FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  11:21:11 AM  Show Profile
Okay - so about a month ago, we invited our neighbors blended family to our home for dinner on Thanksgiving. It could have been anywhere from 3 to 7 of them total for dinner depending on whether or not he got his kids for the day.

We have tons of food in various stages of prep and I even made pies from scratch - not an easy feat for me! lol

Well, after I worked and worked on pies last night, my DH tells me "Oh yeah, Michelle decided that she wants to cook her own meal so they aren't coming." WTH? 2 days before? I would never do that unless there was a genuine emergency - like last year when I had emergency surgery for appendicitis.

I still have 2 people who haven't cancelled, but dang -
I don't know if I should be mad or just say "More for us." I actually cried last night - more from hurt feelings I think than anything, but this isn't the first time these folks have backed out on us. I almost feel like I did something wrong. I just don't know.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6592 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6592 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  11:41:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh Lora, I am sorry your neighbors changed their plans at the last moment! Of course you were disappointed after so much preplanning for dinner, but I wouldn't take it personally. Sometimes people commit before they are sure they can come. If your other guests do not show up, just think about all the meals you will have in the freezer just ready to reheat when life get so busy and you don't have time to cook. That might be a huge blessing and help for a busy December or just for the next few months when you can say today is "cooks night off" and still have something delicious for dinner!! Sounds like a winner to me! Happy thanksgiving to you!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  11:57:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Winnie. I'm trying to look at it that way. It's just so frustrating. We went from 14 people to 5. I had also invited my brother, but he changed his mind after his daughter decided she was going to host a dinner at her new home in another city. I'm okay with that because at least he let me know a couple of weeks ago and I would want him to be with her. She invited us also, but after we talked we both felt it would be rude of me to cancel our dinner for our guests. I told her we could plan together for next year. She agreed. I still want to have dinner with the two gentlemen we invited because we love them dearly. They live a different lifestyle than any of our other friends and their own families have turned their backs to them. I have been friends with one of them for many years and he has been there for me numerous times when other friends weren't. He's like a brother to me. Although his partner took a while to warm up to us due to the way others have treated him, he's become a dear friend too.

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  12:06:30 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry, too, Lora... People sure can be poopers. That surely is a letdown, especially when you've gone through all that work and are looking forward to a full, bustling home and holiday table. I know how hurtful that can be, but truly, I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. I bet your celebration will be absolutely wonderful without them - probably even MORESO without them! And you're right: More for you! YAY! Leftovers are a WONDERFUL thing! That's definitely something to be happy about! Plus, now you have more time to focus on the people who ARE there with you - the people who really love you. Less chaos, less work cleaning up, more time for fellowship, and lots of good food. Sounds like a perfect holiday to me! Maybe you can even take in some Christmas lights after dinner, or do something else fun! :) I'll be thinking of you, sister, and praying for you to have the best Thanksgiving ever! God love and bless you abundantly! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  12:44:28 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Lors, I'm sorry for the disappointment! I will pray that you and whoever is there to enjoy your dinner just have a blessed and special Thanksgiving! And, I agree . . . YAY for leftovers!
Hang in there farmgirl friend!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2014 :  1:07:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lora! How frustrating. There is nothing I can add that the other dear Farmgirls have already said... though maybe it kinda goes with what Nini said of everything happening for a reason... perhaps they would not have been kind to your other friends!?!? In any case, many (((hugs))) to you! We too just found out that the family that was going to join us will not be any longer, because we said we were not serving alcohol :/ So frustrating - but at least I knew before I started preparing everything!!! Much love to you Lora!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2014 :  05:03:50 AM  Show Profile
Oh Lora, what a disappointment! I hope you enjoyed your day anyway.

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  4:58:48 PM  Show Profile
Lora, I agree with all the other girls....what a disappointment and how frustrating.

You're an amazing woman to open your home to other people and be willing to feed up to 15 people all on your own without any 'potluck' contributions. You deserve a star. A bunch of stars! ***************

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2014 :  11:02:34 PM  Show Profile
This happened to me years ago. I had a uncle going through a divorce who was lamenting not having thanksgiving with his wife and her family as he had 30 years!

So I thought I'll give him dinner with me, (I was single and living on my own), I decided to invite my other single uncle too, and a few other people. I personally went around and invited every one about a week early. The day of, and I have every thing cooked and ready, and no one shows up... I called them, and the divorced one was drunk and wouldn't come, the other uncle said he had made plans with his girl friends family, and thought I was joking, another guest said she too thought I was joking and didn't think I really knew how to cook, so thought it was a joke, and on and on, with every one I had invited. There was NOOOOO freaking way I could eat all the food I had made (a ton!) and so much from scratch too! So I just started calling some of my single young friends and invited them... only 2 came.... yeah......... I wasn't too pleased either. I still don't see how some one invites you to dinner, and you say ok, and then think they are joking... there was no laughing when I invited them... it was odd, and I decided divorced uncle could continue to fend for himself from then on too.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2014 :  05:31:24 AM  Show Profile
I'm so very sorry this happened to you Lora. I hope yours was a wonder Thanksgiving day.

My sister and her family would play a game of we're coming over and then just not show up. After putting up with it for years, I quit asking and wouldn't do a thing if they said they were coming for dinner. They didn't show up at all on a Thanksgiving for me too. In their case they were having their version of fun. I have moved on and feel much better and happier for it.

Only invite those who people you care about and who care for you too! Be polite with the neighbor, but move on! Inconsiderate people aren't worth your while!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2014 :  1:01:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls. Glad I'm not the only one this has happened - though I don't like that it has happened to you at all. We are gearing up for round 2 this weekend. I decided to host an Ugly Christmas Sweater party. I invited way more people than I knew would show up. Right now I have RSVP's from about 10 people. I've made a bunch of fun sweets like carmels, popcorn balls, fudge, snack mix, etc. Going to make cookies, a cake, sweet and sour meatballs and BBQ little smokies. I have some chips and dip/salsa, cheese and crackers and a veggie plate planned too. Just about everything I planned can be frozen if not eaten. I've gone a little overboard on the decorating too. I have 3 trees up, garland on everything, candles, stockings, snowmen etc. I also bought an ugly Christmas afghan at the thrift store to throw over an old chair that has some mystery spots on it. I've tied Christmas themed aprons on some of my chairs and have some extra sweaters to put on other chairs. My DS thinks I've lost my mind. lol My grandmother would have loved it!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Thanksgiving snafu. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page