KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  12:37:29 PM  Show Profile
I know lots of you either sell at a farmer's market and/or maybe manage your local market. I am considering taking over as the market manager for our local market. Do any of you have any advice or questions I should be asking the current manager before I commit to anything of this sort? I do hesitate to do this as I am new to the state and the area, but at the same time I see it as a perfect opportunity to become even more a part of the community. I have been a vendor for one season at the summer market and am a vendor in my first season at our winter market.

What I do know: It is a paid position, albeit a small payment. It is a small market (around 15-20 vendors). As manager I would be the one setting dates, advertising, and collecting fees.

What I don't know: How much time it really entails. If the summer market manager also will run the winter market. Currently yes, but I don't know if that will continue as they are technically different markets. What politics are involved. What state regulations are regarding markets. And much more that I am sure I haven't thought of. Hence my asking here. Right now I feel like I don't even know enough to know what to ask.

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~

Farmgirl Sister #3214

http://lazymomgardener.wordpress.com/

http://littlehawkyarns.wordpress.com

www.etsy.com/shop/LittleHawkYarns

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  1:18:55 PM  Show Profile
Katrina, I'm sure lots of the farm girls will be able to help you on this. I only shop at farmer's markets, I have never worked for one. That being said, I see you already have a list there of excellent questions to ask. You need to be informed about days and hours for managing the market. Perhaps you need to work on days when the market isn't going? They should give you the regulations for farmer's markets in your state, county, and town (if applicable). Procedures for collecting fees from the vendors and what to do if they don't pay up or are late. Contacts at the local media for the farmers market and how you are to handle paying those fees.

I think you are coming up with great questions on your own already. Good luck on compiling a list and being well informed on what exactly the position requires of you.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  1:42:30 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Dawn! I hadn't even thought about the fee collection what ifs even if I know that is a part of it. For some odd reason that didn't click in my head. This is why I ask these things here. It always helps to have another perspective on things.

— Oscar Wilde~

Farmgirl Sister #3214

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3932 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3932 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  3:07:40 PM  Show Profile
I know someone who runs a successful market in Minneapolis. I will email the contact information.

This market has an ATM type system in which I give them my card and tell them how much I want to spend. They run the card and give me cash in the form of $5 tokens which I exchange with the merchants. They give change back in money and settle up with the organizer at the end. I can see this as an excellent way to insure the security of the money coming into the market.

Consider having a food or beverage truck at the market and a small seating area to eat. This area could be next to the band playing live music for tips. Make sure you let the musicians know that they have to be an accoustic act to play at the market. Do not have electronic instruments unless you have an adequate power supply and a large stage that will not distract and overwhelm the market with loud noise. Most musicians just want to play and maybe you could provide them with a meal while they are there. Hey! Bands play for beer so playing for a healthy meal is even better.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  06:35:08 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the contact information Marie. And thank you for the information on the token system. I've known markets to do that but always wondered how they settled up and actually got their money.

— Oscar Wilde~

Farmgirl Sister #3214

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3932 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3932 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2014 :  08:38:45 AM  Show Profile
This payment system also works well for people with an EBT card. What the market I am familiar with does is not charge the banking fee for the cash from EBT cards. All other debit and credit cards are charged the standard fee.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2014 :  10:06:31 AM  Show Profile
It is looking like I may take the position. I don't know if the previous manager has looked into taking the EBT cards or not. Right now we are such a small market I don't know if they think it would be worth it. I think it is something to look into though. I know for now I won't be trying to change things up too much. We have been having music in the form of bands and I'd like to maintain that but I don't know how many of the other activities I want to maintain. We'll see. Nothing is official as of yet by any means but I think this will be a good move. I enjoy working with people and I really want our community to have access to the local and organic foods that are available.

Thanks for the advice here. It is nice being able to draw from a wide variety of experiences.

— Oscar Wilde~

Farmgirl Sister #3214

Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  07:19:18 AM  Show Profile
Wow what a job that would be. Our farmers market has rules we must follow. For starters to begin in the market you have a trial of a month. Once completed the vendors can say weather they want you there or not.You must set up at 6am sharp and stay until the close of the market. You must be there each week weather you have something for sale or not. The cost per vendor is $15.00 a week. You must supply your own tables, chairs and canvas tops or sides. You must have the vendor set up for the full season, so if you can't be there get someone to take your booth. You must list what you are selling at your booth so as to there being a fair share of different items/produce. You are not to under
mark your prices, but rather be in comparison with other vendors. (eg eggs close to same price). Your products MUST be local.

This is a mid-week farmers market, the weekend one is a little different as many vendors are from outside our local area.
Hope this of help.

www.cherishedelegance.blogspot.ca

Edited by - lovingewe on Feb 11 2014 07:20:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  08:38:49 AM  Show Profile
Yep, our market has very similar rules and comparable fees. Higher for part-time vendors and less expensive for full-time vendors. We get to throw in that each tent has to have weights on each leg (I believe 50 pounds per) because of the winds we can get here. We are a little more lenient on the local status as we have a couple of vendors from around the 150-200 mile mark. We are a small area and need to draw from a larger base if possible. Really though I can only think of one vendor that is from that far away. Oops, kind of two. We don't tend to "jury" the vendors. It seems that the market customers do that for us. The community can be a tad picky and just do not frequent the vendors they don't care for. The ones they support have their hands full trying to keep up.

I'm getting excited/nervous as the time approaches for getting things lined out for the Summer season. I think the only really big worry will be vendor placement and fees at this point. Time will tell.

— Oscar Wilde~

Farmgirl Sister #3214

Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  12:25:24 PM  Show Profile
Katrina-this sounds exciting for you! i'll be watching for follow up postings as you go thru the season! good luck!!!

i'm considering becoming a vendor at our local flea mkt-but haven't made the move!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Farmer's Market Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page