texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2014 :  05:17:11 AM  Show Profile
So, y'all know how much I love to garden! This spring, DH helped me put in a new, larger veggie plot. It's been a banner year here! Eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, kale, potatoes, carrots, cukes...all was doing well but this one cucumber plant. Or so I thought. It is covered in round, short, yellowish fruit. I thought it was sick. Almost pulled it out. Then it dawned on me - I forgot I bought some heirloom Lemon Cucumber seeds this year. That's what they are! The cucumbers look like tennis balls. We ate one last night and they are so mild and delicious! Glad I didn't pull the plant up!

Have you ever planted "mystery plants" before?

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2014 :  08:48:50 AM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
I love lemon cukes! Boy have I done the mystery plant thing before too, always a fun surprize when I forget planting something fun. Funny, thst forgetting thing seems to happen more each year. Haha
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3938 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3938 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2014 :  09:26:42 AM  Show Profile
My dog Mitzi loves cucumbers so much that she stole one from the neighbour's yard last year. I planted mine late so I am not certain that she will be able to get any from my garden.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2014 :  10:31:35 AM  Show Profile
I have never eaten a lemon cucumber before. I must admit I am intrigued! I'll be checking those out for sure!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2014 :  2:01:01 PM  Show Profile
Nicole...I love Lemon Cucumbers...they look funny but taste amazingly good. Like you said...very mild.
Glad that you didn't pull them out.

I have a couple mysterious plant stories. One was the first year I grew Eight Ball Zucchini. I thought
it was just a different Name for them and boy was I shocked when I discovered Round Zucchini growing in
my garden. I thought they were GMO Plants and was Mad at first! LOL They tasted good just couldn't not
wrap my head around "ROUND" Zucchini.

Another year I walked out my back door and saw a Huge Thistle growing in my flower bed (it must have been
5 ft. tall) and I thought to myself "Man I wish my garden did as good as my Weeds do" and I went and got
my shovel and dug up the thistle and threw it away. About a Week later it dawned on me that a friend last
Fall had given me a Jerusalem Artichoke Start and I knew I would have no room in my little garden spot for
it...so, I had planted it quickly in my flower bed and then obviously forgot about it. Yup, I had dug up
my rather impressive looking Artichoke mistaking it for a Thistle. LOL

Thanks for sharing girls,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2014 :  06:27:17 AM  Show Profile
Marie, funny about your pup! We used to have a mischevious cocker spaniel who loved tomatoes. He would go through the grocery bags and pull them out and eat them if I wasn't careful to put the tomatoes up first, and yep, would break into the garden and eat them all off the vines!

Peggy, oh no! I have done that same thing myself, with other plants that friends have given me. Sadly. I even keep a garden journal, but sometimes I just get overzealous about weeding! Thanks for sharing your story, made me smile.

Meanwhile, my lemon cucumber is producing tons of yummy cucumbers! So glad I realized what was going on before it was too late!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

texdane

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2014 :  06:27:47 AM  Show Profile
PS Peggy...I am chuckling at your motto! Love it!

Farmgirl Sister #1155

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  07:58:16 AM  Show Profile
LOL! Ooooh my gosh - too funny! Been there, done that! This year our big issue is, "What the heck kind of squash IS that?" Between the pig poo we planted and seeds in the compost, almost all of our squash have inter-bred. They look like guords and yet taste like squash - or a combo of squash and melon! We affectionately call those "squelon." They're the sweetest, tastiest things ever!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Funny cucumber story Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page