melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2014 :  3:08:58 PM  Show Profile
I recently purchased some vintage drapes-4 huge panels online. The drapes were listed as "in excellent condition" but upon arrival I noticed several very large Yellowish-brownish stains on the linings. I went ahead and washed the panels, but the stains are still there. The drapes are cotton and I believe the lining is made from sheet material also cotton or cotton percale. I sure hate to rip those linings out because that is why I bought lined drapes for my front room as it gets pretty nippy in there and I thought this would help curb the draftiness.

Any suggestions about removing those stains? It almost looks like "sun" stains" Is there such a thing? I'm afraid to use anything too strong for fear of fading the drapes themselves and I hate like heck to have to rip out those linings but putting them up as is isn't an option because this portion is seen from the outside window that faces a pretty busy sidewalk and it just looks like heck!

Melody

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2014 :  9:34:58 PM  Show Profile
I would have the lining replaced. It is not difficult for any sewer. Research the different types of lining fabric so you can get what you want. For example, flannel will insulate and a metallic fabric will reflect heat. There are also linings which will block out sun light.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Vintage Drapes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page