MrsTracy
True Blue Farmgirl

145 Posts

Tracy
Beaufort South Carolina
USA
145 Posts

Posted - May 31 2014 :  2:23:58 PM  Show Profile
Hey y'all. I've been missing for a while what with, kids, grandkids, life, etc While many things have kept me busy, I have been making time to read. Now here comes my confession.

I have always been an Anglophile, if its a story set in some rural hamlet of the UK I'm all on it and over it. I have an entire bookshelf devoted to books from the UK, mystery, chick lit, fantasy, classics and historical.

Earlier this week I went to the library and checked out an audio CD to listen to as I travel to work (I work at Barnes and Noble) I saw the title while at work and decided to give it ago when I ran across it at the library.

The book is called The Last Runaway Slave by Tracy Chavelier. I'll say this, its not on my list to reread but it did spark something in me.

The storyline is about a young Quaker woman who embarks on a new life with her sister. They leave England to come to America so the sister can marry a Friend who immigrated a few years ahead of her to set up a business, etc. Unfortunately the sister dies and the girl, Honor is left on her own. She can't travel back home because of the debilitating seasickness that kept her heaving for 30 days. So, she decides to go on to Ohio (where her sister's intended lived). She find herself the guest of a woman who runs a milliners shop. She also finds that this woman has a brother who is a slave catcher. The sister is part of the Underground Railroad. Interesting.

Anyway, what smacked me in the face was her (Honor) constant complaining about America. Everything was not only different but INFERIOR to England! Ugh...it made me I just never understand how people move to a new place and constantly complain about it. Stay where you are or adjust to it! I had an ex friend who moved from Michigan to South Carolina. All she did was compare and complain about South Carolina and yet, she wont move back to where everything is better

So, I'm driving around and thinking...I was doing this, not so much complaining about the US but not appreciating it. So what if we don't have rock formations like Stonehenge that date back to bc. So what if our buildings and homes started out from trees to lumber, to homes! I got thoroughly disgusted when she complained and compared the different types of birds. REALLY?!! Even the BIRDS are inferior because they are bold and sing loudly?!

Well, to get to the point, finally it made me realize that I really should spend more time in my own country. Not have my head all over the UK. I have decided to return the books I got from the library that were written by British writers and redirect my reading towards American writers. I do have two shelves filled with them!

I think I am going to start with some Colonial period books then hit the Revolution and the Civil War and Westward Expansion. I'm not really into a lot of the modern works unless I can find some cozy small town mysteries and such. I'm not a fan of stories taking place in cities. I'm a small town girl at heart and don't go in for all the sex and violence that are more prevalent in large cities (even though if I search I know I'd find the same thing in small, rural towns).

Anyway, Honey I'm Home!!! (in my Ricky Ricardo voice!).

Aspiring Titus II and Proverbs 31 Lady.

Lavender Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

1979 Posts

Brenda
Jackson MI
USA
1979 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2014 :  6:58:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tracy,

Maybe you would enjoy reading some of the Traveling Books. They are about people right here in the US and they tell of the hardships and good times people have gone through. You can sign up at any time. I have sent 4 books out for traveling. Would like to see how far and long they travel. Each reader puts their name and location on the inside cover. You don't need to put your entire address just the state or town and state if you like. A date of when you read the book would be nice.

Just a suggestion in case you or anyone else is interested.

Happy Reading,
Brenda

Each day we add to our legacy-good or bad. Our Daily Bread
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic The Last Runaway Slave Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page