Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 2014 Photo a Week Challenge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic 2014 Photo a Week Challenge Next Topic
Page: of 8

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  1:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Okay, girls lets try this again!

Starting January 1st, let's do the 52 week photo challenge. I know there are some girls who wanted in and we've had some confusion on the days to post.

So, here goes, let's go ahead and put the schedule out there for everyone and start over -

January 1st - Self Portrait (we can carry over the photos from the old thread, just let me know if you want me to)
January 8th - Winter (changed to reflect current season)
January 15th - Reflection
January 22st - Black and White
January 29th - Sky
February 5th - looking down
February 12th - Framed
February 19th - Repetition
February 26th - Warmth
March 5th - Liquid
March 12th - Path
March 19th - Close Up
March 26th - In Motion
April 2nd - Falling
April 9th - Country
April 16th - City
April 23rd - loud
April 30th - calm
May 7th - Edible
May 14th - colorful
May 21st - vintage
May 28th - modern
June 4th - Happiness
June 11th - Typography
June 18th - architecture
June 25th - relaxation
July 2nd - nature
July 9th - ethnic
July 16th - landscape
July 23rd - celebration
July 30th - wooden
August 6th - metal
August 13th - silhouette
August 20th - long exposure
August 27th - entrance
September 3rd - sun flare
September 10th - numbers
September 17th - transportation
September 24th - from a distance
October 1st - after dark
October 8th - shadow
October 15th - out of focus
October 22nd - texture
October 29th - eyes
November 5th - emotion
November 12th - Favorite Place
November 19th - people
November 26th - morning
December 3rd - time
December 10th - sign
December 17th - simplicity
December 24th - pure white

I think this will be much easier for everyone!

So good to be back home!!

Edited by - stefffic on Jan 01 2014 5:35:56 PM

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2013 :  1:54:04 PM  Show Profile

Here's my selfie, carried over from the other thread!

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3075 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3075 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  08:13:51 AM  Show Profile

Here's mine carried over as well. Can we change the autumn to winter? Autumn is long gone around my neck of the woods, but we're supposed to get 4-6 inches of snow tonight :o)

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2014 :  5:37:08 PM  Show Profile
Done and Done!

Another self portrait I did for my business page.

www.facebook.com/picturethisphotographyNC if anyone wants to like me or see other stuff. :)

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2014 :  11:22:30 AM  Show Profile

Here I am again.
Still covered up with a quilt and a bad cold......

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2014 :  9:50:00 PM  Show Profile
Hope you get to feeling better soon Sylvia!

I just bought a new DSLR, a Nikon D200. My 'old' camera is retiring to my backup and going to live with my mom. The D1X that I'm retiring is heavy, with the flash and lens it weighs over 4lbs! Thankfully the new camera is much lighter. Can't wait to get my new toy in the mail Monday!

My goal is to be full time in my photography business by the end of 2014.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2014 :  10:40:02 PM  Show Profile
My self portrait.

The flash kept burning out the image. I'm not liking this one so I guess more time needs to be spent on getting this done better.

Marie, Sister #5142

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2014 :  8:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Churunga,

What if you made a little diffuser to go over your flash out of some tissue or paper? That would possibly diffuse the flash enough not to cause glare.

Steph

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2014 :  8:35:52 PM  Show Profile
Terrific idea. Thank you.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2014 :  9:29:43 PM  Show Profile

This is what I'm working on tonight. These are from a recent maternity/family shoot with a friend's daughter and two sons. I'm playing with airbrushing the skin on these photos to 'fix' it at the family's request. It's a bear, but I'm pretty happy with this one.

Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2014 :  9:34:51 PM  Show Profile

And, here it is Sepia toned. I'm very thankful for YouTube tutorials tonight on Photoshop!

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  10:12:10 AM  Show Profile
My son absolutely adores the new camera we bought him for Christmas, Nikon D5200 with the 18 - 140mm lens. It's a good starter lens for him to play with. I bought a back pack type bag which will protect his camera and lens better than a flat bag.
Stephanie: I envy your D200. You'll have a ball carrying a lighter camera. I'm sure you'll do well in your business. I truly want to learn my camera and enjoy this hobby. Thanks for re-upping this challenge. today I will take the winter photo. Weather here has been phenomenal. It doesn't look like winter, blue skies, warn temps. But our deciduous trees certainly speak winter. No snow or rain predicted. And, it looks like you'll be very busy soon--when is baby due? :)

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  1:34:07 PM  Show Profile
The D5200 is a great camera, too. I hope he enjoys the new camera.

The photos I posted aren't of me (thankfully!), but a friend's daughter I did a maternity shoot for. I'm still building my portfolio and this lady was nice enough to let me use her photos for advertising. Editing photos is still frustrating for me, there is such a learning curve to be able to do a professional job and I spent hours last night fixing the model's skin in the photo above. Hopefully as I get better at it then it will go quicker.

What kind of camera do you have Cissi?

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  3:43:06 PM  Show Profile
Sorry about the mixup. Your subject is very pretty.
My Nikon is a D80. Once I master all it's buttons and expand my knowledge of photography, I'll upgrade. I read about the model you are getting and it's a winner. Many photographers feel you don't need a camera to shoot 24+ megapixels as the enlargements may not show a difference. Like there's a limit. It'll be fun to explore the photos my son takes to mine when we enlarged them. I'm curious.
Photoshop does take awhile to learn. There are elessons online that might prove valuable. I took a course a long time ago and learned quite a few basics. I had to use it to clean up and sharpen a graphic which was scanned from a T-shirt. I did a publication for my graduation class. This graphic was done for our class. More than 100 hours were spent on it. Never again! I'm a patient person, but that took me over the fence.
I love photography. Glad to find this challenge.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  4:56:56 PM  Show Profile

Ok, I'm in!

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley
www.joyfulandsimple.wordpress.com

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  6:16:27 PM  Show Profile
The D1X is easier with less buttons than the D70 we have. The consumer cameras have the modes like Portrait and Landscape that the pro models don't. Most of the time my camera is in manual exposure mode and many times I end up manual focusing. The D1X struggles to focus in low light, even with the assist light on my flash, so I have to manual focus often. Most of my cameras prior to the D1X were manual focus/manual exposure, but I am hoping the D200 performs better in low light.

The D200 should be here tomorrow, or so Amazon says. It'll probably be late since I'm waiting for it!

Photoshop is a pain the rump! I scheduled some private lessons at a printing and photography studio in Asheville. My first lesson is on January 18th. Wish I didn't have to use it, but it's kind of mandatory, especially for weddings. Momma (KathyC) needs to learn photoshop so I can just pay her to edit, but so far it hasn't happened yet...

When my business is going good this fall I'm going to either upgrade to a D3s or a D800. And, I need some more lenses. And, a lighting setup. And, a studio. And, some clients! LOL If all goes well, I'll leave my current job in the next few weeks and take a work from home call center position that is part time so I can market myself and see if I can get the business going.

Nice photo Music! Glad to have you.

Edited by - stefffic on Jan 05 2014 6:19:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  6:58:22 PM  Show Profile
Here's my winter photo. On my way home from mommas it was really foggy, so I stopped in a church cemetery to play a bit.

Photo #1

Straight out of the camera, just resized it so I could upload

Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2014 :  7:06:15 PM  Show Profile
And my second winter photo - same spot. These are shot on the tripod at f/10, 10 second exposure, self timer while I ran frantically around trying to make sure I was where I needed to be!

Edit

B&W

Strait out of the camera

If anyone is interested in 'post processing' I'll be happy to help what I can. Picasa is a great, free, easy to use program that you can do basic stuff in. Google's GIMP is free, open source software that is like Photoshop. I subscribe to Photoshop's Creative Cloud so I have access to Photoshop, it's about $10 a month and I like having the tools there. I'm still learning a lot of the post processing stuff, google, Youtube, and Adobe's library are my best friends lately.

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  12:43:26 PM  Show Profile
Gorgeous photos, Stephanie.
My neighbor's tree's symmetry always inspires me. Now there are scrubby trees growing around it, so you can only see its top. I had to wait until it actually looked like "winter" outside to take this shot. So here's my Winter:

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  12:59:34 PM  Show Profile
Just wanted to let you know, my photo was shot in color. Just don't have any today in the foggy, cloudy NW.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  5:01:09 PM  Show Profile
I love trees, Cissi. Mom and I went out and shot some at another cemetery on Sunday morning, but I haven't had time to play with the photos. I want to do a composite image with some fog and other effects on them. Have to get my NYE photo shoot up and edited tonight. As cold as it is here, I'm happy to be in front of the heater with all 6 cats in my chair and stool! It's frigid!

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3075 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3075 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  11:48:23 AM  Show Profile
Here's my winter photo

I am so excited! I just figured out some settings I didn't know my camera had! It has a fish eye view, a toy camera view, a miniature view, etc. I was having a lot of fun taking pictures this morning. It'll be great to use for future weeks. In the next week or so I want to start looking at some of the free editing programs too!

Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  2:27:25 PM  Show Profile
NNDairy -

Picasa is the easiest of the free editors, IMO. Mom uses it and she's technology challenged. GIMP is great, but it's a lot like photoshop and there's a learning curve.

Great photo! I miss snow this year!

Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  2:29:39 PM  Show Profile
I lost my 'real' job today, I'm less sad than I probably should be. So, I spent the afternoon out networking for my photo business and I have some gigs for the town paper and a possible family shoot and a possible wedding in Ohio and one in TN.

While I was out today I also talked to a local store and I'll be doing their EBay/Craigslist marketing for the antique shop on commission basis. Very flexible hours, work from home if needed, and it looks like fun! The store has an old airstream travel trailer to sell and a bunch of neat stuff/junk for me to catalog, photograph and list!

Go to Top of Page

stefffic
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Stephanie
Cherryville NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  05:09:16 AM  Show Profile

My reflection photo - this is my pony, Star, and reflected in her eye is Dusty, her blind pasture mate, and my mother in the blue coat. I thought this was so interesting, didn't plan it, but it worked out perfectly!

Sadly, I have lots of photos of the pony's eye. She's got expressive eyes and shows so much emotion from mischief to love.

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2014 :  09:07:26 AM  Show Profile
I have two winter pictures. I am a pedestrian so I pay attention to the sidewalks. Here are a couple of examples of sidewalks in the winter.

Perfect Winter Sidewalk

Hazardous Winter Sidewalk

Does anyone know how to make portrait pictures orient themselves correctly? I have tried rotating it and that doesn't seem to work.

Marie, Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic 2014 Photo a Week Challenge Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page