Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Ham--old recipe, smoked or "cooked"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ham--old recipe, smoked or "cooked" Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  08:53:58 AM  Show Profile
I have an old recipe for ham that was my Nana's and it calls for boiling the ham for 4 hours in a mixture of cider, water and cinnamon sticks, then there's a glaze with honey, brown sugar cloves and something else, and then baking it for a period of time per lb., but it doesn't say what kind of ham--most seem to be already cooked. With all the boiling, do I need a fully cooked ham? Will that make it tough? Or a "smoked ham" from our local butcher is only partially cooked, he said...

Anway, any help would be GREATLY appreciated--I posted earlier in the holiday thread about "thanksgiving for two" since our family flaked out,and our friends have graciously extended an invite, but has no plans for a main course because they don't know how to make turkey, and "there might be a vegetarian, but she eats fish", so he was going to make fish.

My offer of making a ham was accepted (with furvor!) but now I'm confused.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  09:41:49 AM  Show Profile
Jonni- DON'T boil it! I have never boiled a ham in my life! I'm not sure what that refers to in your recipe ( maybe the glaze, but not 4 hours!)Don't forget a few generations ago they boiled everything to death to make sure it was "safe". Yes, most hams are precooked and cured these days , unless you have a hog butchered. Where are you getting the ham from? If it's the market they are really easy, just cook as directed or check out this weight per pound reference: http://recipes.chef2chef.net Search ham cooking times, they give you bone in /out, etc , it's a good site! .
I hate to admit this but the last ham I made was from Sam's Club (Smithfield Black Forest) and it was delicious. It even came with it's own glaze packet but I made a brown sugar, ground cloves, mustard, honey, rum glaze and have extra that I throw raisins into for a sauce. I just make a saucepan and use that as the glaze adding the raisins about 10 mins before serving.
Hope that helps! E mail me if you need more info...

with a happy heart

Edited by - bramble on Nov 15 2006 10:01:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  11:47:06 AM  Show Profile
Maybe it was soak, or simmer??? I need to look over the recipe tonight--when I do, I'll email tomorrow for your assistance.

Don't feel bad about using convenience...I'm sortof tired of torturing myself :)

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  2:17:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi'
Maybe it was a fresh ham, not smoked that was boiled. but a fresh ham is way different than a smoked or candied ham. i think sam's club hams are very good they are spiral cute too. That mkes it very easy to serve. And the spices go through it nicely. Also Cracker Barrel has nice hams also. If you have one near you. They are expensive though. I put pineapple rings and marachino charries on mine and cloves.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  04:00:31 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, if your recipe was for a "country ham" which is cured by salting, they do need to be boiled before further treatment. I used to cook one every Christmas for my FIL, who was brought up on a farm and cured their hams, and I soaked it for at least 24 hours first, changing the water several times, then boiled it, then baked it. These hams weren't cooked before buying them at all, and the salt content made for inedible eating without all the treatment (boiling!) first.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  05:43:14 AM  Show Profile
If it is saying to boil than it is calling for a "raw" or salt cured ham.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  06:08:48 AM  Show Profile
Bramble do you eat a bunch of proscuitto or jamon so ya have developed a robust $$ham$$ taste?

if a ya eat a true country cured ham they need to be fully cooked and before that ya got to give it a bath to first scrub off the curing molds. don't forget to sharpen your filet knife, this is a delicacy and needs to be sliced paper thin.

Jonni your Nana from Kentucky too?

Ann is correct Southern Ham traditionally is SALT cured
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/ham/index.asp

And don't forget to save the bone and get some blackeyed peas or pintos and do it up the leftovers right.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  10:12:25 AM  Show Profile
Ok, gals...I went home last night and looked over the recipe...what I decided, based on your fine input, was to order the fully cooked version (did it on my lunch hour), and NOT be in the kitchen all day!!!! I think Faith Marie might have been right about it being a fresh ham based on the cooking "an hour for each pound" in the recipe. I'm getting our ham from Avril Bleh meats, a Cincinnati (Germand) butcher since 1830, still in the same location downtown. All the men that work there are about 80. It's pretty darn cool.

ByHZGrace--My Nana was from Lousiana--Tioga, I think. We moved to Kentucky when I was a little one because my daddy was a jockey and this was the place to be!

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2006 :  5:59:25 PM  Show Profile
Miss Ellen- I had a southern grandmother who would boil the skin off of you if she didn't think ya looked good! They did salt and cure hams ( and alot seemed to go on in the smoke house)but I do not remember what went on after. They came North when I was 8. I guess I inherited the other side of the family's ham predilection! And NO! the Sam Ham was shared by two families, you silly girl!
Jonni- Glad you got this all sorted and are going to have a good time no matter what any of us have to say! Have a great T-Day!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ham--old recipe, smoked or "cooked" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page