Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Ailing friend - easy to freeze meal suggestions?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ailing friend - easy to freeze meal suggestions? Next Topic  

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  04:34:49 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies,

I have a friend who will be facing an extended and delicate recovery from bowel-related surgery soon. I mention the type of surgery - sorry - because it may play a part in the meal suggestions. She needs to keep things relatively bland and easy to digest.

Because I like really spicy, kind of different stuff, I am really out of touch with what would be "safe" food that she and her family would enjoy.

I'd like to make them some meals to stick in the freezer and use when needed, and I know freezing can also limit the meal suggestions.

I'm planning the ubiquitous chicken soup.

I have a ham and Swiss cheese gratin casserole that gets bulked up with shredded potato.

I will make a few meat loaves that I know her family can eat, but I am not sure how much beef she'll be able to digest.

What have any of you kind ladies made for families that need a little help with food prep during a hard time?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions-
Cindy

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  10:00:40 AM  Show Profile
Not positive what she can or cannot have, so if my ideas are "wrong" I apologize! Pasta is usually pretty easy to digest - but not sure how much tomato she may want, so what about a white sauce type pasta? Pot pies are usually pretty freezer friendly. We've frozen enchiladas as well, both beef and chicken. Something else we did a lot of when we were expecting our youngest, was to put the meat and veggies with marinade in a freezer bag, ready to throw in the slow cooker in the morning. Rice is also pretty easily digested - I made a chicken rice and broccoli casserole that turned out pretty well.

Do you have any idea what she will not be able to eat? I'm guessing anything with seeds like strawberries, and possibly tomatoes.
Go to Top of Page

emilyrosebud
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Emily
O'Fallon Illinois
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  10:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Send emilyrosebud an AOL message
Squash soup! My friend has pancreas problems....her body does not digest food (particularly fats) properly. She swears by squash soup, and there are many ways to modify it to alter the flavor however you like.

"Make way for the Positive Day! -Bob Marley"
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  12:42:21 PM  Show Profile
Great suggestions, ladies! I am looking up some recipes right now.

Thanks,
CIndy
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  2:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Are you on Pinterest? I have a board called "Freezing Yumminess" if you are, that might help - http://www.pinterest.com/hudsonsinaf/freezing-yumminess/
Go to Top of Page

CindyG
True Blue Farmgirl

293 Posts

Cindy
Fairfax VA
USA
293 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  5:23:49 PM  Show Profile
Holy moly, Shannon! What an incredible collection of ideas - thank you.
Cindy
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2013 :  09:11:51 AM  Show Profile
lol! Pinterest is my "go-to" while I nurse :)
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ailing friend - easy to freeze meal suggestions? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page