Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Has anyone built an outdoor bread oven?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Has anyone built an outdoor bread oven? Next Topic  

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  09:13:50 AM  Show Profile
My husband has always wanted an outdoor pizza/bread oven. Has anyone ever build one? I have gotten several books from the library and found this website: http://www.traditionaloven.com It looks like it may not be very expensive and might be a lot of fun. Would love anyone's tips for building one. I think I may have just found a great spring project for the hubby.

Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  09:33:09 AM  Show Profile
I want one of these too!

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  10:13:35 AM  Show Profile
Harrowsmith Magazine had a really indepth article on how to build and use one. It really doesn't look too difficult...the hard part would be sourcing the clay. I think it would be a really fun project.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2006 :  12:08:47 PM  Show Profile
I saw lots of them in Taos, New Mexico when I was there, but none were being used at the time. They looked very fun and interesting. They matched the houses so I guess they would be made from adobe kinda stuff
Go to Top of Page

emma.birdwhistle
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Elizabeth Ann
Ontario
Canada
187 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  06:55:29 AM  Show Profile
I second the recommendation of the article in Harrowsmith magazine. A friend of mine built the oven in the article, and she has two outside her own home. She is going to help me build one at some point - I just haven't been able to organize it yet. When I do, I promise to post pictures. For the time being, though, the Harrowsmith article might be very helpful. It was featured in the August 2004 issue (No. 177).

- Elizabeth Ann

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  08:40:19 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the information on Harrowsmith. My library does not keep articles that old. I am going to email them now and see if I can buy a back copy.

Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2006 :  09:43:12 AM  Show Profile
If you have no luck Laura, email me and I'll copy and mail it off to you.
Diane
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2006 :  09:09:32 AM  Show Profile
I'AM STILL TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO BAKE BREAD IN MY KITCHEN.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  07:16:46 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Oh, I want one of these too! The kids and I were going to make one this past spring, but life happened. Since we don't use an a/c cooking is very limited at our house durring the summer, having an outdoor oven would be awesome! I don't mind living on salad, fresh veggies, cold meats, etc...but I do miss bread durring the summer.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

~Tracey~
True Blue Farmgirl

351 Posts

Tracey
TN
USA
351 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2006 :  8:42:24 PM  Show Profile
I have wanted one for a long time too but dh says he has enough projects on his hands right now and he is right. So, I will sub to this thread to glean ideas and hopefully see some photos soon, Elizabeth Ann

Tracey,
mama to Callum 13, Katie 8, Wil 5.5, Benjamin 3 and Andrew 7 months!!

http://hansenhootenanny.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Has anyone built an outdoor bread oven? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page