texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2014 :  7:27:17 PM  Show Profile
Living in Connecticut, we get a huge amount of Japanese beetles in our area each year. This has to be one of the worst years ever! I have found that in bad years, the best thing is the beetle bag trap. However, I learned a big lesson this week. We caught literally hundreds of beetles in said trap. I did not get a chance to change out the bag as recommended. All of a sudden, I noticed a bunch of flies in the yard, and in the house. Eeewwww. Many flies. All on my windows, kind of like that horror movie (if you've seen it, you know which one I am referring to). To make a long story short, when tons of beetles go in the bag and die, they start to smell. Like a nasty, roadkill kind of smell. Thus the flies. So, I went to the hardware store today, bought replacement bags, and put out the fresh ones, throwing away the dead, insect carcass filled ones. SO GROSS. Flies are gone. Completely. So, if you buy the traps, make sure you get replacement bags because they do work, but when the traps start to smell, the beetles won't go near it.

Yucky topic, I know.

Farmgirl hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2014 :  07:22:08 AM  Show Profile
Nicole,
Thanks for some great info! Japanese beetles are so bad this year for me in Eastern PA. I wanted to get the traps, but heard that once they are in the garden, you are attracting more beetles that wouldn't have come in the first place!
I guess I need to choose the lesser of the 2 evils, huh?
Thanks again - getting traps this afternoon!
---L
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Japanese beetles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page