Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  09:11:25 AM  Show Profile
I am looking into the possibility of getting a dairy cow for our homestead. I have done some research and determined that a miniature Jersey cow, would probably fit our needs best. (We looked into goats, but I tried goats milk and couldn't stomach it.) I have found lots of info on how to milk cows, and the care and keeping of the animals, but very little on what to do once you've got the milk! So from those of you that keep a dairy animal, what's your work load and process look like once you've milked? How do you get it ready for storage/cheese/butter/recipes? What kind of equipment do you find helpful or necessary?
Also, how is your barn set up for your animals? We're going to have to rebuild our barn before we get our cow, so I can set it up however I like. Do you have a separate space for milking? Do you have any sort of kitchen type equipment in a separate space?

Thanks in advanced for your input!

Elizabeth

Farmgirl Sister #4915

Brian
Honorary Farmgirl

521 Posts

Brian
Moscow ID
USA
521 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  2:16:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Elizabeth,

Great questions! I'm not sure if you knew or not, but MaryJane's most recent book Milk Cow Kitchen (http://bit.ly/1yXuJ2v) answers each and every one of your questions. Half the book is recipes (including 15 cheese recipes) to use with your milk. The other half is everything having to do with owning and caring for your cow. We have instructions on milk parlor, equipment, feeding, purchasing, trailers and even a fashion section. Yes, fashion, because when feeding in sub-zero snow storms you might as well stay warm and look good in your duck-cloth bodysuit.

Your library might even have it available!

Thanks,

~Brian
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  3:51:55 PM  Show Profile
Good to know! I've put the book on my Christmas wish list!

Also, I'd like to know an estimate of how many hours of work a week people think then spend taking care of their animal and processing the milk.

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4235 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4235 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  4:20:53 PM  Show Profile
Another good source is the Keeping a Family Cow forum. I do have a family milk cow. Researching will help you out alot with ideas and you can figure out what will work best for you. Then after having a cow for a while you may change a few things. But it is a good way to start. It is alot of work, everyday. There are different ways to make things easier, but it is a commitment. You can use that good milk to make all your dairy products. Homemade will make you spoiled! I will usually spend about 4-4.5 hours making a wheel of cheese. While it takes time, lot of that time is spent waiting. My rough guess would be an hour a day milking, and caring for your cow. Depends on if you have pasture available or not. That is milking twice a day. My milking routine and clean up probably takes 20 minutes, as she lets down quickly. But that can vary too. I make cheese probably 3 days a week, when she is just fresh. Depends on how much you drink and how many jars you got in the fridge. Sometimes it does get overwhelming. But it is good! Some people milk once a day after their cow has been fresh for a while. I don't, I think it changes the taste of the milk. But that is me. I do leave the calf on the cow for about 4 months and share milk. I can start seperating the calf after she starts taking most of the milk for 12 hours. That takes at least a month or so rough guess to get to that point. Then at weaning I milk twice a day again. Everyone does what works for them. good luck

just a girl farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16411 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16411 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  5:49:39 PM  Show Profile
Here's another good source of conversation, https://www.heritagejersey.org/chatroom/

It takes me 35 minutes every day to milk my cow (when I have just one I'm milking), start to finish, milk left to cool in the ice chest.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~

Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  8:09:28 PM  Show Profile
Do you use a machine?

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16411 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16411 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  11:28:08 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I do. I have both a NuPulse and an electric EZ Milker. I prefer the EZ when I'm milking only one cow.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2014 :  2:56:30 PM  Show Profile
We are currently milking one cow on our homestead. We have goats and milk them by hand occasionally, but with our cow we use a refurbished Surge Belly Milker from the 50s. Still works great, with a new vacuum pump. It takes probably 45 minutes for us to milk the cow, process the milk, and clean the equipment. We use our milk raw, so all we do is bring it in, strain it through cheese cloth, and then place it in a container in the fridge. It is a little time consuming, but really it takes less time than going to the store to get milk! We keep our cow pastured in the front yard, but my husband has built a small milking shed/hay barn that we bring her to for milking.

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
http://crowsonshire.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2014 :  09:22:33 AM  Show Profile
I will have to look those machines up! We currently milk 15 goats here and have a capralite machine milking two at a time. The machine really cuts the time in half. I have the Milk Cow Kitchen book and it has everything you need to know in it. Really love the book.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic How is your dairy set up? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page