobs (using the thighs) on Sunday (with salad and bread) with the wings and legs smoked and held over for another night.

We had turkey soup with herb dumplings (using the carcass, small pieces of misc meat, the neck, giblets and bones) on Monday.

Tuesday was turkey legs and cheese/mushroom quesadillas, and I put the turkey breasts in a crock pot and simmered/slow cooked them with olive oil, herbs and lots of winter veggies - we'll eat these on Wednesday.

Thursday we will cook up the second turkey - maybe in the deep fryer (which hubby has but has never tried using before... ) or if it's too windy outside to do it safely, we'll just grill it again. (I'm like you Brenda, grilled meat sometimes gives me a headache/upset tummy, so it's not my favorite method... but it's good as kebobs or thick steaks...)

Texas has been pretty chilly lately - not like way up north with the snow, but it's been really windy (as much as 50 mph winds) and rainy a lot. When we get bad weather, it's a doozy!

Target and some of the other stores have those big electric roaster ovens on sale (I think I saw one for under $40) and I definitely want one of those!!! I'd love to make Thursday's turkey in one.

The veggies and side dishes won't be too much of a hassle as I am getting quite good at using the one burner and the microwave... I'll cook up the baked whole sweet potatoes and also a green bean casserole in the microwave (in stages) and then use the stove to make the dressing and gravy.

The hardest part of not having the oven is wanting to make my usual desserts and breads.

By cutting up the bird before cooking it, I had more control over how much was used at a time... I have been able to use this bird a lot more effectively than I might have otherwise. So, I guess this was a good thing.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Nov 21 2006 10:28:29 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Thanksgiving Turkey Dilemma Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page