Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Is Home Ec a dying (dead?) course?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Is Home Ec a dying (dead?) course? Next Topic  

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  6:36:56 PM  Show Profile
Question: Is Home Economics still being taught in school?

When I was in high school (age disclosure time : 36), Home Ec was an elective, but still taught every year - one semester of sewing, one semester of cooking. When I graduated college, I asked for and my parents bought me a sewing machine. After more than a decade of working & managing numerous young twenty somethings, I noticed a trend of young women who are clueless about what I call "the domestic arts." I once had to sew a button on a young lady's blouse when it popped off, she had no idea how. Others live on fast food out of necessity. Other than knitting's recent resurgence in popularity, they wouldn't be caught dead in clothes they made, even if they knew how to sew.

I don't have children & most of my relatives'/friends' kids are under 12, so I have no personal references. I'm just curious to know if Home Ec has gone the way of slide rulers, or if some school districts still offer electives that don't require tryouts.

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  6:45:49 PM  Show Profile
Home Ec is now referred to as Family and Consumer Sciences. It is a requirement in Arkansas Schools for grades 8-12. We have a great FCS department at our school. There even participate in a national organization called FCCLA. You can view the national webpage at http://www.fcclainc.org/.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  7:08:56 PM  Show Profile
As far as I know it is still being taught electively in many schools but the enthusiasm is by all counts pretty darn lame. there just isn't enough time to really teach much of anything to kids who would prefer shopping in the mall for their clothes than experiencing the satisfaction of making their own. I have high hopes, however, that we'll see some kind of artsy breath of fresh air in this domain..It needs to be artistic and hip. Time to throw out the old curriculum and start something brand new. I think it is a very exciting time but we'll see!!
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  7:29:53 PM  Show Profile
Home Ec is alive and well here as an elective. My son has a friend who is taking it and they are cooking right now. The class has a good amount of boys too! I know that sewing your own clothes is becoming a lost art ( who even learns tailoring anymore?) but I wouldn't be so quick to say that kids don't want to learn, they just have little or no first hand experience. My generation (age 46) thought we could do everything and then some but the reality is I hear women my age always saying they just have no time to bake, cook , sew, etc...I think it is a matter of what is important to you and what you have grown up with. This summer I helped 3 HS girls make their own peasant skirts and they wore them...proudly! I am working on them to learn to knit, but I do have them embroidering right now. Baby steps, but progress! A friend's husband is always surprised that we both cook, sew and garden. He once said "I never knew women like the two of you, my sister's wouldn't have a clue how to do half of this". Well, we grew up with it and liked doing it despite the fact that we are college educated and have/had "professional" careers! I think a renaissance is in order!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  8:02:29 PM  Show Profile
When I was in highschool we had an amazing Home Ec. department with all the latest equipment. All new kitchens & sewing areas. Everything was taken out and sold at auction about ten years ago. H.E. is sadly no longer offered in our community.
Believe it or not, I can remember being the only girl in my class who knew how to make dish water or fold a fitted bedsheet! I was teacher's pet! LOL
My H.E. teacher is my neighbor these days! How fun is that!? She was a wonderful, wonderful teacher. Of course I loved the subject matter. How sad that so many young women (& men) aren't offered these programs anymore. So happy to hear H.E. is alive in other communities!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  9:28:28 PM  Show Profile
Home Ec was offered at my junior high. I am 57. We made gingham aprons the first semester, red and yellow and orange. Now I see them all the time for sale on Ebay. The second semester we cooked and the boys shop class would come and eat what we made. That was always a fun day. Do they have shop anymore either? I remember guys really liking the woodworking and stuff, but then there were jocks who turned their noses up at that. Same with Home-Ec and some of the girls.

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  10:00:34 PM  Show Profile
it's being taught in our home education program at least.:0)

also..the neighbour boy who is in high school/public school had home ec class this year where they did sewing of simple things like a pair of shorts and hair scrunchies.

my nieces home ec class in South Florida were all given dolls to simulate real babies..they had to carry them around/take care of them for a week..some sort of program that teaches about teen pregnancy I guess...but that was part of their home ec course.

My daughter pretty much taught herself how to sew this year..we bought her a sewing machine for her birthday....I basically just told her to read her sewing manual gave her a few pointers here and there and told her to make sure that she kept the seams straight.. she took off with it from there...She makes her own blouses now, and makes dolls, tea towels, napkins,and has even made some dresses for her baby sister...just to name a few things.

We also have done a honey culinary course this year..where we focused on honey/uses of honey in cooking.
She now can make the most delicious rosemary honey scones.

For us..since we home educate..home economics as well as money management are both important lessons to learn...
that is why I have been encouraging my daughter alot this year ..to start her own online business with something that she enjoys, and teaching her skills that she can take with her.

When I was in middle school we had both cooking and sewing classes and the sewing classes also focused a little bit upon home interior decorating/room design/furniture placement.I remember the classes as being quite fun.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2006 :  10:11:43 PM  Show Profile
My 7th grade daughter will have a semester of home ec (not an elective either!) next semester. She is SO looking forward to it..I know she will already know most of what she is taught, since she is curious and has wanted to learn how to cook, sew, knit and all..I am glad they will still have it. I am not sure beyond 7th grade how much it is taught here. THey still had it as an elective when my oldest boys were in high school in Calif (central coast) but they are almost 29 and 26 now so I am not sure about now.
They had wonderful required home ec classes with I was in jr. high and electives ( I took all the home ec classes) when I was in high school (I am gulp 48)

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  04:33:39 AM  Show Profile
I'm 51, and I still remember my Home Ec experience with anger and frustration.

When I was growing up, my mom sewed beautifully and cooked everything from scratch. And I learned how to cook well, and to do the basics of sewing. I remember well being told one day at school that we were going to make toast. We were going to use the broiler instead of a toaster, which suited me fine. This anal teacher insisted that we use a broiler pan and toast one side, then the other, then butter it and place it on a plate for her inspection. Me, I guess I was a bit of either a rebel or an innovator. I took my pan and lined it first with a sheet of foil (saves dishes) and then toasted the first side. I removed it, buttered the second side and then put it under the broiler. I told the teacher (proudly, I might add) that it gave extra crunch to do it that way. She flunked me! She flunked me because I didn't follow her precise directions. I remember being thirteen and LIVID--- it was a piece of freaking TOAST, made the way I like to consume it.

I suppose it comes as no surprise that I also flunked hot chocolate.

As a consequence, I didn't like Home Ec, I didn't like their rigid rules or stifling of creativity or expression in the kitchen. I never took any more of it.

In those days, only girls could take Home Ec and only boys could take Shop. I would have been much better off in Shop, playing with the power tools. I never learned how to run a power saw until I was married. It was much better by the time my daughter went to school. I urged her to take the Shop, where she'd get exposed to tools that we didn't have, like the giant jig saws and band saws. But after that, I wanted her to stick with academic subjects because they gave more weight for a college prep track, and the learning how to make stinking TOAST could happen at home.

Not that I'm still bitter....
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  04:55:29 AM  Show Profile
At our school the kids take Home Ec (yes, it has that funky name here, too, which I don't remember). For a semester in 6th grade they study the community then get around to cooking; and for a semester in 7th grade they study color/design then do sewing. If a student isn't in band or chorus in 8th grade they take it again, but I don't know what they do.
Our current home ec teacher is a wonderful woman from PA, who has lived all her life what she teaches. Unfortunately, many of the children our cruel to her because they think home ec is dumb. My son is in 7th grade this year and wants to sew, but they haven't gotten to it yet.
I don't know what the state regs are, but I have a feeling the administration would do away with the class all together if the could. That is part of the reason I became a 4H leader, to show kids that it is important and fun to cook and create things on your own. I was suprised by the number of children that were actually interested.
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  06:36:21 AM  Show Profile
I'm 30, My junior high had home ec and shop. I liked how they did it though. When you chose one you had to take the other. Half the semester was home ec and the other half woodshop. So I learned a bit of both. In home ec we learned to sew and to cook. 7th grade was texas hash and a purse. 8th grade was fruit cups, and desserts, and pillows. I knew all the kitchen stuff pretty much by then, but enjoyed the sewing, and really enjoyed woodshop-made a mail box, puzzels, and a three tiered shelf!

Since they made you do both when you chose one, we had a equal amount of boys and girls in both home ec and woodshop! Which I thought was really good. No matter what you choose to do in life, the basic skills of basic cooking and sewing can be used by both boys and girls. IE a man's suit jacket often has lose buttons, if he could quickly do that between business meetings instead of losing a button it would be good! lol And less expensive. Used to dry cleaning included tightening of buttons, last time we went they charged 50 cent a button!!!!!!!! I told my husband no more! lol haha Used to that was just included in the dry cleaning so I thought why not. But, not at 50 cents a button with 3 buttons on each sleeve and 4 or 5 down the front! CRAZY! lol But, just goes to show even men need a little skill at it. And then every one needs to eat! lol haha Look at this fast food weight epidemic we are having here. And sad to say hardly any one I know here in NYC my age can cook with exception to my husband and I. And I think that's sad! Especially when I talk to them and they don't even have interest in it, since apparently Mc D's fills all their needs. ICK! I would get tired of that fast!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  07:24:44 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Horseyrider

I'm 51, and I still remember my Home Ec experience with anger and frustration.

In those days, only girls could take Home Ec and only boys could take Shop. I would have been much better off in Shop, playing with the power tools. I never learned how to run a power saw until I was married.

I'm 50 and I'm right there with you. By the time my younger sisters graduated girls were allowed to take shop and boys could take home ec. It sure was a different world then! In my chemistry class (tenth grade) I had to sit in the back because I was a girl. The senile old man teaching said right out that he didn't want to look up the girls' miniskirts, and it wasn't important for us to learn chemistry anyway. Funny, the basketball team all wanted me to help them with their homework, and it wasn't because I was a cute cheerleader! That old man taught physics (eleventh grade) too so I dropped out of science after chemistry....

My daughters took "LIVING SKILLS" (that is what they call home ec now so the boys don't get a complex about it being a girl thing) and Shop both...

I'm not bitter either

P.S. In those days only girls could be in FHA and only boys in FFA. I saw a segment on US Farm report not too long ago that FFA is now open to girls and boys, and as someone mentioned FHA has seemingly morphed into FCCLA and I think is also open to boys. "Family, career, and community leaders of America"

Personally, I think this change is healthy.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Nov 12 2006 07:34:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  11:09:53 AM  Show Profile
When I was in high school (in the 60's) it was called Home Ec and a required class for one year -- the others were electives. We also had a chapter of Future Homemakers of America -- bet that one isn't around anymore. No matter what they call it I'm glad it's still offered. I took 3 years and loved every minute of it.

Handmade purses and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Visit my blog! http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  5:26:14 PM  Show Profile
I think there are still Home Ec. classes taught in the high schools and jr. highs around here, and I am so glad. I remember when I took them - I took both - a year of home ec. (cooking and sewing) and a year of wood shop - and it was really helpful. It also didn't hurt any that the teachers were good at what they did.

On the other hand, my home ec. class didn't really teach me anything about "running" a home or the economics of a household. We mostly learned how to make an omelet and cake and sew a skirt, as well as use clamps and a basic lathe.

Oh, how I wish I had access to a "graduate-level" farm economics class that would teach me what I need to know about the basics of handling a REAL household and farm. For now, it's live and learn, and ask, ask, ask!......

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  8:15:52 PM  Show Profile
After reading through these posts I realize even more how great my teacher was! We did sew & bake, but we also learned nutrition & meal planning, child care-with REAL babies, and we organized a mothers tea with a fashion show. Our sewing wasn't confined to an apron or wrap skirt either. We made entire outfits to model at our tea! My freshman year I made a denim dress with a coordinated blouse. Junior year, I made harem pants and a lined asian inspired jacket! Our senior year we designed our dream home, complete with floorplan, furnishings, and prices. Our project was all tied together in a scrapbook at the end of the year. I remember making homemade mayonnaise and salad dressings too! Didn't even realize you COULD do those things at the time! :) And these are just the things I remember!

I also remember the time someone stole from the teacher's purse. She explained to the class that she knew the person who took her money must have really needed it. Also that there had been a small religious medal in the bottom of her change purse that had great sentimental value to her. She asked only that it be returned, "no questions asked". It showed up on her desk later that day.
Another time, when I came in to sew during my free time, I remember overhearing her talking with a classmate about the girl's family problems. She was offering to pay for something the girl needed. I learned a lot of things from Mrs. Bailey, not all of them were about homekeeping. :)
Rhonda

Edited by - abbasgurl on Nov 12 2006 8:23:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  05:03:27 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda, I would have enjoyed your teacher. She sounds like a gem. But that teacher still could have been my mother, because while mom was at home making salad dressings (I still have many of her recipes) and mayo (take the center out of the blender lid and drizzle in the oil) at home, I was stuck at school making stupid toast. TOAST. The Original No Brainer. *rolls eyes*

Yeah, I should've been in your class.

Edited by - Horseyrider on Nov 13 2006 05:04:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  10:35:53 AM  Show Profile
Mary Ann,

You are a hoot!! I have to agree with you - that teacher did seem rather anal. I had a great teacher in H.S. (okay I'm 50 too) and she was the teacher that made tea for us if we had cramps and always tried to help kids that came from bad circumstances. She was such a great (but very strict) woman. I took a whole year as a senior. We did cooking and sewing, but then I also took another of her classes (I had all my requirements to graduate done early) that had guys in it and we worked on things like meal planning, budgeting and child rearing. I loved that woman!!

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2006 :  12:26:05 PM  Show Profile
I remember being so excited to take my Home Ec course my freshman year of high school (1987).
We quickly found out that our teacher was not so interested in teaching the domestic arts to us. Most of my class time was spent on Sex Ed. Needless to say, I was disapointed. My mother had already spent time teaching me about sex. She worked and did not do much sewing, knitting baking etc. I was ready to learn about those wonderful things from a class at school.

Here's a crazy one for you. My husbands father would not let his daughter take Home Ec in H.S. He thought it a waste of time and he wanted her focus to be on her "career".
Interesting how people think isn't it?

Lindy
http://sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com

Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  02:58:40 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately,that is how many girls are brought up today. I have come across many preteen/teen girls that are taught that being a good homemaker is valueless. I feel that even if one pursues a career outside the home, being a good homemaker is PRICELESS!
Bonnie

...she is far more precious than jewels and her value is far above rubies or pearls.
Prov 31:10
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  04:52:47 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie, it's funny how that often goes. They spend their teen years thinking that only store bought is cool, and then yearn for the traditional skills as young women. Personally, I think it goes hand in hand with growth, dropping the superficiality often found in our culture, and searching for more self expression.

When my daughter was young, she was going to be a careerwoman. Fine, I thought; but learn to cook and sew on a button, and to run the washing machine. When asked if she liked children, she'd laugh and say Yes, they taste like chicken. But now that she's married and a mother, she's extremely devoted. She homeschools her boys, cooks from scratch, and taught herself to knit and crochet beautiful things. She manages the money and pays the bills, and even recently took a part time job teaching knitting at a local craft store, and still teaches soapmaking at her public library.

It's funny how they change when they mature. Trouble is, not all of them mature.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  05:04:55 AM  Show Profile
Oh how I love you all... Rhonda, your Home Ec. teacher was unusual. Michele, yours was the PITS! I remember making a wool dress in Home Ec. (I'm 53) and cookies.... and an embroidered pillow. My grandmother taught me sewing, beginning with a dress when I was seven. My mother had a very difficult pregnancy when I was five, and taught me then how to cook breakfast. At thirteen, I cooked all the meals for our family (not something my mother wanted to do, and she worked 3-11 shift as a nurse). Right now, half my friends have lived on fast food, have blood pressure issues and some have diabetes. They never learned to cook or even to eat healthy food--and don't want to change. Our society needs desperately to re-think its priorities. We need to get back to basics.

When Martha Stewart Living was on our local station, I taped it so I could have my home-ec classes every day. I got teased a lot. At least she made a headway into society's view of domestic arts.
XO,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.

Edited by - Phils Ann on Nov 14 2006 05:13:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  05:06:45 AM  Show Profile
As a side note on "Shop", we have the walnut colonial bed my FIL made in shop class during the depression. My brothers are in awe.

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2006 :  05:08:35 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Horseyrider

They spend their teen years thinking that only store bought is cool,

LOL When I got my embroidery machine the first question my (then) 17-year-old daughter asked was could I embroider a Tommy logo on her stuff?

I got the opportunity to explain copyrights and such to her, and explain why we can't do that. What a kick!

Then I find young girls like the ones here (warning: one of the pictures is a little "revealing" - don't look if you will be offended) http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro_intro.htm who are protesting sweatshops through copying the logos of corporate clothing into protest wear.... They've crocheted a 25-foot "swoosh" blanket, for example...

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  1:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Like Heather, boys and girls in my school took both Home Ec and Shop class. Actually Shop class was called "Woodworking" and I always thought it was so appropriate that my Woodworking teacher's name was Mr. Woods. My sister made a wooden chest which my mom still uses in her basement.
I remember learning how to make cinnamon buns, and the first time I ever tried Orange Pekoe Tea was in my 7th grade Home Ec class (to drink with cinnamon buns, of course!) We also did an experiment in Grade 9 Home Ec...did you know that if you try different flavours of Jello blindfolded, they all taste the same? I also stitched a hoodie sweatshirt and learned the proper way to hand wash dishes (crystal first, pots and pans last)
Once you reached Grade 10, the focus of Home Ec class switched away from food and sewing and onto "Family Studies" which didn't interest me, so I didn't continue to take the class. But I'm so happy that I took it in the early years, I love being domestic in my own home.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2006 :  7:53:15 PM  Show Profile
Wow Ann! Your FIL made a bed in woodshop!? I'm in awe myself! How cool that you have it still! I have a cutting board, shaped like a pig, from my gram...one of my uncles made it in shop class. Not quite the same! LOL

And Brenda...your daughter asked you to put the Tommy logo on all her clothes! What a riot!

Alison, I'm off to buy every jello flavor I can find! LOL My boys will love this!

Rhonda

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Is Home Ec a dying (dead?) course? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page