True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  10:57:42 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

'Just wanted to share with all of you who have beloved welders, pipefitters and plumbers in your life - and, of course, the rest of you girls, too! - as to how to remove pipe dope chunks and smears from your washer.

I almost had a nervous breakdown trying to clean pipe dope from my relatively new washer today. After 45 minutes of scrubbing (AND getting pinched several times in unmentionable places, I might add! MOST unpleasant!!!) nothing worked - not rubbing, not using a plastic scraper, not using a nail brush, not even using rubbing alcohol (the usual remedy for removal)... I called my husband to see what else I might use, but he had no idea and assured me he'd figure it out when he got home. I asked him if bleach would cause any chemical reaction with the pipe dope - would it cause it to permanently adhere or cause it to become caustic? He didn't know. I hung up the phone and went right over to my shelf of cleaning remedies. I honestly didn't think baking soda would work, and I surely didn't want to use scratch cleanser... nail polish remover crossed my mind, but I really, REALLY didn't want to do that, either. Finally, I pulled down the Oxyclean, made it into a light paste and within seconds the pipe dope was removed by rubbing lightly with a soft cloth! Amazing! All that struggle was for naught! I simply rinsed and wiped it away and am now washing the machine with bleach... Hopefully I will never have to deal with THAT mess again, but if I do, at least I know what works best! And yay! Now YOU do, too! ;)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  07:53:13 AM  Show Profile
That Oxyclean does wonders!
Thanks for the tip.

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2014 :  7:49:52 PM  Show Profile
Nini, you described that experience so well, I could almost see you scrubbing away. I'm so glad you figured it out.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Pipe Dope in the Washer Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page