gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  06:19:19 AM  Show Profile
I know I should have come here first but sometimes my brain is not with me. I have had a rash for 4 months. I have been on 2 courses of steroids and still have no relief. I am about to scratch my skin off. Any ideas for the itch?
Things I have tried.
1. Vinegar
2. witch hazel
3. tea tree oil
4. oatmeal bath
5. olive oil
6. coconut oil
7. and every kind of over the counter itch cream even preparation H

Anybody have an idea?

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  07:02:34 AM  Show Profile
Baking Soda. You can soak in it in a bathtub or mix it into a paste with water. Worked great when I had chicken pox .
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  08:16:07 AM  Show Profile
Can we get a little more information? For example - are you pregnant? Is it hives? Is it an allergic reaction? Poison? Is it raised?

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  8:58:49 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried lavender essential oil for the itch? I would try 2-4 drops in a teaspoon of witch hazel or coconut oil. Apply as needed.
Have you switched soaps or detergents? Could it be something in your diet? It sounds like you've already seen a doctor, but I'm wondering if maybe you should consider seeing an allergist? Please let us know how you're doing!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  8:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried lavender essential oil for the itch? I would try 2-4 drops in a teaspoon of witch hazel or coconut oil. Apply as needed.
Have you switched soaps or detergents? Could it be something in your diet? It sounds like you've already seen a doctor, but I'm wondering if maybe you should consider seeing an allergist? Please let us know how you're doing!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

- Dalai Lama

April is Autism Awareness month. Autism affects 1 in 88 children (1 in 54 boys, including my son). Go to http://www.autismspeaks.org/ to learn more and help Light It Up Blue on April 2nd!

Go to Top of Page

sjmjgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

566 Posts

Stephanie
Mt. Vernon Iowa
USA
566 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  9:05:02 PM  Show Profile
Geez, crazy computer! Don't how it posted twice! Sorry!

Farmgirl Sister # 3810

- Dalai Lama

Edited by - sjmjgirl on Jul 14 2014 9:05:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  1:22:07 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried switching soaps? Dr. Bronner's has a good unscented bar (I think it's the one that's labeled for babies) anyway the label is pale blue. Switching to unscented laundry detergent might also help.

Baking soda in the bath water is also soothing, lavender essential oil is good too add too.

There's always trying an antihistamine like reactine or aerius if all else fails (though your dr. probably suggested antihistamine).

Farmgirl Sister #3759

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"

"The things that matter most are not really things after all"
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2014 :  07:08:18 AM  Show Profile
Sorry I have been gone and haven't been able to get on a computer. so here goes No NOT pregnant at 60 thank goodness,
Never had hives so wouldn't know Nothing has changed to become allergic too. Raised bumps and patchy round raised areas. I do no I am allergic to Lavender so that is out. My diet is the same nothing new maybe more water it so hot. Antihistamines don't seem to even get near it. Dr's allergist and general have no idea. I am in seven kinds of misery.

Thanks I will try the backing soda paste.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3950 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2014 :  09:15:57 AM  Show Profile
Try laying some slices of cucumber on the area if you can. I find this very soothing. Maybe grind some up and combining it with coconut oil or coco butter or something like that would provide some relief.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2014 :  10:10:10 AM  Show Profile
Ginger and peppermint teas are general antihistamines (they act by preventing the release of the histamines). Chamomile tea and green tea are also beneficial.
Soaking in a warm oatmeal bath may help.
Applying cold packs to the area may help relieve itching.
Basil poultices can also help if it is hives.
Aloe is also very soothing and cooling, helping relieve itching.

This may sound like an odd question, but are you stressed? I had a seriously bad case of hives when my hubby was deployed and I was staying with his parents due to suppose to being on bed rest (I was also pregnant). They lasted around 2 months, from head to toe (literally!!!!) I tried EVERYTHING! and finally they went away.

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2014 :  4:23:19 PM  Show Profile
I am afraid it is stress. It has been crazy around here. Aloe is my next try. Ginger tea sounds so good I will try that also.
Thnaks

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

csmartyonline
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Carole
Clarksville TN
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2014 :  08:26:05 AM  Show Profile
I am using aloe vera gel on a stubborn rash my husband has had and it is working. Also using colloidal silver.
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  03:07:39 AM  Show Profile
I got a rash and discovered it was because I was allergic to latex and oats, and also salicylic acid (aspirin products). So if Latex could be a possibility be sure not to use coconut oil, eat kiwi, bananas, or avocados. And of course, many skin lotions and soaps contain oats. Numerous foods and products contain salicylic acid so you would have to do research. I had to stop wearing bras around the house as the shoulder straps would cause itching and rash like crazy. I now use 100% jojoba oil from Trader Joes and my skin is so much better. My daughter is allergic to aloe and tea tree. Crazy! Best to you.
Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2014 :  06:52:23 AM  Show Profile
Might be time for some blood work. Liver function issues can cause itching.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Estle Schipp Farm: Celebrate the Hobby Farm Lifestyle

EstleSchippFarm.blogspot.com

https://youngliving.org/starschipp

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2014 :  10:44:09 AM  Show Profile
Diana - You're right, it might be stress. But also there are autoimmune diseases that cause inexplicable rashes that never seem to go away. I have had a "traveling" rash on my back for years, and NOTHING has helped (no creams, lotions, medicines... nothing) other than washing with Balneol cleansing wash (behind the counter at the pharmacy). The doctor recommended it and it worked IMMEDIATELY. However, it is very expensive, so I don't use it often. Maybe you could give it a try and see if that works? In any event, next time you see your physician, ask him about the possibility of it being related to an autoimmune disease. Your doctor can discuss any symptoms you have and consider testing, if necessary. I'm sure you're fine, but the rash could be a symptom of something more serious that hasn't yet been considered. Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  10:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I had hives/rashes on and off with no known cause. Now I know I have Hashimoto's disease (an autoimmune disease from thyroid dysfunction). It has cleared up with getting rid of gluten.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

http://mrsroosterbooks.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2014 :  3:54:18 PM  Show Profile
I think you are right about the Gluten. And I am going to have some blood work done too.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic RASH! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page