Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 What Can I do to encourage Laying?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What Can I do to encourage Laying? Next Topic  

JuliaCatherine
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Julia
Dothan Alabama
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2014 :  2:13:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies, Hope you are having a blessed Sunday. We got baby chicks last November. They have everything I think they need. When would I expect to start getting eggs? Is there something I need to do to encourage that? I am giving them table scraps in addition to there chicken feed and the weeds all over the yard. :) thank you for your advice.

Julia

"You are where you are for such a time as this--not to make an impression- but to make a difference."
Ann Voskamp

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2014 :  2:37:47 PM  Show Profile
Watch for the combs to turn bright red, then you're close to POL (point of lay) with your pullets!

In general, to help with laying: Up the Light, Up the Protein, Up the box count :)

~Hen 4316~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana.
Starting a family and raising up a small ranch using natural resources.
www.mydoterra.com/thurman
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2014 :  9:32:36 PM  Show Profile
Some start laying after they are 5 complete months old...some take a little longer to get started. The first eggs are small and then become larger as time goes on. Occasionally the first egg has no shell, or just has a soft membrane around it. Be patient! You're going to have great eggs!
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2014 :  5:45:54 PM  Show Profile
Make sure the nests are also full of good bedding, like sawdust or shavings. They will check them out, sit in them for a day or two, then get down to it. They will also start "singing", making crooning noises.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Dapple Grey Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

725 Posts

Betty
Goodrich Texas
USA
725 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2014 :  5:50:25 PM  Show Profile
With all the overcast days and cold weather lately, we have been keeping a light on our girls.

~ Betty ~
Farmgirl Sister # 5589
Go to Top of Page

JuliaCatherine
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Julia
Dothan Alabama
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2014 :  5:38:07 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all your good advice Ladies! My boys went out this afternoon to check and there was one egg! Our first one, I am so excited. I will keep in mind what each of you have noted, thanks!

Julia

"You are where you are for such a time as this--not to make an impression- but to make a difference."
Ann Voskamp
Go to Top of Page

Red River Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

183 Posts

Nancy
Ardmore Oklahoma
USA
183 Posts

Posted - May 10 2014 :  10:02:17 AM  Show Profile
I am having problems with my chickens molting. They look awful. I am so thankful all my trees around their pen are full of leaves. Their backs are sunburned :( I had too many roosters with them so I gave away my extra's and kept one. I love to hear the crowing :) I have alot of work to do on my chicken yard. I want to free range them but the neighbors dogs get them. We also have coyotes bad here. I was told by an older chicken man I use to get chicken varietys from that if they slow down laying just throw some cayenne pepper on the ground for them. I always prayed I would'nt be hit by a torpeto egg from that. LOL

~Count your blessings instead of sheep~ (Bing Crosby) ~Nancy~
FARMGIRL #877
http://santabrigade.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What Can I do to encourage Laying? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page