Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Ratsafratsa! A Rat In My Garden!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Ratsafratsa! A Rat In My Garden! Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  1:11:03 PM  Show Profile
Okay, girls... What do I do?

This morning I was out inspecting the foliage in my vegetable garden, and I noticed that some of the lettuce had been eaten as well as some of my broccoli leaves. I knew it had to be a bird or an animal, because I've never seen anything in my garden damaged like this. I went over to the fence area to check out the kohlrabi and a HUGE brown rat darted from out of nowhere, up under the chicken wire and under my neighbor's fence. You'd be proud. I didn't let out a blood-curdling scream, I didn't jump, I didn't even move or make a sound. And he was NUCLEAR sized (well, at least he SEEMED to be! LOL!). I really surprised myself as to how calm I remained. You all have had such a good effect on me - thank you! ;)

Upon closer inspection, it looks like the dang thing dug under the chicken wire to get into my garden. The chicken wire hangs from the bottom of our neighbor's fence and is dug into the dirt - we did this to keep out the rabbits and moles, but I had no idea that there were rats! Eghads! I went over and placed some heavy bricks in some of the "loose" areas where the chicken wire has either been pried up from under the dirt or is bulging, but I know that this little guy is smarter than that. What should I do? How do I get rid of him? And what do I need to be concerned about? I mean... I am imagining fleas, the bubonic plague, black death, and contracting other diseases from eating food that he has passed over (they don't have bladder control... I wash my food well, but geez!). I hate mice, but rats absolutely freak me out (thanks to a neighbor kid who read the book, "The Rats" to us while riding the school bus when I was in second grade!). And, I am quite certain that, as the saying goes, where there is one, there are many! Oh my WORD!!! Whoa is me! I'm not going to be able to SLEEP let alone eat my produce! Please help!!!

<sigh> Such is life... I'm sure I'll be more calm once I become more pro-active to make him leave. Really, any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Jun 11 2014 1:53:16 PM

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  2:46:58 PM  Show Profile
my dogs will catch them, as well as my barn cats, you can also use traps (live traps as well as kill traps), they will eat anything as well as baby chicks, ducklings etc, as well as tiny kittens, baby rabbits etc, and yes they carry diseases, and if you have one, there are a huge amount that you don't see, they will chew wireing, insulation and will chew thru metal feed barrels, they can climb anything, and will use the electrical wires between poles as a highway...get together with neighbors to fight them, cause other wise its a loseing battle...good luck

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  3:06:21 PM  Show Profile
Waaaahhh!!! Thank you, Tina! I will see what we can do! You're right, we need to tackle it together. We used to have a big neighborhood cat that all of us were happy about, but he disappeared over the winter. I'm crazy allergic to cats, but I'm still seriously considering getting one. Our doggie is so old that she doesn't see or hear much at all anymore. If she did, she'd be having a ball with this - you're absolutely right! :) I hate killing anything, but I really REALLY don't want rats in my house or yard. If the neighbors aren't on board, I may have to call in an exterminator. Rats really REALLY freak me out. Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  3:56:22 PM  Show Profile
I blame the Pittsburgh Steelers
HAHA

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  4:21:51 PM  Show Profile
Oooooohhh..... That's harsh, Lisa.... That's really harsh! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  4:29:58 PM  Show Profile
You know I'm kidding friend, but I couldn't resist

"We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.” – R.R.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  4:33:05 PM  Show Profile
Yes you could have!!!! LOL!!! You COULD have!!!

This just in: I beat the rat to death with one of our MANY Superbowl trophies!

Love you, buddie!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jun 11 2014 4:35:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  6:11:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh, well in that case, I'm sure the rat is named Carson Palmer, and he probably only has 2 legs, and will likely eat a few bits of lettuce and move on.
But wait! Wasn't the most famous rat of all name Ben????
Seriously though, we have found these to be the most helpful.
http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Guard-NG-001-Predator-Control/dp/B0014FGT8C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402535165&sr=8-3&keywords=predator+control
We have a few at each garden, and a few at the chicken coop. I had an issue with all of my Swiss Chard being chewed off; we re-positioned one of these, and it is now growing like gangbusters. They have a multi pack too. We used to see a bunch of racoons, and don't anymore.. Worth a try.
I often kid that I have spent several hundred for soil, fencing, etc etc etc for 3 tomatoes a year!!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2014 :  7:15:17 PM  Show Profile
LOL!!! I must humbly acquiesce... You KNOW my thoughts on THAT one! ;)

The Night Guard looks pretty cool! Thanks, Lisa! We did try a sound device in our detached garage over the winter which was supposed to deter animals (such as the rabbits), but it didn't work at all. The warm weather came, and suddenly it smelled like a bit of a barn. I shudder to think about what my hubby found out there. Anyhow, I was wondering if something like that might help... But the lights should freak the little bugger(s) out. You should've seen him bolt when he saw ME! ('Wonder if it would work on the "vermin" downtown, too? LOL!)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2014 :  7:49:17 PM  Show Profile
My husband puts rat poison out in his garages. I am opposed to poison of any kind, as an organic gardener, but I kind of "look the other way" when it comes to rat poison.

They are awful.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com http://brightmeadowknits.blogspot.com

http://www.ravelry.com/people/Brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2014 :  9:41:20 PM  Show Profile
Ugh! I don't mind seeing rats in pet stores but not outside! I hope it isn't one of those Norway rats--I've heard scary things about them. My cousin had a packrat in a porch room on the back of her house and she put out rat poison. No more rat. I would call in an exterminator. I don't know how to keep them from coming back. I get shivers down my spine thinking about it.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2014 :  7:02:09 PM  Show Profile
Weeellll... My husband is trying to convince me it's a mole. He's delusional. My neighbor wants me to believe it's a groundhog, but I saw what I saw and reviewed pics online today and it's not a groundhog - it's a brown rat. My neighbor's daughter laughs and says that she moved here from the next town over, not only to help care for her dad, but because one day she walked out of her house to find a big sewer rat sunbathing on the roof of her garage. She then proceeded to tell me that this grandiose city of ours has been infested with rats for years, and that the best thing to do is get a cat. I'd love to get a cat, but I'm so seriously allergic. Maybe shots and meds would be worth it, though. I really can't have this! I just can't! Oh, the nightmares! The willies! I'm going to call an exterminator for some advice and then proceed accordingly. Whatever it is out there, it dug back down under the chicken wire, moving the heaviest brick over on its side. <<<shivers>>> You could see the scratch marks and everything.

Wah!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2014 :  2:19:16 PM  Show Profile
Weeeellllll.... I was right! (Sadly.) My husband just came in a little while ago and confirmed it: it's a brown rat. Our dog chased it out of the antique lilac and it ran across the yard, past my hubby who was hanging clothes (yep!), and up under the neighbor's fence. Did I get an apology? Noooooo... Our conversation went like this:

Him (shocked): "Well, it just ran past me and up under the neighbor's fence. The dog chased it out of the lilacs. Looks like it's a brown rat."

Me (gloating): "So I was rrrr....???"

He (wincing): "Right. Okay. Right. You were right."

Me (giggling): "And you were rrrr....???"

He (giggling harder and looking off into the distance): "I was... I was... I was NOT right."

("Wrong" is not an adjective that he ever applies to himself! Perish the thought!)

He's on his way to the hardware store to see what they recommend.

Why is it that they always seem to question us and our sanity? Oy yoy yoy! Drive me nuts! I'm just really glad our dear old girl is okay and wasn't bitten or anything. I can't believe she actually saw it and chased it! She was probably just on my side, wanting Daddy to believe me and to protect us!

I pray to GOD that there aren't more. My hubby went out and looked around and couldn't find any evidence, but we all know how that goes!

Wish us luck!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Jun 14 2014 2:20:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2014 :  2:52:50 PM  Show Profile
All joking aside, that is just plain scary! Knock on wood, I have NEVER seen a rat, nor do I want to!! I would get a beebee gun or stronger and try to scare it off. Yuck!!!!
We have a big trap that we use for raccoons and similar varmints by the chicken coop ( but we haven't had to lately cause of the Night Guards).
Could you try to bait him with one of those??
I am putting off my vist to Nini's until this is under control HAHA!
You would here a blood curdling scream for sure!

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2014 :  5:18:33 PM  Show Profile
He trapped it, Lisa. Got it in less than 45 minutes. Broad daylight. (Ewww!) Only it was a gray rat. I swear the one I saw was brown. He thought so, too. He reset it, but nothing since. Let's pray... Let's just pray, pray, pray...

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2014 :  5:42:22 PM  Show Profile
There's always this.
http://www.free-gourmet-recipes.com/rats-recipes.html

I know, I know....

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2014 :  6:03:33 PM  Show Profile
LOL!!! OMGosh, LISA!!! I thought you were my FRIEND!!!! LOL!!!! Well... during the apocalypse, I guess we can rest assured that at least there will always be meat! LOL!!! A few cloves of garlic, a nice red sauce, a little homemade Chianti - MWAH!!! LOL!

Hmmm... I wonder how canned rat would be.... Nope... Couldn't do it... LOL!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2014 :  6:20:00 PM  Show Profile
I kind of threw up in my mouth a little bit when I read those..

Oh & I guess, don't forget the fava beans

Edited by - nubidane on Jun 14 2014 6:20:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2014 :  8:40:58 PM  Show Profile
LOL! I thought of that just after I posted!!!

On a happy note, still nothing else caught... Maybe it's a good sign! Let's hope so! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  1:10:33 PM  Show Profile
I won't use rat poison because it will kill an owl or other predators that might change to catch and eat it. Have you talked to your neighbors about pooling your resource to hire a professional "rat eradicator"?
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2014 :  6:09:21 PM  Show Profile
So right, Virginia... SUCH a good point! We have a dog, so all I would need is for her to catch the dying rat and get sick and die herself from the poison in its system. That would be terrible!

Thankfully since my hubby trapped the rat, we haven't seen hide nor hair of anything else. Not sure why, but very glad for sure. My neighbor told us that it's probably from an abandoned house a couple of houses over. The owner hasn't done anything to it in years, and our neighbor has been fighting the city to do something about it for just about as long. My husband said the owner had a massive, debilitating stroke a few years back, therefore is completely unable to do anything about it. Crazy situation, long story. Unfortunately, the neighbors fear that there are MANY wild animals inhabiting the house. Just not sure when the city would consider the situation dire enough to do something about it, if at all. For now, I'm just thankful that the one we trapped was the only one we've seen. Having said that, though? I'm not stepping two feet deep into that garden... My husband can do that for me. He enjoys it anyway! Let's keep our fingers crossed that is all we'll have to deal with... I know that's not very realistic, but I sure would like to live the dream! ;)

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Ratsafratsa! A Rat In My Garden! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page