Chickens4Lisa
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Lisa
Rescue California
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2014 :  09:03:59 AM  Show Profile
Y'all are not allowed to laugh at me. NOT ALLOWED. Okay, maybe a little....

I received two nigerian dwarf goats from a friend. He had someone castrate them while babies, by Burdizzo. I knew they were wethered, so I never gave it a second thought when their testes started growing. I know, I know...newbie...but my reasoning was "my husband is fixed, and he still 'looks normal', therefore I'm sure my goats are fixed."

Oh lordy...clean your computer screen from where you spit your coffee out on it from laughing.

My question...at about six months now, can I just band them? I "felt them up", so to speak (I know...it just keeps getting better!) and I think the Burdizzo DID work, but maybe just got one.

Thoughts?

~Lisa

kysheeplady
True Blue Farmgirl

1291 Posts

Teri
KY
USA
1291 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2014 :  1:49:02 PM  Show Profile
On sheep, sometimes when they band to young, and their testies haven't dropped they can still produce, that is not a guarantee.They call them "teasers" used to bring the sheep into season.
Once they reach a certain age they can not be banded safely ... I had to have my goats done by a vet, and it took a long time for them to come back around. It is harder on them the older they get.
They really should be done before a month old.

Teri
"There are black sheep in every flock"

www.whitesheepfarm.com
www.etsy.com/shop/whitesheepprimitive
google.com/+whitesheepfarm
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2014 :  3:10:42 PM  Show Profile
I agree totaly with Teri, its alot of pain and long healing time , with a much higher chance of infection.. you can always have a vet inspect them to see if they are casterated or not, good luck...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Castrating Older Goats Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page