sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2014 :  1:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Anyone ever had a dog with Mange. My Chihuahua caught it from a neighboring dog and she is suffering so bad. Anyone know of a non-drug holistic way to treat itching in animals?

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2014 :  8:05:35 PM  Show Profile
There are two types of mange, sarcoptic and demodectic. It requires a veterinarian to diagnose which it is. Sarcoptic can be very difficult to treat, demodectic is much easier. Dogs don't usually "get" mange from each other, rather it is an auto-immune problem and the dog becomes susceptible because it is compromised. It may also be suffering from ringworm instead of mange. Again, vet can easily diagnose.
Please don't use any of the old-wives tales that some folks employ, like dipping in crank case oil! That can be deadly to your dog. Bottom line, there may be home remedies, but please go to a vet and get a proper diagnosis first. Then, ask the vet about boosting your dog's immunity system while you are treating. Good luck with it.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2014 :  3:39:05 PM  Show Profile
I took her to the vet and she said it is Demodectic mites. They did a dip of an anti-fungal medicine. She is wearing the cone of shame and I have to apply crème to her 3 times per day. We found out that she has Hyper-thyroidism. This is what has caused the impaired immune system. We also changed her food to wheat free and she is doing really well. She has lost most of her hair, which is said for a Chihuahua in cold Wyoming. Two more dips every 2 weeks and we will done with the treatment.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

My Etsy

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  07:21:17 AM  Show Profile
Sherone, I'm so glad your dog is doing better. Melina gave you excellent advice. It sounds like the condition was too severe for some natural remedies to be completely successful.

I have used tea tree oil for minor skin problems and ringworm. When the tea tree oil doesn't help after a few days, I start regular meds.

I hope she continues to get better.

Catherine
Sisterhood #76
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  07:56:07 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, I wonder if the tea tree oil would help on her muzzle. They can put the meds on that area and it is kinda dry and sore. Can tea tree oil be injested?

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

My Etsy

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  12:00:38 PM  Show Profile
Tea tree is probably toxic if ingested in large amounts. You'll be using so little of it as a topical that if she licks it she won't be getting much.

I usually dilute the pure oil with another oil. I'll make a very small mixture...like a tablespoon of olive oil or almond oil or even mullein oil and just put one drop of tea tree in that and apply it to the animal like a lotion.

Catherine
Sisterhood #76
One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Mange Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page