Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 My First Encounter With Urban Quail
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My First Encounter With Urban Quail Next Topic  

GypsyChar
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Chardale
Titusville FL
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2014 :  08:46:56 AM  Show Profile  Send GypsyChar a Yahoo! Message
I'm visiting my son in metro Colorado who has gone rogue with a tiny urban barnyard. Last week he butchered quail - Eeek - which I then cooked. He and I like them but they weren't popular with anyone else. While I've been here his little gal quail started producing their first eggs!! Thank you little gals:) He boiled them last night for dinner and they tasted great - just like tiny chicken eggs actually. He boiled them for 4 minutes at high altitude and they were still a little soft in the yoke.

They're very noisy! They call 24 hrs a day and the males are pretty rough on each other.

As I said they're rogue in that city code is against urban livestock. My son also has veggies potted nicely in the front yard in addition to his straw bale garden in the back. It's lovely to see my offspring learning sustenance skills and living out some of the values that I have too.

Right now hubs and I are in transition from Florida back to the mountain west. Health drama led to this decision but it sure is nice to be back in the mountains and getting lots of grandbaby hugs. I had to leave my FL gardening efforts but they went to avid gardeners so I know they weren't wasted. We came to FL in a 34 foot motor home named The Beast and a Prius and left in a '93 Nissan pickup named Stanley and a '93 popup trailer named Gracie. Yep our health and financial circumstances made a major shift there. I look forward to our next stop which will be in Wyoming to see my farmgirl sister Sherone_13. I can't wait to hug her neck and see her farm girl efforts!

Peace be with you and all that jazz.....

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

7006 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
7006 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2014 :  09:14:00 AM  Show Profile
Chardale, I enjoyed reading about your son going rogue. I would rather live next door to quail than some dogs or cats I've come across. I find vegetables as pretty as flowers in the landscape. It's all in how you do either.

Enjoy your move back home.

Hugs, Sara
Walk in Peace.
Live with Joy.
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2014 :  10:13:42 AM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
How fun! I have button quail and agree- my little male is loud! There sure sound bigger than they are.
Go to Top of Page

mrssarahhall
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Sarah
Longmont Colorado
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2014 :  09:57:12 AM  Show Profile
He doesn't happen to live in Longmont CO, does he?

I ask because there was quite a commotion the other day in my neighborhood and when I investigated, it was around a quail taking a stroll down our street. I thought it was really cool, but figured someone was probably missing that quail!

Sarah
Farmgirl # 5223

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone." - Audrey Hepburn

All good things are wild and free- Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My First Encounter With Urban Quail Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page