Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting Next Topic  

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  07:24:39 AM  Show Profile
I enjoy knitting. My gma taught me when I was about 10 or so. Then in home ec class in Jr high I really took off :)
After marriage and kids kind of just stopped knitting.

Now, retired and a gma I've begun again and enjoy it.
My problem is I'm old school!!! Lol! I learned on straight needles and it's what I'm most comfortable with. Although im having fun with knifty knitters too.

Question?? Am I the only straight needle hold out? Most patterns now are for circular and/or double points. I don't even know how to use them. When I tried circulars once I found them kind of awkward personally.

Is there a way to re-do a pattern from circular instructions to straight needles?

Would sure love input on this!

Thank you

Hugs,
Linda

http://grannysbirds.blogspot.com/
Country at Heart
'For I know the plans I have for you......'

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  08:31:33 AM  Show Profile
LOL! LINDA! AWESOME! I just started knitting again, too! And you know, when I went to purchase a set of needles, I saw the circulars and was a bit frightened by them! Nicole (Texdane) actually teaches knitting classes, so I'm sure she will be a great help to us in getting back in the swing! Maybe she and our other knitting farmgirl sisters will be able to advise us on this! I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone, myself! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  08:36:29 AM  Show Profile
your right, st needles are old school, that is how I learned 40 years ago. But the truth is, really circular needles are NOT hard at all, they really are very easy, and are faster to use. The main problem people have with the double points and circulars are they have a tendency to twist the stitches when they start. And really working with 5 needles is very easy ONCE you get use to it.
I would suggest a few things to bring you in to knitting in the round, get a set of double point needles and just learn by watching a youtube video don't try to knit anything, just cast on about 6 stitches on each needle and get the feel for it. As for the circular, my suggestion would be cast on stitches very loose, then just st knit the very first round, after that first row, it is easier to see how your stitches are lined up. Which means you will be less likely to twist the stitches.And then on the second row start knitting in the round. Try that until you feel comfortable ... it really is not hard at all ... BTW, MOST patterns can be knit flat, you will just have a seam in them ... which in MOST patterns that is very undesirable. And when you knit in the round ... you almost never have to purl, unless pattern calls for it ... and one more thing about knitting in the round ... when you done, your done. Good luck!

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
www.google.com/+whitesheepfarm
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  09:51:52 AM  Show Profile
I still use straight needles. I still have the pair I was taught with by my grandmother. This last winter I bought some kniffy knitters. Easy on the hands. I find them limited in designing. I have put it on my goal list for this next year to learn to use circular needles and to knit socks. Off topic: My goal to learn this year was tatting and I did learn how to although it was needle tatting and not with a shuttle!

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  12:00:37 PM  Show Profile
I know exactly what you mean...I learned on straight needles when I was about 8 or 9 years old. And, I cast on the old way too!

Just a few years ago I taught myself, after searching on the web, how to use circular knitting needles. I'm knitting a sweater shawl right now courtesy of MJ Sweater Shawl pattern. DPN's are not difficult once you get over the fact that your stitches will not come off the ends! You are never to old to learn!!!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  2:06:33 PM  Show Profile
Love all this input!! Thank you all!!
Betty.....there are great patterns on you tube for knifty knitter projects! Even gloves and socks!

Hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  4:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
I love to knit as well. Wooden straights Re my fav needles, although i use double points more... i like to knit socks. I use circulars when i have to bug like you said...they just dont feel right.!

Dream like you have a lifetime ahead of you. Live like you only have today.
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2014 :  4:48:41 PM  Show Profile
You might try using a cicular needle like you would 2 straight needles just to get the feel of them. The only difference between kniiting strsight and knitting round is in knitting in the round you attach the last stitch to the first stitch so you never have to turn the needles around, you just keep going around in a circle; no need to pearl! Like teri said, make sure the stitches are not twisted before you attach the the last stitch to the first one. I find it fun and relaxing, too! Straight, circular, or dpn, its all good.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  6:06:35 PM  Show Profile
Okay girls, here's the 411. You can use a circular needle in place of any straight one, but if a pattern is knit on circular needles, usually a straight needle won't work. It definitely won't work if the piece is "knitted in the round", meaning both sides are connected and you are knitting something seamless, like a seamless hat for example. Double pointed needles are tricky, but once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad.

I personally love my straight needles. What are you trying to knit, exactly?

Nini, darling, thanks for the plug. ;) Luv u.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2014 :  9:07:27 PM  Show Profile
Nicole, nothing in particular......was just wondering if a pattern for circular could be easily re-written for straight needles?

Hugs,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2014 :  05:16:56 AM  Show Profile
I am sure this will help
http://cag.kp.images.s3.amazonaws.com/NING/tutorial%20PDFs/flatvsround.pdf
also, if you are knitting flat from an in the round pattern, you just have to add a few sttiches for seaming when done.

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
www.google.com/+whitesheepfarm
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2014 :  05:57:09 AM  Show Profile
Teri.......that helped quite a bit!
Thank you everyone, for advice, encouragement to try new things and looking for answers!
Farmgirls rule!!

Maybe next year I will get braver and attempt a small project on curculars and double points.
Thanks again!

Blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2014 :  07:19:58 AM  Show Profile
Linda,
I teach knitting professionally for my town and schools, so if you need suggestions on projects, email me and I will send you some links. Many patterns are available for free, and I have written some myself that I would send you copies.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts