Printer Friendly
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Portable BBQ business Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  5:57:23 PM  Show Profile
I have lived in the same town for over 50 years. Our town is struggling just like all the other very small towns. We are all trying to brainstorm and come up with ways to create new businesses or attract industry. I think we are too small for industry to look at us. But, we do have young people wanting to raise their children here because we have a low crime rate, kids can ride bikes anywhere, and we have long standing extended families that live in this community. There are two highway that cross and the best chance to entice the locals and visitors passing through. There is a young mom who is thinking about a portable kiosk type BBQ business on the corner of these highways. No experience, but tons of energy and ambition. Can anyone tell me where to help her look for info on codes, laws, tips, ideas, etc. to start something like this? I would like to help her because I have lived here my whole life, my son's family lives here, and my grandkids go to school here. I want our little town to survive and it seems mom and pop businesses do better here than anything else. Please give me some ideas to share.

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  7:21:25 PM  Show Profile
Your county planning office should be able to help with the codes, laws and whatnot. You might even find this on their website, assuming they maintain one. The town itself may have ordinances that would affect such a business. then, of course, your state's Department of Transportation would have some say.

Energy and ambition are a wonderful asset, but having no experience in the food service industry is asking for trouble even under perfect conditions in a "hot market." Your friend needs to get ongoing advice from a restaurant pro before going any further.

Edited by - Rosemary on Jul 13 2014 7:22:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  11:50:47 AM  Show Profile
Her grandmother owned a Dairy Queen sort of business and this gal worked this all of her teen years. So she does have some sense of what goes on. I told her to hook up with our Small Business Development Center and get help with business plan,etc.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2014 :  12:04:25 PM  Show Profile
Good idea! Of course, franchises are very different -- the supplies come from only one source and there's no negotiation involved. The process of creating a business plan will be really helpful :)
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Portable BBQ business Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page