Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Hello again-returning member
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello again-returning member Next Topic  

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2014 :  02:48:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi or hi again!

I was a member of this site and farmgirl sisterhood a couple years back but life kind of went crazy and I just didn't have time to keep up with either. I really need some inspiration and uplifting in my life so thought I'd make the effort to get back involved, both with y'all here and with the Sisterhood badges.

We are from Texas but we are military and currently live in Germany-any chance there is anyone else out there in the same situation?? I'd love to connect with some others near me who are into natural living, crafts, farming (or dreaming of it) and gardening.

Also is there a list somewhere of the farmgirl chapters and online chapters? I can't find a comprehensive list anywhere but maybe I need to look harder.

A little about me, I'm a mom of 3 (soon to be 4) ages 9, 5, 3(almost) and the new one due in Feb. I homeschool my oldest with a very relaxed eclectic approach. Currently leaning more in the unschooling world due to life being busy but we throw in a little classical and a little Charlotte Mason and a bunch of other stuff! I am hoping to do some of the Young Cultivator stuff with her (my 9-year-old) as well but she is also in American Heritage Girls and Awanas so we are pretty busy earning various badges and awards for those :).

We have live in Germany since February, before that we were in Savannah GA and I miss it a ton but I'm trying to make the best of being here. It has been quite a challenge. There are some good things, GMOs are banned so you don't have to worry about anything in the store being modified, lots of the chemicals in American food are banned too. Many items in regular groceries stores are from local producers and are labeled as such. There is a great farm somewhat nearby to get raw milk (bring your own jar and he literally takes the morning's milking out of the tank into your jar!) that is really cheap compared to what we paid in the states. But other things are really challenging.

I love many types of crafts, I'm especially drawn to historic crafts that are rare now (weaving, lacemaking, I'd LOVE to learn spinning, etc) I also like painting and crochet is my usual go to craft. I was a part of a middle ages recreation group and as much as I'd like to be active again my kids and the distance to events here make it a challenge but I'm still interested in the research of the era! I dream of having my own small farm some day, hopefully in or near Texas. We are hoping when we leave here we can settle somewhere where hubby can retire and we can start building our farm.

I'm currently working on items for a craft fair here, so I need to run and crochet some more Christmas ornaments! (And get DD back on track with school!) I have mason jar drinking jars (with straws), mason jar soap dispensers, crocheted Christmas ornament snowflakes (I can point you to a great blog with these!), and homemade extracts! We are trying to make some luminaries with tin cans but not sure we will finish.

Look forward to getting to know you all (again). Oh and my mom is around here somewhere, not sure she is still active!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2014 :  04:50:10 AM  Show Profile
Hello Sabrina from Florida! It is great to hear from you again and all of your experiences in a new country. It sounds like you are keeping quite busy these days with your growing family and crafting. How long will you be stationed in Germany? It is such a beautiful country and there are so many opportunities to travel and see incredible places close by. I have always wanted to see the Christmas Market with all of the handcrafted wooden ornaments. My guess is that some of that is available everywhere in many little shops during December. Thanks for checking in and keep us posted on how life is going for you!

Auf Wedersein! ( not sure if I spelled that right!! LOL)

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2014 :  05:25:33 AM  Show Profile
We are supposed to be here 3 years total but that is as up in the air as anything with the military! We were here before in 2001-2004 but in a different area and didn't have children then! We are trying to take advantage of traveling but one of my kids doesn't adjust well to overnights in other places right now so we are limited. We are pretty much in the boonies of Germany right now, its beautiful but not really near anything. Yes the Christmas items you are describing are available all over, there are even Christmas shops that are open all year. But I hope to make it to at least one market this year. I will be waddling by then so we will see :).

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2014 :  05:55:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sabrina! Welcome back! Your life sounds jam packed right now! I don't know what part of Germany you're in, but I was in Munich for just overnight, so I didn't get to see much of it, but the flight in and out of Munich was beautiful. The forest and hills were just lovely. It must be a very interesting life to be living in another country with kids. It sounds like you keep them busy though. I'm surprised to hear of Awana in Germany! I was an Awana leader when I was in high school. Do you just do it with them yourself?

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." - Anne Shirley

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2014 :  06:34:58 AM  Show Profile
We are on a military base and the chapel here runs an AWANA club! We are really happy to be able to do that here since that was something she really enjoyed in the states. AWANA does have a homeschool program now so that would have been an option if we didn't have a club here but luckily there was since that is more fun for them!

And because I know someone will ask we are allowed to homeschool here because we are here on military orders. If we were here for any other reason we would not be allowed to. :)

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2014 :  06:47:29 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back! We are glad to see you!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2014 :  09:13:46 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Sabrina, glad you are here again!

Farmgirl sister #308
Swag Bag Marketing
www.marketsofsunshine.com
Bible Research
www.jw.org
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
626 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2014 :  1:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Yeah I might've asked that. I remember seeing an email from HSLDA (I also homeschool) about a family in Germany that was homeschooling. I don't remember the details, but I remember it did not have a happy ending. I'm so glad that you have a loophole that allows you to homeschool! That's great.

Erin
Farmgirl #3762

"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers." - Anne Shirley

http://www.etsy.com/shop/femmepostale/
http://www.pinterest.com/femmepostale/
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

752 Posts

Sabrina
Kansas
USA
752 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2014 :  01:16:28 AM  Show Profile
Yeah basically we don't fall under the German education system, people can, under certain circumstances, choose to send their kids to German schools (but usually have to pay) but most of the military kids go to the school on base, since part of the agreement of being here is that we have "American School options" homeschooling falls under that as an option. We actually have quite a large homeschool community here.

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2014 :  5:30:31 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back, Sabrina! Wow, a bunch has happened in your life. I hope you find some like-minded farmgirls near you. Plus, there's always farmgirls here to talk to!

Thank you to you and your family for your military service to our country.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2014 :  09:19:07 AM  Show Profile
Welcome back Sabrina!!!

Wow, life is sure busy for you! Thank you and your husband for your service to our country, my prayers are always with the military and their families.

It must be so beautiful in Germany, I would love to visit someday. I am glad that you are able to homeschool and the Awana program is great, so glad you have that too.

We don't have any children but from everything I have read I would be using Charlotte Mason, it sounds like a great well-rounded curriculum to supplement with.

I would love to learn lacemaking as well, I guess that's what I get from watching Larkrise to Candleford :)
Your craft fair items sound perfect, someday I would like to learn to crochet.

I belong to Farmgirls Southwest, a virtual henhouse. CJ is our mother hen. Things have been busy with everyone but I know that CJ has some great things in store for us :)

I am praying for a safe and healthy pregnancy and delivery for you!

Welcome back!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13621 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13621 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2014 :  5:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Welcome back Sabrina!
This is a great place to get inspired and encouraged!
Hope you'll find LOTS of that!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9325 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9325 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2014 :  5:58:20 PM  Show Profile
Welcome back Sabrina! Sounds like you have lots going on and coming up. Congratulations on your new little expectation. Sounds wonderful to be able to go shopping and not constantly have to be reading labels and watching every little thing and trying to find out where it comes from. Oh and to have raw milk handy. Not an easy thing to get here where I am.
I hope you will enjoy some time back here with us!

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello again-returning member Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page