Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 okay , dairy goats ........
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic okay , dairy goats ........ Next Topic  

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2014 :  3:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
I posted about needed a new farm dog and was curious if any one had any experience with an irish wolfhound /Pyrenees mix,,,,,but honestly I also have beenthinking about adding a few dairly goats....any thoughts on that matter that you could share with me.....
thanks,
frannie from texas

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2014 :  06:26:06 AM  Show Profile
I have two Toggenberg dairy goats. I got them knowing nothing about goats. That was about 7 years ago.
The lady I got them from had been in goats for many years and so I saw her monthly and had a million
questions which she gladly answered. So having someone you know and can go to for questions is
important. I am lucky my goats are very healthy...I don't know if that's my fault or the breeders fault or if
Toggenbergs are just naturally healthy. I got them so that I could have my own fresh source of milk...and
I do. So to have milk they need to be bred and have babies, so then that means 4 goats ( at least for a
while). I love my goat milk. They have to be milked daily or the milk supply dwindles down. I get a half
gallon between the two and find that plenty for me for two days. The day in between, the milk goes to the
chickens and dogs, or I give it to a friend for her cats/ kittens. They are fed with pellets( something called
sweet feed- it has pellets and corn and molasses, perhaps some minerals) and in the summer they are on
grass/weed pasture ( sometimes I stake them out in the yard but only when I'm home). In the winter they
get hay. And they get mineral/salt block to lick. their hooves need to be trimmed. I think I do that too often!
but oh well. They are actually quite easy to care for, mine are healthy and I've never had to call a vet, not
even during birthing...I think I'm lucky. But as far as the breed goes they are friendly, almost affectionate,and
give lovely tastey milk. Occassionally they need to be wormed.
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2014 :  3:51:03 PM  Show Profile
I have a herd of Nubians. Build good fences first and have good latches on gates! They do find their way out easy. They do have to be milked. 12 hours apart is best if milking twice a day. The more you milk the more they make. I am only milking once in the mornings due to work schedule right now. I get 6 plus gallons right now and most goes to the doe kids we kept. So milk is not at it's highest production. I feed alfalfa pellets, and hay. Minerals free choice along with soda. On the milkstand they get grain, (I mix 12% high fat, BOSS, beet pulp, and oats). I have never used any sweet feed as I was told it upsets their rumen. I also have mine tested for CAE and CL yearly. Copper bolus them every 6 months too. Every so often I do milk tests to make sure they stay healthy and no signs of mastitis so the milk is at it's best. I make chevre (soft cheese), yogurt and soap with the milk.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

auntjenny
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Jenny
San Luis Obispo CA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2014 :  7:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Send auntjenny a Yahoo! Message
I loved my dairygoat years. My favorites were the Saanens, but I also had Oberhasli and Nigerian dwarf goatts. Saanens are big and sturdy, have creamy great tasting milk and they are calm, people loving goats. If I ever got goats again for milking I would no doubt choose them again.
Go to Top of Page

cms123168
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Chris
Boulder Creek CA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2014 :  6:22:55 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by auntjenny

I loved my dairygoat years. My favorites were the Saanens, but I also had Oberhasli and Nigerian dwarf goatts. Saanens are big and sturdy, have creamy great tasting milk and they are calm, people loving goats. If I ever got goats again for milking I would no doubt choose them again.

Go to Top of Page

cms123168
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Chris
Boulder Creek CA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2014 :  6:37:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by auntjenny

Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2014 :  06:21:55 AM  Show Profile
You will love dairy goats, Fran. Once you have them trained to hop up onto the stand and you get your rhythm in milking, you will find it so enjoyable.

I sing and talk to my girls while I milk them. I have one that loves snuggling while she's milked....she likes my shoulder and head to be nestled up against her side. Yep, I smell like a goat afterward.

I've had up to 30 dairy goats at one time of all different varieties. The dwarf breeds are an excellent combination of lower feed cost because of their size and yet put out almost the same amount of milk as a larger breed. I guess my favorite is Nubian. Their long droopy ears frame their slender faces and they have such velvet looking eyes. Very sweet dispositions. I've reduced my herd to 4 Nubians.

My livestock guardian dog, LGD, is a 1/2 Pyrenees/Anatolian mix. She is fantastic with all the farm animals. Her and the goats hang out the most. But, she sometimes follows the chickens around.

Everything I researched before I got her advised about letting the dog bond and imprint with the animals and also advised against trying to make it a family dog that plays fetch and does tricks. I followed all the advice. My relationship with her is so different than with my other dogs. My other dogs want so desperately to have my attention and need reinforcement from me. My LGD , while happy to see me when I walk up, does not seek affirmation from me. She's almost indifferent. Kinda hurts my feelings, lol. But, the trade off is that she is so bonded and in tune with the farm animals.

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic okay , dairy goats ........ Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page