queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  06:13:00 AM  Show Profile
If you're like me who hasn't started making homemade laundry soap yet and in need of a measuring scoop for adding laundry additives (me borax) to your laundry, take your liquid laundry soap bottle cap and find out how much it hold by using a measuring cup to add water to the cap. I'm currently using arm and hammer soap. The green cap hold a half cup.no need to buy a special measuring scoop for laundry additives.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  12:42:26 PM  Show Profile
I never bothered to get a special cup or pan or anything. I checked into it with alot of places and they all said that it wasn't needed. You're using the items to mix and measure cleaners that aren't any more toxic than the standard dish washing liquids that you will be using to clean them off with. I see it as cleaners will just make it a cleaner utensil! I do keep anything wooden out of the mix and keep things that come into contact with lye seperate as they sometimes will burn tender fingers when washed if it containes too much cleaner. My kids have very sensitive skin.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  12:44:41 PM  Show Profile
On a funny side note, I have used the same wooden dowel rod to stir my laundry soap up before usin for years. The poor thing is now twisted in a slight curly cue! In the direction I always stir! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2014 :  06:49:03 AM  Show Profile
I use Purex crystals as fabric softener in my homemade laundry soap, and the bottle they come in has a little cap with measuring lines. The middle line is 2 tablespoons, which is how much soap I add to our loads. So I mix up my soap in a 5 gallon bucket, and then scoop some into the now empty Purex bottle and use its cap as an easy way to measure it out. My mom got a few coffee scoops from the thrift store that she uses for hers.

Farmgirl Sister #4915

Edited by - Madinet85 on Jul 17 2014 06:50:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2014 :  4:51:27 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I just looked up Purex Crystals because I'd never heard of that product. Sounds nice! If you ever wanted to save money on that, you can apparently get the same effect from plain old epsom salts @ about $1.00 for a huge box and maybe add some essential oil. I'm going to try that, even though I use wool dryer balls for fabric softening. They work pretty well, but I'm all for progress! Thanks for mentioning this :)

Like your mom, I use a little coffee scoop, which I keep right in the big glass "cookie far" that holds my homemade soap. They're cute!

Edited by - Rosemary on Jul 21 2014 4:53:02 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic laundry measuring cup Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page