Southern Farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Alice
Inman SC
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  3:45:55 PM  Show Profile
July 4th is a wonderful day to celebrate our Country's independence and freedoms, but this holiday is always difficult for our donkeys and horses. Our few close neighbors have animals too, so they celebrate with sparklers with their children or grandchildren. Others don't realize or care how loud booms and big bursts of lights frighten equine, goats, dogs - and they celebrate until the wee hours of the morning. I hope those continuing to celebrate tonight run out of fireworks early. Do you have this problem too?

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3950 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2014 :  5:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Yes, my poor little dog did not want to go out for her evening walk because of all the fireworks going off in the neighborhood. We didn't even try to take her out at sunset because that's when everything was going off at once. Even at midnight, I tried to get her to go out in the backyard but she still refused. She held what she had until this morning. I don't like watching fireworks. I like watching the expressions of others watching them.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2014 :  05:38:33 AM  Show Profile
Fireworks are tough on animals, my dogs are not affected much by storms, thankfully!!
But last night I think they had had enough and would whine a lot during the "neighbors" party.
When they started lighting them off again about 3:00 this morning (Sunday)I had had enough!!!
I get up early and this morning was no different, 4:30 the dogs and I were out on our walk, I sooo wanted to go beat on the neighbors house and wake the bunch up now that things are quiet over there.--Bad me, pay backs are not right.

I can't imagine what the wildlife go thru, not to mention livestock during a month of this junk.

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3950 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3950 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2014 :  07:45:27 AM  Show Profile
Mitzi won't go out our front door for her walk. It might take a week to get her back on schedule.

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2014 :  10:02:29 AM  Show Profile
Stampeding, crashing into the sides of the barn and fences, charging the gate at milking time, shivering on the milk stands due to the fireworks going off all around was not a fun thing to deal with on the 4th. Luckily none were hurt. Horses were spooked too. Beautiful fireworks but terrifying for the animals.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2014 :  08:43:19 AM  Show Profile
Chickens don't lay well for a couple of days, goats hide and dance on the milk stand the next morning, nothing comes out of the barn once the noise starts. Our farm dog, LeaLou wanted in the house on the 4th, 5th, and 6th because of the fireworks. She doesn't like being in the house but is terrified of the noise. Of course, the idiots behind us, were firing those things off again, Sunday evening until about 10 pm. I used to love fireworks when I was younger, now it is just a nuisance noise and people that don't understand when to stop. Sometimes I wish they would ban the sale of fireworks to individuals, but why punish all the law abiding citizens for the idiots.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Madinet85
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Elizabeth
Indiana
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2014 :  10:09:27 AM  Show Profile
Fireworks should be like trick or treating, the town picks a night and you only do it that night. The fireworks wouldn't have been so bad if they had only been one night, I can make provisions for the animals so they aren't so frightened, but three nights in a row is too much!

Farmgirl Sister #4915
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Fireworks and Animals Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page