melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2014 :  6:21:45 PM  Show Profile
Curious to know how many weavers we have out there in Farmgirl-land!

I'd love to hear from you...When you began weaving-Who taught you and what do you create?

Photos would be awesome-

Melody
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2014 :  6:47:31 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Melody,
Good to "see" you! Hope all is well with you!!!

I do know that farmgirl "weaverchic" is a weaver. If you find her in member search you could send her an email. . . I'll bet she can be helpful!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2014 :  10:55:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melody :)

Sorry I'm not a weaver but wanted to say hi and that we miss you!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2014 :  7:22:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melody,
sorry to say but my weaving takes a backseat to knitting. But I am still interested.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

mountain mama
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Marilyn
Divide Co
168 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  10:23:42 AM  Show Profile
Hello Melody,

I weave on a 1949 4 shaft floor loom. Not really good at it but slowly improving. I have made 20 hand towels some face cloths and 2 table runners. I found this loom in a garage. It was covered with dust and most of the heddles where missing. Bought it brought it home cleaned it up bought some heddles and learned to weave mostly from books. Still learning but enjoying it a lot. Next project a rug.

Marilyn
Farmgirl #408
Stress relief: play in the dirt. go on a road trip, talk to a farmgirl.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2014 :  1:44:16 PM  Show Profile
Was it difficult to learn? I am so overwhelmed by the many steps involved. I haven't a clue as to how to warp-I do have a couple of books that I ordered but they might as well be written in Greek! Do you have any advice about weaving? Any books that you would recommend something along the line of "Weaving for Dummies?" LOL! And what's up with warping frames? Is there a particular STANDARD size I should get? I purchased my Union#36 Rag Rug Loom (2 harness) at a garage sale for $25.00 and just finished restoring the beast (my term of endearment for my loom!) Any help from seasoned weavers would be so GREATLY appreciated....Help!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2014 :  08:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
Melody, don't stress it is a lot of steps, the book you got with your loom, show how to do it, does your loom have a metal piece with 24 holes in it... read in your book how to string it has to be done in just that order or won't feed off right start wrapping the sections, my rugs are 27inches wide so I start warping on the 3rd section in, and each section on my loom has a screw so I tie my wrap in a overhanded knot and slip on over it, I put 100 turns on mine. Back to the mental piece it slide along the back of loom to each section... I have to get ready for work but I will send you more later, u can do this just don't stress it will be okay, it isn't as hard as it looks! Sorry if this is kinda jumbled up but I am trying to hurry!!

Roxanna Farmgirl# 3963
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2014 :  10:44:49 AM  Show Profile
No I don't have one of those "thingys" I saw one on an identical loom and wondered what the heck was that? I can have my husband fashion one similar-I made sure and saved photos of the one I saw. I found an online site that walks you thru warping so I will reference with that as well. Thank goodness for the INTERNET! And, I just ordered another book thru Amazon last night called Weaving Rag Rugs by Tom Knisley that hopefully will help as well. I really really want to do this-have wanted to for a very long time-I will try not to stress! Thanks Roxanna for all the help-you are a sweetie!!

Melody
Go to Top of Page

mountain mama
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Marilyn
Divide Co
168 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2014 :  12:11:46 PM  Show Profile
Melody,
I took a class but most of the women there already knew how to weave. Didn't get much out of it. I got a book "Learning to Weave" by Deborah Chandler in it she shows how to warp from the back or from the front. You can make a warping board I was lucky in the garage with the loom was a warping wheel which I love. I watched a lot of demos on u-tube about warping I don't know if they will help you. Warping takes time and patience personally I hate it but the end product is well worth it. Hang in there you can do this.

Marilyn
Farmgirl #408
Stress relief: play in the dirt. go on a road trip, talk to a farmgirl.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2014 :  4:43:58 PM  Show Profile
I am a want to be weaver. I do have an inkle loom my husband made. I really like weaving on that. I would like to get a table top loom next to make some bigger items. I would like to weave a table runner or placemats. I did watch u tube to use the inkle loom.

just a girl farming in WI

Michele
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  12:45:33 PM  Show Profile
Finally!

I am "sleying" the reed this afternoon after weeks of prepping. I'm just about cross-eyed, but I'm on my way....

Have to get some canvas for the "apron" portion of the loom-long since gone by the wayside-It wasn't there when I bought the loom so there's that, but gals-I am well on my way to begin weaving my very first rug.

I feel like dancing...

Melody
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Weavers? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page