Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Officially in the Hay business
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Officially in the Hay business Next Topic  

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2014 :  10:30:34 AM  Show Profile
We are officially in the hay business. When my grandfather passed away in March, he left me and my brother some money. He also left me a hay wagon. I guess he knew before I did. My brother and I both paid off bills. He expanded his recording studio and I bought hay equipment. Can you tell we went in different directions? lol
We found a great tractor (it's red, tee hee) with a good motor at a farm auction close to home. We completely replaced all the interior trim and next year we are going to repaint the outside. Then we found a rake and a low-boy trailer at a large equipment auction. After that we drove to Ohio and bought a baler and a tedder. We baled hay with our neighbor (he has equipment too) all summer.

We have decided to fence off 2 acres of our 12 acre field for pasture and the other 10 are going to be hay. We picked up about 35 acres of custom baling for next year.

DH can't throw hay due to his back/nerve issues and the fact that he falls a LOT. He even fell off the trailer while trying to help me. Thankfully it is only a tire-height off the ground and he wasn't hurt. He drives the tractor for raking, tedding, and baling. Our neighbor mows.
Our son and I can throw and I learned how to stack properly. I can only go 4 stacks high and still be able to tie in, but I am hoping to build some muscles to make it 5 by next summer.

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" -John Wayne
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com www.farmallchickphotos.blogspot.com

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2014 :  11:11:48 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations!! I'm so happy and excited for you. This is going to be a fun adventure. If I lived closer, I'd come be a 'hand' for no pay.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6973 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6973 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2014 :  11:31:23 AM  Show Profile
I want to join in on the celebration too. Congrats on using your grandfather's gift on what you really wanted. Hard work ahead for you but such joy when you see the rows of baled hay.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2014 :  11:57:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, ladies! It is hard work, but it's honest work and we love it. Our neighbor also told us since he is going to be working a lot with a row crop farmer, we'll probably get more of his acres to do. We still need to get a mower/conditioner, but we have all winter to find a good one.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3099 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3099 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2014 :  12:11:23 PM  Show Profile
Congrats! If I lived closer I'd come work for you for some of that hay :) We don't have nearly enough for all our cows.

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2014 :  12:22:53 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, it is kinda far. Too bad - we're probably going to need some help next summer!

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  04:08:29 AM  Show Profile
Way to go.

I am looking for equipment at this time. My hay man has given me two years of half @$$ service and I have cows to feed so I need to harvest as much as my land will grow. He only wants to cut it once and only when he gets around to it. And this year "HE" decided to not cut one entire field and left the edges about 10 ft wide against the fence un-cut in all the others. I have had it.....I am looking to do my own and do it right. I should have twice as much hay going into winter then I do. I guess he is hoping I buy hay from him this winter. Urggggggg.
Congratulations....do a good job.....be honest.....and it will grow into a great business.

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2014 :  12:16:09 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Lora! What a wonderful gift from your grandfather!

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2014 :  5:02:28 PM  Show Profile
You'll have fun! I like tedding and raking, but it can be tricky raking. Also, you'll want to keep your fields fertilized and you will have to occasionally plow and reseed when production goes down. On a good year, you could get as many as 300 standard square bales. Advice...pay attention to the weather! You can't make hay in the rain. Cut the acreage in sections that way if it does rain you don't lose your entire crop. Mow, dry, and ted 3 acres at a time. If you have to leave it on your trailer overnight, tarp it over. Early morning fog won't hurt it a bit. We get that in Maine a lot. It's the misty and drenching rain that will ruin a crop. But bear in mind that if a cutting gets rained on, you can still bale it and sell it for mulch for construction or landscaping as long as it's dried well before baling happens. Good luck.

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Officially in the Hay business Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page