Pizzarita
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Rita
Monroeville NJ
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  5:26:27 PM  Show Profile
Ok girls, I thought the Outpost would be the best place for this little tale. I was cleaning out and found this story that I must have had for years. I do not know the author to give credit but thought some might appreciate the levity. I apologize if someone already put this out there. Here goes.

My friend is a rather old-fashioned lady-always quite delicate and elegant, especially in her language. She and her husband were planning a week's vacation in Florida, so she wrote to a particular campground and asked for a reservation.

She wanted to make sure the campground was fully equipped, but didn't quite know how to ask about the toilet facilities-she just couldn't bring herself to write the word toilet in her letter. After much deliberation she finally came up with the old-fashioned term bathroom-commode.

But when she wrote that down, she still thought it sounded too forward. So she started all over again and rewrote the entire letter, and referred to the bathroom-commode merely as the B. C.
"Does the campground have its own B.C.?" is what she actually wrote.

Well the campground owner wasn't old-fashioned at all and when he got the letter he just couldn't figure out what the lady was talking about. That B.C. business sure had stumped him.

After worrying about it for a while he showed the letter to several campers but they couldn't imagine what the lady meant either. So the campground owner finally came to the conclusion that the lady must be asking about the location of the local Baptist Church, set down and wrote the following reply:

Dear Madam: I regret very much the delay in answering your letter, but I now take the pleasure of informing you that a B.C. is located nine miles north of the campground and is capable of seating 250 people at one time. I admit it is quite a distance away if you are in the habit of going regularly, but no doubt you will be pleased to know that a great number of people take their lunches along and make a day of it. They usually arrive early and stay late.

The last time my wife and I went was six years ago and it was so crowded we had to stand up the whole time we were there. It may interest you to know that right now there is a supper planned to raise money to buy more seats. They're going to hold it in the basement of the B.C.

I would like to say it pains me very much not to be able to go more regularly but is surely no lack of desire on my part. As we grow older, it seems to be more of an effort, particularly in cold weather.

If you decide to come down to our campground, perhaps I could go with you the first time you go, sit with your and introduce you to all the other folks.

Remember, this is a friendly community...

Rita
Farmgirl Sister #6110

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  06:22:56 AM  Show Profile
Tee Hee

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  06:48:05 AM  Show Profile
Cute. Gosh, I don't know how long that's been around. I remember first reading it 20+ years ago.

I love the part about raising money for more seats.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  11:30:20 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Too funny! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  5:39:22 PM  Show Profile
OMG! Rita... I am still laughing!

now, here is the kicker,,, I still refer to the 'toilet' as a commode.... and now that I think about it,,, I suspect the 'blank looks I get are 'cuz they have no idea what a commode is..... maybe I need to go back to the term, WC... (water closet)... lol!

Thanx for sharing such a funny story with us...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2014 :  09:46:09 AM  Show Profile
Love it!!

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2014 :  10:53:10 AM  Show Profile
hysterical!!!!!!!! My oldest, hubby, and I all cracked up! Thank you for sharing!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Funny Camping Story Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page