New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic My garden... Next Topic  

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  07:15:25 AM  Show Profile
An azure blue sky overhead with fluffy tufts of white wisping by. The first real sense of solar warmth is settling on my shoulders as I gaze out into the newly green and flowering plane. A bluejay squawks some indignation from the perch of a pink dogwood in full bloom. A red cardinal perches in the white dogwood and wings over to the shelter of the dense fir. Wrens and finches are busy housekeeping in the shelter of their "hotels". Waves of cinnamon ferns rustle in the breeze. Maple tree helicopters flutter to the ground in constant syncopation. The bright pink Redbud says "Look at me!" The formal purples and blues of the bearded iris with all their ruffles and flourishes look ready for the prom. The fence row of spirea look as though a bride has hung her ruffly white petticoats in the afternoon sun. A touch of forsythia and daffodils linger with their sunny yellow. Clusters of mixed tulips sprinkle confetti throughout the yard. Peonies wave their dainty leaves and nod their ever expanding heads, soon to open their faces to the sun. The bleeding heart has finished it's bloom and stands delicate yet resilient, promising to return. Lilacs gracefully bow and curtsy like a favorite Aunt whose perfume you always loved because she wore it. Overhead the unmistakable "Scree..." of the peregrines as they do their eternal dance on endless air currents. Grandmother Maple and Grandfather Oak stand tall to cast long shadows at days end. Promises all around of what is to come, that which has yet to be.

My garden is ever changing yet constant in it's source of wonder and enjoyment. Eternal Spring! Thanks to everyone who shared their gardens when I was still buried in the snow . From one gardeners soul to all of yours... With love, Bramble

with a happy heart

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  08:31:09 AM  Show Profile
Bless you Bramble! I just had the loveliest of strolls in a special farmgirl's lovely garden place!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  08:31:39 AM  Show Profile
Bramble, What a poetic description of your garden! I was right there with you while reading it. Would love to see some pics, if you have any to post. Thank you for sharing!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  3:07:50 PM  Show Profile
You are welcome anytime! Glad you enjoyed the stroll in the back yard,it is a deep lot and I have divided the space into three function areas pertaining to sun exposure so it goes from sunny nearest the house to deep shade at the very back. I took you through the sitting area near the perrenial beds.
I have still not entered the age of digital camera land as dh(that would be dense husband this time!)did not take the bait when I was hinting at Christmas! One of these days... in the meantime I'll take some regular photos and put them on disc. I am not very savy on all this new technology but like to learn so I will try to post some images when I figure it out!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  3:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Bramble What a beautiful description of your garden--you should write professionally.

Now I will digress a bit and speak about birds and the beauty of nature. Has anyone been following the story of the white-billed woodpecker that was discovered in the Big Woods area of Arkansas? Ornithologists thought that this species had been extinct for about 50 years. This should give us all a little hope when we routinely hear such sad stories in the media.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 11 2005 :  5:13:55 PM  Show Profile
Connie-- I think I caught something on tv about this the other day. I had read an article a few years ago where some biologist had heard their "call" but couldn't actually sight them so they were unable to verify the claim that the species still existed. I remember some puffed up official (who probably wanted to develop the land ...) was absolutely certain that this species was extinct. I remember thinking at the time did I miss something? Is he an ornithologist or biologist as well as a self important bag of wind? Yeah! The naturalists win for a change! HOORAH!
You are very kind, glad you liked it.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 12 2005 :  09:46:08 AM  Show Profile
Connie - being a bird lover, I have been reading about the ivory billed woodpecker. We have a very similar woodpecker that is fairly common in our area of north Florida. It is really large and black and red topped. They always travel and live in pairs, so when you see one, you look for another. I love to hear them in the woods and know they are near, and they even venture into our yard. The first time I saw them I thought I was seeing an ivory billed and got so excited! But, no.....still it is exciting to see these large birds peck at a tree, and we leave our old tree trunks (we just have the dead branches trimmed from dying trees) in our yard to give them someplace to hunt for bugs, etc.

jpbluesky

O, cease to heed the glamour that blinds your foolish eyes,
Look upward to the glitter of stars in God's clear skies.

from God's Garden by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - May 13 2005 :  7:59:36 PM  Show Profile
Very nice description indeed - took a virtual walk through your garden, Bramble. I don't usually feed the birds due to problems with deer, squirrels, etc. but the last few weeks I put out a feeder with black oil sunflower seeds, and a thistle feeder. The squirrels can't get at these, though it's comical to see them trying. I have been rewarded with an overabundance of birds! Not only have I attracted (i.e. the seeds have) chickadees, bluejays, cardinals, but many goldfinches, which sing beautifully. I watch them come to the feeders from my kitchen window, they are a joy to see. We also have pileated woodpeckers around, red headed woodpeckers and flickers.

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic My garden... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page