True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  12:14:16 PM  Show Profile
Had a good time out to the thrift stores today. I'LL WRITE A LIST DOWN-
Two bags of odds and ends, what fun to go through them, sewing supplies, jewelry making stuff, Halloween, Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving decor. A real neat gift box of old napkins and coasters, put those with my old paper goods, anybody got any ideas on how to use them? lots of wooden beads, paper flowers, satin ribbon. six skeins of yarn, other sewing stuff.
Then I got the cutest wooden purse with a Bakelite handle, it has a velvet lining.
A pedestal cake plate.
A white ironstone pitcher
A white ironstone gravy boat.
A bird planter
Two hardcover Christmas decor and craft books.
A Yankee Church Super Cookbook
Two roaster plates
Two pink teacups
There is other stuff but my mind is beginning to fog up. But anyway, it was a good day for bringing more things into the house that I probably don't really need but love to have.
NANCY JO

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  12:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Nancy Jo! What a haul - I got goosebumps just reading your list ;o) You must have wonderful thrift shops!

susan

Lovin' my life
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  12:51:14 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, Nancy! Love the stuff you found -- especially WHITE IRONSTONE -- what is more beautiful than a side table groaning under the weight of white ironstone dishes just stacked up willy-nilly?? I love that look.

My sojourn to Salvation Army yesterday yielded a miniature Rosenthal white vase with gold trim -- so adorable! 40 cents, a light blue Lu-Ray gravy boat -- 70 cents, a ceramic Santa boot circa 1958 40 cents, two mini wooden shoe sets -- one painted set is attached to RED RICKRACK! YES, I'm shouting! 40 cents each. And if I purchased anything else, Lord knows I don't remember.

Isn't thrifting the best?

Edited by - katie-ell on Nov 02 2006 08:21:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  12:59:24 PM  Show Profile
wow Nancy..I'll say you racked up pretty good girl!way to go.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  1:32:47 PM  Show Profile
OK, that does it! I'm making a day trip to West Seneca! There's never anything like that in the thrift shops here anymore. Must have all been donated years ago.

Although I did get a good haul of books at the Ronald McDonald House charity sale last weekend. And a great oak table for $30 (marked down from $150 because it was the last day of the sale). So I shouldn't complain...

Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  2:04:26 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo- you could use the napkins and coasters for decoupage (wooden trays, boxes, whatever) or use them as framed art...

I also checked out my Salvation Army today- it's 1/2 off week! I got
two pair of pants for my dd (less than $2!)
three books (An Alexander Mccall Smith mystery, Caddie Woodlawn for dd, and something else I can't remember)
one Clue game (complete! for 49 cents), which I plan to arrange like someone was playing it, glue the pieces and hang on the wall in my den
one piece of deimn fabric (doll clothes!) for 15 cents
two beautiful coffe mugs from the textile mill that shut down in town in the last 10 years or so

Grand total- $4.47.

Last week I found a hardback 1950s edition of My Antonia- 50 cents. I also got myself a sweater and a shirt (half off, less than $2 for both)and two other paperbacks of classics to save back for my girls.

I LOVE THRIFT STORES! I've found a first edition of Charlotte's Web (20 cents!) and lots and lots of farbric for doll clothes, not to mention curtains that will turn into something one day.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  2:06:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh- I think we should start a permanent thread for freebies and thrift store shopping. It's so much fun!

I forgot to add that I picked up two free children's books at the library- one with the most amazing pictures. I am thinking I can frame them for my youngest daughter's room.
Go to Top of Page

NanaJulie
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Western New York
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  5:41:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy,
I live in Western New York too. In fact, West Seneca is just a hop, skip and a jump away. What thrift stores are your favorites? We certainly are lucky around here. We have a lot of thrift/consignment type shops around. Most of the time when I go to them though I think "If I just look around my own cupboards, attic, basement or barn, I probably have one of these!" :) I'm a packrat from way back.
Julie
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  12:05:37 AM  Show Profile
NANA-JULIE,
There are three or four thrift stores near here, so good chance of always finding something I think I need. I do garage sales in the good weather and thrift stores when the weather goes to pieces.
What town around here are you living in and have you always lived around here?
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  05:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Wow! Congratulations to everyone on the cool thrift store finds! I agree with Kim about a permanent thread. I really love hearing about everybody's good luck and great finds! Thrift store/yard sale shopping has been my favorite way to shop since I was in my early 20's(another one of those hippy chick 70's things.) I get excited for other people, almost as much as for myself. :)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

NanaJulie
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Western New York
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  07:23:09 AM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy,
I live in South Wales. I've lived in WNY all my life, in this order: Williamsville, East Amherst, East Aurora, South Wales. I love garage sales too. I really don't NEED anything else; heaven knows I've got enough stuff already. It's so hard to resist a good find though, so I keep on going to them.
Julie
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  07:31:47 AM  Show Profile
You girls did ALRIGHT!!! I too am a junk-a-holic and can't resist a good thrift store or curbside capture! Way to go ladies...Keep posting your lastest treasures, we love to hear them!

My latest,hmmmm....can't tell! It might be coming to a mailbox near you! Oldies but goodies for sure!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  10:17:10 AM  Show Profile
Nancy,

Years ago my children and I would make ornaments using paper napkins. You separate the napkin layers and decoupage the design part to a styrofoam ball. While the decoupage medium is still wet you can even sprinkle glitter on the ball. To hang the ornament take a U-shape part of a paper clip, slip a cord or ribbon under the "U" and push it down into the top of the styrofoam ball. I'm not sure about the coasters, but if you can separate the layers so they are thin enough to mold around the ball, they should work too. Real easy, and actually thinned down Elmer's glue works well too.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2006 :  7:49:36 PM  Show Profile
OH OH OH! I went to a rug hooking group this morning and afterwards went into Goodwill...I wasn't finding much UNTIL...There in the back under some ugly old bedspreads...was a HUGE bag of wool rug hooking supplies! Seriously, one of those BIG zippered bags like you buy a coverlet in, FULL of cut wool strips! There was also another bag with about 20 yards of uncut wool... A hooker's DREAM! OK and the price? $3.50 !!!

Then off to the ladies section... Found 10 Old Navy shirts-my size-all new with tags! $2 each! Don't know what that was about, but it sure made my day! I'm thinkin' now I should go through my closets, ala Frannie, & get rid of everything else!

One of my BEST thrift days in a while! What did YOU find this week?
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  04:06:40 AM  Show Profile
Rhonda -- You're the Queen of Thrift this week so far!! Can't believe the 10 shirts for $2. I need to find something like that!!! And I love the huge bag of cut wool strips -- a hooker's dream (and are you a hooker, um, a person who hooks rugs?). Good for you! I'm looking forward to my next Salvation Army trip this Thursday. I have three bags of stuff to donate and that means I have more room for pretty junque. Can't wait!!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  06:48:43 AM  Show Profile
RHONDA,
Way to go Rhonda!! Katie is right, Queen of thrift this week. When I get my body armor and assault riffle I will be going again too.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2006 :  07:59:32 AM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo, make sure the assault rifle is RED to match your purse! Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  2:04:49 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Gals! Got to the Salvation Army thrift store today. Found clothes -- J Jill turtleneck, Eddie Bauer wool sweater (which I may felt and cut up), Victoria Secret sleep-tee (not at all racy, much to my husband's disappointment). A few items for resale: two Hall ceramic holders for artificial sweetener or teabags -- like you'd see in a diner; a plaid tablecloth with spring colors. For me -- a wonderful lime-green plate with gold trim, from Bavaria. So pretty! I may have to use it in my pink and lime-green Christmas decor this year.

And then I found the apron. For 90 cents. It's green gingham check, and has the most amazing horizontal tucks and white jumbo rickrack trim and french knots along the bottom and on the pocket. The poor thing looks like new except for the stains on the front! So I'm debating whether to try to get the stains out or just cut off the pretty bottom section and piece it onto other fabric and make a whole new apron from it. But, hey, I'm excited!

And I hung onto my purs
Go to Top of Page

bohemiangel
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Bridget
Ligonier pa
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2006 :  5:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Send bohemiangel an AOL message  Click to see bohemiangel's MSN Messenger address  Send bohemiangel a Yahoo! Message
WOW thats some good shopping! I'm envious! I need to and want to frequent our salvation army ASAP

"... to thine ownself be true."
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  04:09:42 AM  Show Profile
Ok Gals, I'm keeping this thread going!

Finally got back to the Salvation Army thrift store yesterday -- found a long rag rug runner for $3 and a full-sized all-wool soft green blanket for $3 (which I will probably felt and then cut up for projects). CHRISTMAS items: a tabletop tree of pinecones for 90 cents, and this wonderful item: a homemade Advent calendar which is a wooden tree with little fabric pockets and little treasures tucked into each pocket -- the reverse side of the tree has little brass nails to hang the little treasures on each day of Advent. Very strange and wonderful all at the same time! Oh, for 90 cents.

And my fav this time (and only 40 cents): a 'chair' made of vintage Christmas cards crocheted together -- all Santa cards -- and then the seat flips open -- the underside of the seat is a doggy card, and deep inside is a smiling Santa!! The chair has lots of red and the crocheting is turquoise, so it's that fantastic turquoise-red combo that seems to be popular this year. Fun!

Edited by - katie-ell on Nov 22 2006 07:10:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  07:48:08 AM  Show Profile
Katie,
Some of those things you got I see on ebay and they go for a good price. I saw that Christmas card chair in some collectible magazine, they used to make bowls and all kinds of stuff with used Christmas cards. I don't think I ever saw a chair. The advent thing sounds really cute. needless to say I'am very jealous.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  08:13:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Good for you, Katie! I'm envious of the rag rug and the nice wool blanket(I'd probably have to use it to sleep under the blanket - mine have all worn out at once-LOL). While most of my friends are excited about mall shopping this weekend, I'm wondering if all my thrift stores will be open or if they close for the holiday weekend - LOL!!!

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  10:39:30 AM  Show Profile
Oh Kate, excellent finds! The runner sounds wonderful-and for $3!!! Can't imagine how much you'd pay for new! Forty cents for the little Christmas card chair is soooo cool! I'm with Nancy-my face is green over that one! And wool blankets seem to abound at thrift stores. Maybe people don't know how to care for them? Like you, they are a treasure to me too!

Ohhh Janice, I hadn't thought beyond getting the turkey into the oven...hmmmm, wonder if Goodwill will be open on Friday?

Blessings,
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2006 :  3:42:47 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the chair is a dear. This trip to the SA thrift followed a visit to my favorite antique store, which opened at 11 a.m. on Tuesday all decked out for Christmas. There was a line at the door, but I pulled up precisely at 11, found a 'pull-in' parking place for my pickup directly across the busy street, and walked right into the shop. Found a couple of very cool vintage trees for my cousin who collects; a mini brush wreath; two itty-bitty houses with glitter; and a funky brush tree with glass candles on it. Spent $30 there, with some buyer's remorse but also somewhat happily, and then went to the Salvation Army and felt even happier about my finds there! I think I just love the hunt at the thrift store.

Methinks our thrift stores are open on Friday. Alas, I'm doing Christmas lights for my best client, so will not be able to partake in the thrifty merriment!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic GOOD THRIFT STORE DAY. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page