Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Baby birds and blackberries Next Topic  

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2014 :  7:14:39 PM  Show Profile
The neighbor boy mowed my yard today (I'm still looking for the right lawn mower)and as I walked through the backyard I saw...a ripe blackberry! The first one of the season. It was slightly tart but still good. Then I heard little cheeps coming from the bluebird nestbox on the pole. (I made it years ago but have never seen any bluebirds--they tend to live more in the country than in town). I got a little closer and one of the adult birds flew out and landed on the fence. Probably a sparrow. I was surprised there were birds nesting in it. I checked it earlier this summer and it was empty. I hope the neighbors' cats don't find out. It was a mild evening, the sun was a rosy pink color as it went down. Peace,
Cindy

"Come by the hills to the land where fancy is free; And stand where the peaks meet the sky and the rocks reach the sea.Where the rivers run clear and the bracken is gold in the sun. and cares of tomorrow must wait till this day is done"--Loreena McKennit
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2014 :  8:02:31 PM  Show Profile
English Sparrows are hideously invasive, aggressive, nonnative birds. They are the enemies of Bluebirds. If you want to make your Bluebird box safe for Bluebirds, there are little things you can do to discourage the Sparrows. My husband worked on ours and we now have Bluebird families in two houses. They're so beautiful. There are lots of sites online with tips on how to keep Sparrows out of Bluebird boxes. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Baby birds and blackberries Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page