Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Need easy and fast recipes for family coming
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need easy and fast recipes for family coming Next Topic  

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  04:19:51 AM  Show Profile
What are some of your favorite easy and fast meals you feed your family when they come to visit? My daughter and family are coming and I and tired of the same old things I usually fix. I need it fast and easy. Just had surgery and want something I can prepare ahead, freeze, or put in fridge so the work is done and I can take it easy while they are here. They will help me, but hate to spend all our time together cooking.

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  05:32:26 AM  Show Profile
Kem - we love pizza pasta! Basically, you take a 13 x 9 baking dish, add a layer of spaghetti sauce, then throw in a box of your favorite pasta (I like rotini or penne), and cover it with 1/2 cup of water (to help cook the pasta and avoid having it become gummy) and plenty more sauce - you don't even want to SEE the pasta under the sauce. Sprinkle some garlic and Italian seasoning on top, as well as a pinch of sugar... you can even add a light sprinkle of red crushed pepper, if you like! Then we top it with a thick layer of mozzarella and toppings of your choice - we like to add a thick layer of pepperoni so that you can't see the cheese, or pepperoni with onions, peppers and mushrooms. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for one hour and fifteen minutes (to make sure the pasta is cooked). You can remove the foil in the last 10 minutes if you'd like the toppings to crisp up a bit. We love making this when we have a big crowd show up unexpectedly, and it's a number one request of our son's friends when they stay over. It's delicious! Everyone loves it - kids and adults alike! I actually have increased or doubled the recipe and made it in a roasting pan when necessary, too, so if a 9 x 13 isn't enough, just adjust the pan size and quantity of ingredients accordingly.

A nice salad and garlic bread on the side makes the perfect accompaniment, if you like; but believe me, it's excellent served all by itself! :)

One really nice addition is to add some fresh or frozen chopped spinach on top of the sauce, just under the cheese. It adds an incredible flavor. Surprisingly, the boys actually request pizza pasta made with that, too... even one of our son's buddies who won't eat anything "green" absolutely loves it. It's the only green vegetable he'll eat, and only when it's made this way. He has sworn me not to tell his mother that he loves spinach cooked this way, though... He's afraid she'll make him eat it out of the can! LOL!

Well, hope this helps! Have a wonderful visit with your family!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Edited by - Ninibini on Mar 12 2014 05:35:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  06:12:39 AM  Show Profile
I think this is a winner. It is something my 15 year old granddaughter can help me make while she is here. And, of course any kind of food like this is right up her alley. Thanks Nini.
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  06:40:03 AM  Show Profile
Parmesan Encrusted Pork Chops - You will need 4 pork chops. I use the boneless thick cut. Mix 1 cup of mayo,1/2 teaspoon horseradish, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In the blender, place 4 slices of bread and dry blend them. This will create a nice soft bread crumb. Place the bread crumb in a cake pan and mix 1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese. Roll the chops in the mayo mixture, then coat with bread crumb mixture. Place the chops in a greased baking dish. Bake in 350 degree oven, uncovered for 45 minutes. Serve with veggies and a nice bread for a yummy, healthy meal.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog

www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

My Etsy

www.etsy.com/shop/annapearlsattic

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2014 :  8:43:25 PM  Show Profile
Yummy, another good lookin recipe to try. My grandkids love pork chops. Will have to see what I can pick up at the store to make this one happen.
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2014 :  4:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I tried the pizza pasta on the grandkids. You are right, they loved it. In fact they wanted to take the leftovers home with them. Hubby was happy, he does not like leftovers at all. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Go to Top of Page

newfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Janis
Baker WV
101 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2014 :  1:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Nini, Thank you! We really enjoyed this recipe. SOOO easy. quote]Originally posted by Ninibini

Kem - we love pizza pasta! Basically, you take a 13 x 9 baking dish, add a layer of spaghetti sauce, then throw in a box of your favorite pasta (I like rotini or penne), and cover it with 1/2 cup of water (to help cook the pasta and avoid having it become gummy) and plenty more sauce - you don't even want to SEE the pasta under the sauce. Sprinkle some garlic and Italian seasoning on top, as well as a pinch of sugar... you can even add a light sprinkle of red crushed pepper, if you like! Then we top it with a thick layer of mozzarella and toppings of your choice - we like to add a thick layer of pepperoni so that you can't see the cheese, or pepperoni with onions, peppers and mushrooms. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for one hour and fifteen minutes (to make sure the pasta is cooked). You can remove the foil in the last 10 minutes if you'd like the toppings to crisp up a bit. We love making this when we have a big crowd show up unexpectedly, and it's a number one request of our son's friends when they stay over. It's delicious! Everyone loves it - kids and adults alike! I actually have increased or doubled the recipe and made it in a roasting pan when necessary, too, so if a 9 x 13 isn't enough, just adjust the pan size and quantity of ingredients accordingly.

A nice salad and garlic bread on the side makes the perfect accompaniment, if you like; but believe me, it's excellent served all by itself! :)

One really nice addition is to add some fresh or frozen chopped spinach on top of the sauce, just under the cheese. It adds an incredible flavor. Surprisingly, the boys actually request pizza pasta made with that, too... even one of our son's buddies who won't eat anything "green" absolutely loves it. It's the only green vegetable he'll eat, and only when it's made this way. He has sworn me not to tell his mother that he loves spinach cooked this way, though... He's afraid she'll make him eat it out of the can! LOL!

Well, hope this helps! Have a wonderful visit with your family!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

[/quote]
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Need easy and fast recipes for family coming Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page