Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  07:50:55 AM  Show Profile
BarefootGoatGirl mentioned that she had Sally Fallon's cookbook/way-of-eating book "Nourishing Traditions." Do any other of you farmgirls have this one? And if you do, what do you think about her eating/food philosophies?

I have the book and am still reading my way through it and deciding what I think...

It's REALLY interesting. A very worthwhile addition to the cookbook library!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  07:52:00 AM  Show Profile
Yes I own it. I haven't managed to read most of it yet but I think most of what she has to say is very good.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  08:22:19 AM  Show Profile
Libbie! I am really interested in this book now, too!
Where did you buy yours?

For Christmas, for my Mom and my sisters, I am going to put together a "Cooking Basket" I have found some pretty baskets and in them will go: A handknit dishcloth, some holiday teatowels, maybe some measuring cups, AND a cool new cookbook...I think I just might give this one...
What do you think??

Will my Mom think it is too woo-woo? (her description of anything from zen meditation, to chiropractics to certain vitamins!)

Love
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  10:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I just recently bought the cookbook as an encouragement to get back to eating as I believe I should. A year ago, we did the Maker's Diet and saw wonderful results. My energy went through the roof, my very thin child started gaining weight (I lost it), my husbands PT score maxed out...generaly we just felt great. This summer things got busy and I let the diet slip. We really felt the diffrence and I needed a few good ideas to get my healthy cooking back underway. Her diet is a bit more relaxed than Jordan Rubans and requires much less meat, making it more affordable. Since you cook in advance, it takes some planning, but eliminates the last minute "what's for supper?"

Kate...I love your Christmas idea. If your mom is already into whole foods, she may enjoy the cookbook (it has lots of interesting tidbits along side the recipies), but otherwise it would be a no-go. We have friends who say they would rather starve than eat what I cook (big talk...they always eat my potluck dishes), it's somekind of mental block they cant get past. I got mine at our local healthfood store, but it can also be purchased at www.urbanhomemaker.com They have lots of other great cookbooks too, so it may help in your search.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  6:36:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Libbie,
Just saw your post about the Nourishing Traditions book. I have it and just love it!
She has a recipe for Sauerkraut that I have been making. She suggests using whey when you are fermenting the kraut as the lactic acid is very good for you.
I even have it listed on my blog as one of my favorite books.
I saw that Trina listed the Urban Homemaker website. Have you all ever listened in on the Phone Seminars that they offer? They are free and if you sign up for the newsletter at their website, you will be notified of the seminars. Sally Fallon was on a seminar a couple of weeks ago.
Very interesting.
Take Care.
Lindy
sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2006 :  06:56:52 AM  Show Profile
Can anyone tell me more about the premise of this book? I've never heard of it, but I have a close friend who was always overweight and spent a LOT of time in OA--she got down to a size 6, but she had her second child 15 months ago, and is really struggling, though she's a 10 and it's no bigeee...except to her. She doesn't want to do OA because she feels a little betrayed by the thought processes and I don't know enough about it to confirm or deny, but this book sounds like a great gift for her--especially with the thought processes that go along with eating right (nourishing body, mind and soul).

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2006 :  2:17:50 PM  Show Profile
@Jonni...You might want to check out this site: http://www.westonaprice.org/index.html Nourishing Traditions is based on the work of Dr. Price, which essentially promotes a diet of natural, whole foods. Fallon is also a big proponent of things like raw milk and the avoidance of all processed, refined, etc. foods (which only makes sense, imo). I've tried to adhere to the basic principles of her book on the recommendation of my homeopath for a couple of years now, and let me just say that it's been a real help with my migraines and GI issues.

Edited by - laluna on Nov 24 2006 2:19:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2006 :  07:03:02 AM  Show Profile
I have the book and for the most part I agree with her way of thinking. My own health history bears it out. When I was in college I lived for a year in northern Spain. The food industry there was definitely more "unprocessed". Almost nothing had sugar in it, even the pastries weren't excessively sweet. Meats were cured naturally in dry, arid climate not in factories. The food was VERY traditional. A lot of seafood, poultry and eggs made up the protein. Pork was added to every meal but just a dab (enough to prove you are a "christian" not a moor, please, I realize this is not politically correct it just happens to be the tradition in Spain...) No corn in the diet, corn is for livestock feed. Wine at every meal. I ate until I was stuffed every day but lost 40 pounds while I was there. Of course I didn't have a car so had to walk everywhere. When I returned to the US it didn't take long to put the weight back on.

I haven't tried some of the more exotic foods in the book, though, since I haven't made the effort to search them out.

The way it is going they will be at my local supermarket soon, though, since I see more and more organics and international cuisine items there all the time! Although I am sure they will probably not be "unprocessed".

I did notice this year that I lost 10 pounds without even trying which I attribute to eating more fresh and unprocessed foods directly from my garden, the farmer's market, and my CSA lady's organic garden.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  06:44:36 AM  Show Profile
Kyrgurlsarebest-

There are a bunch of reviews on amazon.com for this book http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Traditions-Challenges-Politically-Dictocrats/dp/0967089735 and I think I like this excerpt from one of them best to summarize the book:

the central tenant of the book, which in very simple terms is `Eat the way your great grandparents ate'. Some of the more important details are:

1. Avoid processed fats, starches, sugars, and proteins. They are not of no value. They are unhealthy.
2. Eat animal protein and their accompanying fats.
3. Eat whole grain products.
4. Eat foods prepared in such a way that avoids loosing important nutrients.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2006 :  06:52:06 AM  Show Profile
Brenda - I think that's a great summary! The "eat the way your great-grandparents ate," is especially true - difficult sometimes with what's so easily available now, but SO much better.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2006 :  06:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Me again...I am more in love with the cookbook now than I was two weeks ago. I recently made the Indian Pancakes (Dosas) and my whole family loved them! Jordan Ruban refrences Sally Fallon's recipies in the back of his book, but her book is easier to read and less preachy. I have heard of the Urban Homemakers phone seminars, but never got around to signing up for one. I think I'll go over there now and see if I can down load the one with Sally Fallon.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

mama0moon
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Stephanie
New Hampshire
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  1:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Send mama0moon an AOL message  Send mama0moon a Yahoo! Message
I have this book and love the basic premise however I'm not overly big on the big focus on foods from other parts of the world. I'm of the belief that we should eat locally, in season and focus more on what our ancestors ate. My family originated in Northern Europe and UK so I find that an abundance of food from the Far East leaves me feeling off balance. Everything in moderation is, as always, key but I find sticking with what will grow locally to my region is what makes me feel healthiest.

Steph

Edited by - mama0moon on Dec 05 2006 1:21:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  1:59:17 PM  Show Profile
I just ordered this as a Christmas gift for my friend, Patty, from Amazon--I perused it in our Borders on Friday night, but new I could get it for much less through Amazon, and there was also this really painful live music going on so I had to jet out of there right quick! ...

It seems really wonderful--full of great info, and I know Patty will really appreciate it, especially with all of her waining faith in OA. Luckily, she already cooks like she's from the middle east, so I think the world recipes will be right up her alley!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  4:16:22 PM  Show Profile
Ive heard a few different people recommend this book, so now I really want to get it and see what all the fuss is about, LOL! But I tend to agree with Steph in that we should eat locally, and in season if possible. Steph have you read Eat Right For Your Type? What you described re: your ancestors is the basis of this book. DH swears by it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

mama0moon
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Stephanie
New Hampshire
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2006 :  5:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Send mama0moon an AOL message  Send mama0moon a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by vintagechica

Steph have you read Eat Right For Your Type? What you described re: your ancestors is the basis of this book. DH swears by it.

Yes! I was given a copy of the book earlier this year and just love it.

Steph

http://apagans.lifeontheridge.com

“I believe in God, only I spell it Nature.” ~ Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  12:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Ok, now I want to know about this Eat Right for Your Type book....Is it saying that you should look at your ancestors and eat what they did because that is what will be best for you? What about people who are of such mixed herritage that they have very little idea? This is intriguing...

Trina

'
Go to Top of Page

mama0moon
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Stephanie
New Hampshire
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2006 :  1:14:33 PM  Show Profile  Send mama0moon an AOL message  Send mama0moon a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by BarefootGoatGirl

Ok, now I want to know about this Eat Right for Your Type book....Is it saying that you should look at your ancestors and eat what they did because that is what will be best for you? What about people who are of such mixed herritage that they have very little idea? This is intriguing...

It's based on your blood type and apparently that is in some relation due to your ancestry. What I have found interesting about it is that some of the foods I should avoid I have an intolerance or allergy to anyway. It's a wonderful way to learn how to listen to your body's signals.

Steph

http://apagans.lifeontheridge.com

“I believe in God, only I spell it Nature.” ~ Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  11:44:49 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I'll have to read that, it sounds interesting.

'
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  12:16:50 PM  Show Profile
I had to read this, too... and today it arrived. I'm still in the very beginning, reading about fats and their chemistry... and tempted to skip around. I do think the premise sounds good, however! Thanks, Libbie, for raising this topic.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  11:09:53 AM  Show Profile
I was up reading Nourishing Traditions far too late last night, but began fermenting oats with yogurt for an overnight soak.... and they turned out well!

I made a quick trip to the Healthfood store and picked up raw vinegar and flax oil, as well as organic maple syrup (the regular syrup has formaldhyde used in the process! Triple yuck.). Libbie, are you moving toward the Nourishing Traditions methods of eating...Or perhaps you were already well on the path? I can't buy raw milk here, so will have to wait for the farm projects to play out to the milk cow before I can provide us with milk.

I had NO IDEA how bad the whole modern food "system" is. I do question some of the conclusions, however. The logic doesn't always seem proved to me. The outcomes, at times, may be caused by something other than the presumed cause.

Meanwhile, there's lots to learn and implement.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  7:05:54 PM  Show Profile
Yes - I am moving more and more in that direction. Some of the things in the cookbook just don't appeal at all to me (like raw meat), and I understand and agree with what you say, Ann, about some of the conclusions, HOWEVER, there is so much GOOD in there that I'm just trying to take that and "run with it," as we all do with most things. One thing I really enjoy about this book is, whatever you choose to do from it or not do, it makes you THINK about your food - what it really is and where it really comes from. I really think that THAT is valuable enough to warrant the read.

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  1:28:53 PM  Show Profile
Well said, Libbie. I've read up to the section on "vitamins", and re-read a lot of this intro part, then have also scattered everywhere throughout the book. I do trust a lot (most)of the information and am trying to think how to implement what I've learned. As for what we're eating and where it's coming from... there simply aren't words. Oh, I also don't do raw meat. Rare, however, is fine! And, whew, I'm so glad sourdough bread is healthy!

So much to learn...

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  06:15:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi, ladies. I have this book as well. In my opinion, her ideas are both thoughtful and helpful.

I am a cancer survivor, and I attribute a massive change in diet as well as lifestyle to my increased health, vitality and wellness.

We are fortunate here to have a Himalayan Institute. It offers yoga classes, very reasonable, in their small place on Main St. in little old Honesdale, PA. Their big retreat center is in the country not too far from town. The medical doctor there recommended this book to me when I went for consultation.

I have used some things from her book. One key element is soaking items-seeds, nuts and making sprouts. I do this and feel it has helped me out nutritionally as well as digestively. Also, soaking rice, but I have not gotten this far. I need to make the commitment to do this.

Another element that has helepd me is adding seaweeds to my soups to increase the mineral content in the broths. It tastes yummy, and I found I actually crave seaweed now. It has been written in places that our soils are depleted and so even some orgnanic food does not have the mineral content of our ancestor's food. One way to supplement naturally is with seaweeds in the diet.

The big item that has helped me, and I think it goes against her book, is juicing. I found that 5-7 days a week of carrot/apple/parsley juice has improved my skin, made me feel younger, helped with digestion and losing weight and increased my vitality. I tell people that juicing has saved my life. The vitamins and enzymes go right into the bloodstream where they can be utilized by the body almost instantly.

The idea of her book is that cooking or soaking helps break down the food to make it more easily digestible, that adding natural enzymes back in by way of fermented food also increases digestion and utilization of food by the body. this is true, but I like to add juicing for the enzymes and consider it a natural liquid vitamin.

As for eating for blood type, I have read up on this and incorporated some things. My blood type says to avoid wheat, corn and animal protein and all dairy. I have found this to be helpful. There were months where I ate only raw foods, and I felt the best in my life EVER. I find it to be hard to maintain if I am still cooking some for the family. So, I compromise now with juicing, big full salads at lunch time, fruit and fresh veggies anytime during the day and a little cooked food at evening time-soup, some brown rice and lightly stir fried veggies. I eat a little wheat and dairy if I feel like it, but I no longer have food cravings.

Also, it helps to say affirmations. I say "I am free of addictions, cravings and substance abuse." After a couple days of giving up sugar and wheat, my body no longer physically craves it. it takes longer to psychologically let go of the "want" for comfort foods. I found I needed to reorganize my time. I used to bake and cook and spend hours planning menus, shopping, cooking, etc. Now I have a few mainstays and can spend more time reaing or sewing. When I was on all raw foods, the one book said you will have more time available and need to find something to do with it. It really frees you up for creative work.

Well, I have no idea if anyone will read this as this thread is from a while ago, but hope it can help some of you out. As for losing weight, I lost 35 pounds and went back to a size 6. When I was on raw, I was down to a size 4. Yes, I walk and do yoga and exercise most days, but I did this before as well. The diet detoxified my body, weight just melted off. No more "puffiness", no more eczema, a really amazing complexion now, a glow really. I look ten years younger. I ahve more energy than in years. I feel like I got my life back.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  09:12:24 AM  Show Profile
Clare, congratulation on beating cancer. And, thank you for writing about your positive experiences with "Nourishing Traditions". Your insights are helpful! Yes, the psychological needs are so real. To beat those cravings is such an accomplishment.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2006 :  5:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Good comments, Claire. Right now, I do not follow any diet exclusively. I try to eat at least 50% of my food raw (so I do juice), consume significant quantities of fermented products, and soak all grains, seeds, and rice. Although my recovery has not been as dramatic as yours, I was able to rid my body of allergy and asthmatic symptoms caused by toxins.

'
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Nourishing Traditions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page