Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Crimson Clover Next Topic  

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2014 :  9:15:30 PM  Show Profile
I put out Crimson Clover seed on about 1/4 acre today.

I'll be getting my first beehive next year and I want the flowers for them. Plus, my goats will enjoy it, too. If the goats like it too much I might have to plant up to 1/2 acre.

The turkeys and chickens were following me around and eating the seeds. Hopefully, they left enough behind to sprout and take root.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  05:16:05 AM  Show Profile
I have some seed of this that I need to scatter soon.
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  12:18:40 PM  Show Profile
It is so pretty. I like the white clover, too. But the red is just so striking. Red is my happy color. I use it as accents in every room of my house.

I'm thinking about going scatter some in the ditches down our country road. It would be so pretty and make everybody happy. Well, if not everybody, at least me!

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6941 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6941 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2014 :  1:53:21 PM  Show Profile
In Grayson County, north central Texas, along Hwy 75 into OK the state sows crimson clover along with blue bonnets. Very pretty.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Country Yankee Gal
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Rosemarie
Charleston area South Carolina
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2014 :  2:35:40 PM  Show Profile
I used crimson clover as a cover crop last year in my raised beds. I didn't get to see it bloom (I had to turn it under for spring planting), but I had a bunch of seed left over and spread that in the bare spots in my yard. I love clover, and my yard has tons of white clover. I'm looking forward to seeing the red blooms among the white ones this coming spring.

As a note, clover is a legume so it fixes nitrogen into the soil. It's also a great addition to the compost pile - when you cut your grass/clover combo. And it draws the bees!!! I love it!

Rosemarie, Farmgirl #6055
~ Planting Yankee roots in Southern soil

www.sanctuarygardener.com
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2014 :  2:05:00 PM  Show Profile
I bought a 50 pound bag when I bought the clover. So, I have so much left over even after seeding my pasture area.

I went driving down the country road that leads to our home and I threw seed out into the ditches. I hope it sets. Won't it be so pretty to come home like I'm being welcomed down the 'red carpet'?!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Crimson Clover Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page