Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Container Rose in Intensive Care
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Container Rose in Intensive Care Next Topic  

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6939 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6939 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  05:09:42 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday morning when I watered my container yellow rose was okay. When I checked my deck plants in the evening grasshoppers had eaten all but a few of its leaves. I moved it to the little greenhouse at the back of carport. Hopefully it will get enough filtered sunlight through the big oak's branches.

I am out of hydrogen peroxide but will get some by the time to water rose again. Any other help on how to care for a plant that has lost most of its leaves will be appreciated.

Hydrogen peroxide added to water will help to get air to the plant's roots. The recipe I have is 1/4 c of H.P. to 1 gal water.

We're not to the plague stage of grasshoppers but there are enough of them to do damage. I've been in Paris for 3 years and this year is the worst I have seen them.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  06:08:23 AM  Show Profile
That sounds scary! Thankfully our grasshoppers aren't so hungry here in IL. I would baby your rose along and slowly add a wee bit of fertilizer to it to help it recover. I love yellow roses and hope yours will survive the grasshopper attack!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6939 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6939 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  06:17:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Dawn, I don't baby many plants these days. They either make it or they don't but I have a few special plants that I pamper.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3938 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3938 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2014 :  08:55:30 AM  Show Profile
My mom always buried fish guts, heads, fins, scales, etc. beneath and around her roses. They were always really healthy. Fish emulsion formula may help.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6939 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6939 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2014 :  04:41:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Marie for the heads up on using fish emulsion. That maybe just the tonic it needs.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  04:42:18 AM  Show Profile
Ack! We don't have grasshoppers, but we have Japanese beetles! We usually get them late June/early July. By mid-July they are done. Had another Farmsister call me about this yesterday. She lives further North from me, but seems the whole state is getting a "second wave" of the nasty bugs this year, and the first wave was awful, worst I've ever seen.

Good luck with your rose.

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6939 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6939 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2014 :  04:52:28 AM  Show Profile
Nicole, thanks thinking about my rose. Checked the other day and it is hanging in there. Hope it recoups enough during the fall to survive the winter. Too big of pot to winter over inside so it will just have stay where it is until next spring.

Seems like some years are just the right combination of rain & temperature to make all the nasty bugs multiply by the hundreds.

Sara
Walk in Peace - Live with Joy
FarmGirl Sister #6034 Aug 25, 2014
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2014 :  9:11:39 PM  Show Profile
Sara, I know of no reason to use hydrogen peroxide on a rose bush. It won't "get air to the plant's roots," and even if it did, that's not something you want to do. Air is the enemy of plant roots, which is one reason we tamp down soil around the roots and water thoroughly when transplanting or potting a plant -- to force air pockets out and replace them with beneficial damp soil.

Since your present pot is now poisoned with the hydrogen peroxide, get rid of that soil and thoroughly clean out the pot. At this point, it would be good to fund a more sunny location. Roses need good strong sunshine all day to thrive.

If I were you, I would prune the bush pretty severely and replant it in the clean pot using fresh, sterile potting soil, making sure the roots are spread out and well covered in soil. Water a little as you go, gradually filling the pot up to just over where the roots begin. Be sure not to bury the "bud union" -- the knobby part just above the roots. (If there is no such thing, the bush is on its "own roots". Just bury the plant a little bit over where the roots end and the canes start and you'll be fine. You'll want to leave about a inch between the surface of the new soil and the top of the pot. That will give you space to add mulch later.

* If you're not sure where to prune, post a clear picture of the bush and I'll mark it for you to show where to cut.

Since you are in Zone 7b, it is not too late in the year to add a good 10-10-10 fertilizer, like Mills Magic Mix. Overwinter your potted rose with mulch on the soil, then evergreen branches, piled-up leaves -- whatever you can find -- around the pot and the bush to create a protective cocoon to prevent freezing. Your little greenhouse would be great. Remove these things gradually as the weather begins to turn warmer in spring. Definitely fertilize in spring, too, starting around mid-April, with the Mills, followed later in the year by some fish emulsion fertilizer (Neptune's is good), or the brand that used to be called Peter's Professional. The son of the original owner runs the same company now, same product, but it's called Pete's Professional or something like that now. Same thing, and very good. If you don't want to get into a big fertilizer production and have to buy a lot of stuff, Osmocote is great. Just work it into the soil in spring and maybe late summer (like this time next year), and that should work.

Good luck!

Edited to add: Yellow roses are more subject to Black Spot than other species and can be difficult to grow well because of that. You might want to investigate organic anti-fungal sprays. Be sure to remove any leaves showing signs of black spot -- put them in bags for the trash and really get them off your property! Keep your bush properly pruned so that air will circulate through it (here's where air *is* a good thing!) That will help prevent the Black Spot a bit. Don't be discouraged. Roses love care!

Edited by - Rosemary on Aug 29 2014 9:44:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6939 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6939 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2014 :  01:24:11 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary, great info. I will print it out and put it in container rose's folder. I make a folder for all my plants to keep all info related to them.

Haven't seen a grasshopper in several days so I think it is safe to move the rose back to it's place on the deck. Don't know if it's the end of the grasshoppers life cycle or if they have just moved on. Either way they are out of my yard.

Sara
Go to Top of Page

mrssarahhall
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Sarah
Longmont Colorado
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2014 :  10:38:55 AM  Show Profile
I was having issues with pests on my roses and started putting coffee grounds at the base of the plant every other week... the issues have since stopped. No idea if this works for grasshoppers or not, but it might be worth a shot!

Sarah
Farmgirl # 5223

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

All good things are wild and free- Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6939 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6939 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2014 :  11:38:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sarah, I know drink coffee anymore - I wonder if tea leaves would work?

Sara
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Container Rose in Intensive Care Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page